Buying a new TV | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buying a new TV

4k looks great, if you are a gamer or watch about the 5 things that are actually using it. Where it looks best is in a store standing 3ft from a huge tv screen. once you get 15ft away from a 50 tv it becomes less useful.

new tvs are designed to last 3-5 yrs and are dirt cheap so no value in fixing them like 30 yrs ago, buy cheap, if it fails buy again, it will usually fail quickly if its really got issues.

a little value in buying higher end models but they still only last marginally better, you get a little better sound and picture but for the money most wont care.

if you go smart stay with firestick/roku tvs as they will tend to upgrade the software. if you go with other smart tvs you may be out of luck getting some pretty routine channel streams to work.

they are almost giving away smart tvs for same cost as non-smart so no downside most of the time.

if you are using sound bars almost all the tvs will sound great.

Lot of good advice in this post.

I would add that motion rates are most noticed when watching cable feeds for sporting events.

Motion rates are less important when streaming content.

I recommend buying a TCL Roku tv because you'll end up paying less to own the TV over 3-5 years than you would for a Netflix subscription over the same period.

I replaced my Samsung plasma 60" after my son broke it last year or so. I picked up a Samsung LED 65" and truly hate it. But it was over a grand so it's not going anywhere soon. It's awful with sports. I should have upgraded.
We have an 8 year old Samsung plasma and I hope that it never breaks. I've never seen a tv that I like more.

We have an 8 year old Samsung plasma and I hope that it never breaks. I've never seen a tv that I like more.
I have a 7 year old Panasonic plasma that I like better than my new 4k LED.

I've got another plasma on the first floor that's only a 46 and it's a WAY better TV than the newer LED. and I think that plasma is going on 10 years or more

Think it is the MU6300 Series.

I bought the MU8000 last year and don't like it either. Really regret not going with the Sony 900E. Ordered the 900F from the Exchange around Thanksgiving for $1199 and it got backordered and then cancelled. Haven't seen it for anywhere near that price since.

The old one has died. I started looking online and was pleasantly surprised at how prices have dropped. So I am now moving into the world of smart TV. Is there a feature I should definitely have? Some say they have built in Alexa. Does that give you the ability to control the TV with voice commands? General suggestions? Looking at about 50".

What is your budget and what is important to you? At 55" you can get something solid in the $500 range and something great for $900. At 65" you can get something solid around $800 and something great around $1300/1400.

What is your budget and what is important to you? At 55" you can get something solid in the $500 range and something great for $900. At 65" you can get something solid around $800 and something great around $1300/1400.
Ended up with a 50" Insignia for $279 which is crazy.

Don't let boys throw empty Gatorade bottles at each other anywhere that TV then.

We still have our 32" Sharp Aquos LCD from 2009. Works perfectly. Paid $400 at Walmart, which we thought was a bargain at the time (it actually was).

Thinking of upgrading in size a little, but that's it. Same brand again, or maybe 1 of 2 or 3 others. I have a general policy against buying technology that is brand new (gotta work the bugs out), or from a brand not experienced with new sectors. No washing machines from t.v. or phone manufacturers for me, thank you.

I have a 7 year old Panasonic plasma that I like better than my new 4k LED.

I gave a 2008 Panasonic plasma to my brother a few years ago because I couldn't find a mount to safely hang it on a wall after remodeling the family room (it's a 50', 88 lbs behemoth).

I'm glad he's kept it because it still blows away any other tv I've seen for live sports.

We still have our 32" Sharp Aquos LCD from 2009. Works perfectly. Paid $400 at Walmart, which we thought was a bargain at the time (it actually was).

Thinking of upgrading in size a little, but that's it. Same brand again, or maybe 1 of 2 or 3 others. I have a general policy against buying technology that is brand new (gotta work the bugs out), or from a brand not experienced with new sectors. No washing machines from t.v. or phone manufacturers for me, thank you.

That's not going to be possible. Sharp stopped making TVs in 2015. They now have just licensed out the name to Hisense, so please don't fall for that.

I bought a Samsung QLED (Q7F) about a year ago. Bought the soundbar, and the no gap wall mount, sits perfectly flat against the wall, and only has one small wire to deal with.

I hug that thing more than my children. Love it. (It's mutual. The kids like it more than they like me).

I did no interest financing and they let you setup auto payments, so you can set it and forget it. Most places don't let you setup an auto payment for these because they want to miss a payment somewhere along the way, make up the back interest.

Yeah, all the televisions in my house are Samsung. Won’t get anything different, TBH.

my problem is my family room has 4-5 TVS at any one time.. you get all the same brand and controlling sound becomes an issue.

my problem is my family room has 4-5 TVS at any one time.. you get all the same brand and controlling sound becomes an issue.

Wait. Did you say that right? You have four to five televisions in one room?

Got a firestick enabled 4k smart toshiba and love it

Wait. Did you say that right? You have four to five televisions in one room?
how do you watch multiple games at one time? tonight probbaly have the SU on the big tv and hockey games on the smaller 43" tvs and wont use the other 2 unless some streaming idea comes up.

great for bowl season, NCAA tourney and random sat/sun during fball season.

how do you watch multiple games at one time? tonight probbaly have the SU on the big tv and hockey games on the smaller 43" tvs and wont use the other 2 unless some streaming idea comes up.

Jesus. I love this.

wait, so how do you guys watch games, play xbox and gamble at the same time? you using phones?

You're my hero.

I only have 2 TVs in the whole house. We don't have one in our bedroom even.

wait, so how do you guys watch games, play xbox and gamble at the same time? you using phones?

My son plays Xbox in his bedroom using an old monitor that he stole from my home office. I don't gamble.

You're my hero.

I only have 2 TVs in the whole house. We don't have one in our bedroom even.
dang 2.. what is it the dark ages.. tvs are dirt cheap.

what do you watch while you are "working"in the basement?