Buss with an epic brick | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buss with an epic brick

I would honestly take Elvir Ovcina from three than these two. I'm not kidding. :(
That's an odd post. Elvir was a good 3 point shooter. Why wouldn't you take him?

He still needs to play even if he can't hit a 3

Maybe he needs to try to get a layup or 15 foot jumper before he starts bombing threes. Or would that be too logical?

You let offensive players settle in by keeping them in the game for 5 minutes. defensive players more often can be used better then offensive ones for short 2-3 minute stretches, presses, and quick mismatch set pieces to get a easy bucket.

maybe, Buss should work on his shooting more then his d in practice.

He probably does and is just too eager to try to get more PT. I think RP is going to make contributions this year.

Dcuse said:
That's an odd post. Elvir was a good 3 point shooter. Why wouldn't you take him?

Good compared to Buss and BJ, but 24% for his career I wouldn't call it good.

Watching Patterson in warm ups, I was amazed how badly he missed wide open threes. I mean, he was airballing in warmups, hitting the very front of the rim and causing the ball to go straight down, and hitting the side of the backboard.

His steal was impressive, however. Maybe he should put on 15 lbs and play cornerback.

It never ceases to amaze me how fans like to kick out players when they are down. For sure, that shot was epic "brickian" but come on... Buss was 3 for 5 in an exhibition game where nobody else could even sniff the rim from the 3. He has taken some ill advised shots but he doesn't deserve to be completely thrown under the bus. (oops.. that was completely unintended)

There have been plenty of epic bricks launched thus far this season and we haven't seen the end of them. Patterson provides some valuable aspects to the team and defensively at the top of the zone his play is amazing to watch. As for BJ... he is supposed to be a "shooter" so his bricks being highlighted is perhaps a bit less egregious but he is a freshman who has had REALLY limited playing time and I'd be willing to bet he is less than "comfortable" out there when he is put in the game. The day will come when it's likely he will be one of, if not the best shooter from 3 that we have.

It never ceases to amaze me how fans like to kick out players when they are down. For sure, that shot was epic "brickian" but come on... Buss was 3 for 5 in an exhibition game where nobody else could even sniff the rim from the 3. He has taken some ill advised shots but he doesn't deserve to be completely thrown under the bus. (oops.. that was completely unintended)

There have been plenty of epic bricks launched thus far this season and we haven't seen the end of them. Patterson provides some valuable aspects to the team and defensively at the top of the zone his play is amazing to watch. As for BJ... he is supposed to be a "shooter" so his bricks being highlighted is perhaps a bit less egregious but he is a freshman who has had REALLY limited playing time and I'd be willing to bet he is less than "comfortable" out there when he is put in the game. The day will come when it's likely he will be one of, if not the best shooter from 3 that we have.
He was 3-for-5 in an exhibition game...and he's 5-of-28 when it counts. That's not kicking him when he's down, it's merely pointing out the fact that he's not a good shooter. He's not even a streaky shooter. That 3-for-5 performance was the anomaly here. He brings some things to the table, but shooting absolutely is not one of them right now.

He was 3-for-5 in an exhibition game...and he's 5-of-28 when it counts. That's not kicking him when he's down, it's merely pointing out the fact that he's not a good shooter. He's not even a streaky shooter. That 3-for-5 performance was the anomaly here. He brings some things to the table, but shooting absolutely is not one of them right now.
Given... but (and playing devil's advocate here) there have been periods of time when some of our best 3 pt. shooters historically have had similar poor streaks. 28 shots is not really a large enough sample size to come to a definitive conclusion with respect to what type of shooter someone is over the long haul.

I too, can be counted among those who are of the belief that Ron Patterson is not for the most part a player that we want taking 3 point shots. My point is that people can be so quick to criticize a player when they make a gaffe and within the context of insinuating the gaffe is indicative of their larger overall play.

Flacusian said:
My point is that people can be so quick to criticize a player when they make a gaffe and within the context of insinuating the gaffe is indicative of their larger overall play.

The three point shot is 90% of his offensive game, to go with a suspect handle and the occasional nice pass in transition. On the defensive side he's an average defender who covers solid ground but gets blown by as much as the next guy.

Given... but (and playing devil's advocate here) there have been periods of time when some of our best 3 pt. shooters historically have had similar poor streaks. 28 shots is not really a large enough sample size to come to a definitive conclusion with respect to what type of shooter someone is over the long haul.

I too, can be counted among those who are of the belief that Ron Patterson is not for the most part a player that we want taking 3 point shots. My point is that people can be so quick to criticize a player when they make a gaffe and within the context of insinuating the gaffe is indicative of their larger overall play.

Their bad streaks were surrounded by good streaks.

And you can't point out how well he did in a single exhibition game and then say that 28 shots in 13 regular season games is not a relevant sample.

Their bad streaks were surrounded by good streaks.

And you can't point out how well he did in a single exhibition game and then say that 28 shots in 13 regular season games is not a relevant sample.
And you could even extend it back to last year, when he was just 6-of-19 on the year. That's 11-of-47 overall, for anyone keeping track at home. I think that's a big enough sample size to determine that he's not a particularly gifted jump shooter.

jekelish said:
And you could even extend it back to last year, when he was just 6-of-19 on the year. That's 11-of-47 overall, for anyone keeping track at home. I think that's a big enough sample size to determine that he's not a particularly gifted jump shooter.

Which would be fine that he's not a good jump shooter, if that's the case, can he shoot from mid range? Can he drive? I mean, nobody knows, he shoots from three and that's about it.

His passing and handling is suspect. I'm honestly confused to where we go with him.

Buss seems like the most likable guy on the team if you ask me. He has the genuine smile, he hustles, he looks like a good kid and I want nothing but success for him. But I feel bad for him, the way this season is going and one top 30 and one top 80 recruit coming in over him is going to crush even the little playing time he is getting now.

image.jpg
He did catch the lower left corner of the backboard.

I was at the game. I and the people with me all cheered encouragement for Buss every time he got the ball or made a play on D. We wanted him to succeed... and we wanted him to know we wanted him to succeed. Sounds like some folks here are ready to write him off.

cto said:
I was at the game. I and the people with me all cheered encouragement for Buss every time he got the ball or made a play on D. We wanted him to succeed... and we wanted him to know we wanted him to succeed. Sounds like some folks here are ready to write him off.

I'm not discrediting your efforts by any means but it just seems if you have to make it a point to cheer a guy for not screwing up then he clearly has glaring issues in his game that need to be fixed. I want him to succeed as we need guard depth big time, it's just not happening. As far as writing him off, it's to the point where he's probably going to play less than he even did last year with the guards we have coming in. I'm not writing him off, I just don't see how he fits this team, didn't when we signed him, didn't last year, don't this year and even less after we over recruited him twice.

Which would be fine that he's not a good jump shooter, if that's the case, can he shoot from mid range? Can he drive? I mean, nobody knows, he shoots from three and that's about it.

His passing and handling is suspect. I'm honestly confused to where we go with him.

Buss seems like the most likable guy on the team if you ask me. He has the genuine smile, he hustles, he looks like a good kid and I want nothing but success for him. But I feel bad for him, the way this season is going and one top 30 and one top 80 recruit coming in over him is going to crush even the little playing time he is getting now.

He's perfect from the line this year: 0 for 0.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure why everyone is discounting Patterson getting PT. I don't think anyone is expecting him to be scorer but what he offers is the ability to spell Cooney and/or Joseph at the G position. He plays good defense and doesn't turn the ball over. He also hasn't been just chucking shots up but passing the ball and seems to be playing within the flow of the offense (actually, I can say that about the entire team recently, which is a good thing). I do think he can rebound better - he missed opportunities several times when he has been in, but he is doing well (I think) in giving Joseph and/or Cooney a break during games.

Maybe I'm missing the intention of the posts here, but he seems like a pretty valuable part of this year's team as long as he doesn't make too many mistakes, plays solid D and is able to present himself as something of an offensive threat ... and maybe that's where the dig is at? Still, someone needs to give Joseph/Cooney a break.

The three point shot is 90% of his offensive game, to go with a suspect handle and the occasional nice pass in transition. On the defensive side he's an average defender who covers solid ground but gets blown by as much as the next guy.

When Buss is is at his aggressive animal peak for short stretches, he is one of the two best defenders on this team, with rak. And easily, noticably, the best pressure defender of all our guard/forwards with his rediculous wingspan when his hands are up, utilizing his lightning lateral speed. As JB would say its not even close. All the scouts were right on this one, we got a pressure defender use him as such, short stretches aggressive long arms, physical, with 5 fouls to give for reach ins. I say 2-3 minute streches max.

BJ is only a average defender lateral speed wise for a zone defense right now imo, but a very solid rebounder. Hes in a sophmore Southerland situation as hes a shooter, with only ok defense but a better rebounder and blocking abilities. I would say BJ is still alittle behind Soph Southerland though, as at this point hes not quite ready yet, as he tends to shoot much better with a slower release only. He is ahead of where Mookie was though, as he rebounds and isn't to slow defenisvely with a much better handle.

In conclusion imo, BJ has to take one of two paths for the next few weeks.
Either give the 2 minutes of full half court trap defense for short stretches like buss does, and slow up on his release and shooting himself into long playing stretches. Option two in practice keep focusing on making shots stepping into them, with mental confidence, quickening his release. Once he learns that he will take off and get 25 plus minutes a game.

Either way he needs to buy into one of those paths confidently to get some identity. Its going be tough for him to get minutes this year with roberson, mccullough blossoming slowly and gbinije leaning towards forward.

imo, Roberson needs to keep doing what he has been doing slashing to the basket from the high/mid post ala Jeremy Grant rolling off his defender some. And McCullough go straight up no crazy hook shot layups, stick with the simple ones instead, be physical out there.

Last edited:
Remember when people were saying he should play over Cooney and citing his ability to knock down threes? Ha, good times.

bad day for the folks with both the pro bench and anti JB agendas

Apparently I'm blind...i think he has been playing pretty well. On offense he has settled down and is running the offense. He isn't just bombing away when he's out there anymore. Hes looking to distribute the ball and swing it to the right guy. He also makes stronger passes than the floaters passes Joseph throws. The threes he took were not forced and he has looked to make passes. Hopefully he works on his shooting before and after practice and they start to fall. He had some assists and looked to feed the post. he isn't going to come in offensively and do anything out of the ordinary because he doesn't have the leash to do so.

I actually enjoy watching him play up top in the zone with cooney. They both move well together and have active hands. He also is pysical enough to get around a screen. When joseph is on defense Cooney has to over compensate too much to help joseph out. I personally feel Joseph is a bad defender in the zone and puts the other guys in bad spots to help him. I'm actually happy JB is playing mike strictly at forward and have Ron be the third guard. 5 or 6 minutes a half are good minutes for him and gives joseph a breather. I'm on the Buss

Apparently I'm blind...i think he has been playing pretty well. On offense he has settled down and is running the offense. He isn't just bombing away when he's out there anymore. Hes looking to distribute the ball and swing it to the right guy. He also makes stronger passes than the floaters passes Joseph throws. The threes he took were not forced and he has looked to make passes. Hopefully he works on his shooting before and after practice and they start to fall. He had some assists and looked to feed the post. he isn't going to come in offensively and do anything out of the ordinary because he doesn't have the leash to do so.

I actually enjoy watching him play up top in the zone with cooney. They both move well together and have active hands. He also is pysical enough to get around a screen. When joseph is on defense Cooney has to over compensate too much to help joseph out. I personally feel Joseph is a bad defender in the zone and puts the other guys in bad spots to help him. I'm actually happy JB is playing mike strictly at forward and have Ron be the third guard. 5 or 6 minutes a half are good minutes for him and gives joseph a breather. I'm on the Buss

I think we all see that he does things that can help this team. But if he's going to shoot as much as he does, the got to find the basket more than he does. Maybe he should take a cue for Cooney and put the ball on the floor more.