BUMMER>>>>> | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BUMMER>>>>>

I try to educate people with the process and learn a thing or two myself. No offense taken. We all know where SU is at. It means nothing to not have 10 commitments in early June. Each cycle is different.
It does and it doesn't. There does always seem to be a momentum aspect to recruiting and doing well seems to put programs in a positive light. Whether or not that really has any impact on kids, who knows. Also think that the kids committing earlier are primary targets opposed to kids committing post initial signing window. Obviously that may not always be the case but think its probably more accurate then not. Can also make the argument that the later offers come with a chance to see more of the kids development and how they progress in their SR season.

Just overall I think it's perfectly fair when we have historically not recruited as well as our competition to get nervous when it's mid-June and we are 14th out of 14 in commits within our conference. Will it matter in the long run? Who knows but it's something that should be able to be discussed in the middle of June when there isn't really anything else going on. We have all had our expectations of the program dragged down so low that many people seem to have now become sensitive to any back and forth that includes things that may be perceived negatively and would rather pretend everything is great and block out things that may be concerning to some. This last line not pointed at you but can just see it by some of the responses OP received for daring bring up something that wasn't rainbows and puppies.

we are who we are, no matter when we get kids, in April or June or September, we are going to end up ranked at best in the low 50s and more likely high 50s to low 60s. Considering there are very few P5 schools that have been worse than us in the last 20 years and considering the lack of talent in our home state, it is what it is, give or take 8-10 slots in the rankings, and even once you hit the 40s it's splitting hairs. Where we have failed mightily is developing players, particularly at QB, the single most important position in sports. and, yes, definitely not nearly enough raw QB talent in the room in general. The staff we have for 2022 looks to me to be our best, on paper, since 2012, so hopefully things can start to turn around on that front. Should we expect to have a roster full of recruits with Power 5 offers? yes. Should we expect 4 star HS kids? no, that's where the portal comes in, former 4 star kids who want to get on the field. Oh, and with completely unethical guys like Dohn helping to create these rankings with their biased crap, that doesn't help either

Last year we had 9 commits at this time. Year before we had 10. It is about where we were in 2019 though. Not the end of the world on June 13th but it's more than fair as a talking point on a Syracuse football message board. Seems the people offended by such a question prefer crickets on the recruiting boards like it is the majority of the time.
Crickets? Never. In recruiting you are always playing the long game. That's why it's always interesting to see where the coaches are visiting, who they invite to camp, a game or a visit and who they offer.

The portal is also going to change when and who is offered/commits.

And I think I'll wait to see what the number of commitments is in July.

I'm not sure how many ships we can give out this year, but the off season was a home run. Only miss was on the DL. I think that things are looking up. The staff on paper is the best we have had since P was coaching and we seem to be getting a ton of quality kids interested in the program. The effort in NJ is impressive and we are focused on our core area for the first time since Dino got here. I think we end up with a solid class.
Let's see we have brought in possibly 3 Quality QB's. One is recommit to Anae and Beck from Virginia. We also are bringing in 2 transfers from the portal.
That already is a win in recruiting.

It does and it doesn't. There does always seem to be a momentum aspect to recruiting and doing well seems to put programs in a positive light. Whether or not that really has any impact on kids, who knows. Also think that the kids committing earlier are primary targets opposed to kids committing post initial signing window. Obviously that may not always be the case but think its probably more accurate then not. Can also make the argument that the later offers come with a chance to see more of the kids development and how they progress in their SR season.

Just overall I think it's perfectly fair when we have historically not recruited as well as our competition to get nervous when it's mid-June and we are 14th out of 14 in commits within our conference. Will it matter in the long run? Who knows but it's something that should be able to be discussed in the middle of June when there isn't really anything else going on. We have all had our expectations of the program dragged down so low that many people seem to have now become sensitive to any back and forth that includes things that may be perceived negatively and would rather pretend everything is great and block out things that may be concerning to some. This last line not pointed at you but can just see it by some of the responses OP received for daring bring up something that wasn't rainbows and puppies.
I never said it’s not fair. Who is saying that? Isn’t it also fair that people respond? Aren’t the people who have questions or concerns looking for insight to help them better understand what’s going on?

Since when is celebrating and talking about the good things is ignoring and pretending everything is great? I’m lost on that comment. Everyone should be miserable because the team is not winning?

Last edited:
I never said it’s not fair. Who is saying that? Isn’t it also fair that people respond? Aren’t the people who have questions or concerns looking for insight to help them better understand what’s going on?

Since when is celebrating and talking about the good things is ignoring and pretending everything is great? I’m lost on that comment. Everyone should be miserable because the team is not winning?

YES.
We should spend ALL OFFSEASON being miserable that we only won 5 games last year, and have won ZERO games this year.

We should not even consider one iota of happiness about the GRAND SLAM new coaching hires, nor the transfers, nor the 4* QB, nor the Dome improvements, nor the new Dome sponsorship, none if it!!

We should already have a class of at least 15+ croots, all averaging at least 4 stars, and anything less than that at this moment in time is abject failure.

We have a 4 star QB committed for the current class. What an asinine post to make on June 13th.
I don't know much about our recruiting, but the fact that we landed a top priority QB at this stage tells me that we are ahead of recent years. The numbers may not be there yet, but I have the vibe that we are being more selective than previous years, because we have a shot at higher level players.

Crickets? Never. In recruiting you are always playing the long game. That's why it's always interesting to see where the coaches are visiting, who they invite to camp, a game or a visit and who they offer.

The portal is also going to change when and who is offered/commits.

And I think I'll wait to see what the number of commitments is in July.
I meant more so our discussions and interactions on here. Not for the actual team.

We have a 4 star QB committed for the current class. What an asinine post to make on June 13th.
Not to be a turd but where is he a 4 star? I'm more than happy with Sellers in the class but unless he recently got downgraded, I can't find him as a 4 star anywhere. He's not too close on 247, rivals or ESPN though is 15th on ON3 which is 1 position behind the last 4 star guy. Outside of the top dozen it's splitting hairs I imagine for the next 20/30 guys and the situation they enter is probably almost important as their actual skill level.

I think he meant the transfer from Florida.

We could be Rutgers and push for commitments from guys with no P5 offers whose Hudl tapes are frankly mehhh. The kids we have visiting the next 2 weeks have 1 or more P5 offers. Again we are gonna have a smaller class, so regardless of ratings, 247 is gonna put us in the back because more commits for some reason boost your class rank.

We probably have the strongest QB group we have ever had and he's complaining we only have 3 recruits for 2023.
Worry about what we have for this year, 2023vis a long way off, and the Portal will be open again.
Fill in next year's class with people from the portal who can come in and compete immediately.

We hoped/thought things would change. Yet they seemingly remain the same.
Cuse got its last verbal commitment on 4/9. Since then in the ACC, 13 schools
have received 62 commitments...almost 5 per school on average.
Cuse has seen its class ranking go from the mid 40s to the mid 60s.
Can Cuse make up for lost time?
Boooooooooo! Additional insult!

So after the next two weekends worth of visits, when we land another 3-5 commits from those visitors, will the world still be coming to an end?

we are who we are, no matter when we get kids, in April or June or September, we are going to end up ranked at best in the low 50s and more likely high 50s to low 60s. Considering there are very few P5 schools that have been worse than us in the last 20 years and considering the lack of talent in our home state, it is what it is, give or take 8-10 slots in the rankings, and even once you hit the 40s it's splitting hairs. Where we have failed mightily is developing players, particularly at QB, the single most important position in sports. and, yes, definitely not nearly enough raw QB talent in the room in general. The staff we have for 2022 looks to me to be our best, on paper, since 2012, so hopefully things can start to turn around on that front. Should we expect to have a roster full of recruits with Power 5 offers? yes. Should we expect 4 star HS kids? no, that's where the portal comes in, former 4 star kids who want to get on the field. Oh, and with completely unethical guys like Dohn helping to create these rankings with their biased crap, that doesn't help either
Preach

We hoped/thought things would change. Yet they seemingly remain the same.
Cuse got its last verbal commitment on 4/9. Since then in the ACC, 13 schools
have received 62 commitments...almost 5 per school on average.
Cuse has seen its class ranking go from the mid 40s to the mid 60s.
Can Cuse make up for lost time?
CL...you can say something ugly...no problem.
CUSE is 73-110 the last 15 years. Orange fans can take ugly.

So far as paying attention as to when CUSE normally gets commitments...
Why? cuz it has worked so well in the past? How many recruiting classes have
we had in the past 20 years in the top 50? I think Scott Shafer had one. But many
in that class couldn't show up for various reasons. In reality, it wasn't a top 50 class.

It's like we have to hit an inside straight to be low middle of the pack with other ACC schools.
Personally, I thought these posts were terrible and uninformed. An honest suggestion is that you read and listen more to others before posting again.

Personally, I thought these posts were terrible and uninformed. An honest suggestion is that you read and listen more to others before posting again.
OK...what facts offered do you disagree with?

The average rating is actually really good for Syracuse. Up there with many in the top 25 right now.
no argument there...you are absolutely right.
My point was simply while other programs have added to their class of 2023,
CUSE has had a recruiting slump. And that has been a pattern more times than not.
My post had nothing to do with transfers. Only the class of 2023.
I'd like nothing more than to see CUSE at #8 in the ACC after the first week in February 2023.

no argument there...you are absolutely right.
My point was simply while other programs have added to their class of 2023,
CUSE has had a recruiting slump. And that has been a pattern more times than not.
My post had nothing to do with transfers. Only the class of 2023.
I'd like nothing more than to see CUSE at #8 in the ACC after the first week in February 2023.
This is actually the first time I feel good about our recruiting this early. Getting a 1st choice QB to start the class has clearly been problematic for Cuse. Getting that piece immediately makes me confident they will get the pieces this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom