Buzz Williams to Va. Tech per ESPN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buzz Williams to Va. Tech per ESPN

There's talk of Howland to WFU. I don't think that a BE or AAC school can hire a coach that an ACC school wants. We'll see.

Wake Forest or BC should go after Howland. They need a face to the program.

:bang:

I hope they start calling the T's for coaches on the floor next season. Buzz will be there without a doubt.

Man, I thought we were done with that guy. Great hire, but geez, not again.

I was going to say this is stunning because it seems like a step down, but the reality is this just underlines the state of basketball in the dual conferences we escaped. It's truly, now, going from a mid major to a high major to move from Marquette to Va Tech.

Jeff Goodman‏@GoodmanESPN4 mins
Here's an interesting name that will surface for Marquette, per source: Gregg Marshall.

Jeff Goodman‏@GoodmanESPN4 mins
Here's an interesting name that will surface for Marquette, per source: Gregg Marshall.
o-LAVERNE-AND-SHIRLEY-570.jpg

It tells you that the Big East is a mid major, at least it is to Buzz Williams. And, Blacksburg is prettier than Milwaukee.
Two different environments...college town vs. big city. Milwaukee is an excellent city to live in with lots happening. Reminds me of a Chicago neighborhood and MU has a big time hoops atmosphere averaging nearly 15k per home game with Tradition.
My son attends MU and they knew it was only a matter of time before Buzz moved on. Rumors have it that Buzz over-stayed his welcome and po'd the administration at MU.
Good luck to Curly!

Has it ever been the case than an up-and-coming coach has succeeded by going to a middle-of-the-pack team in a power conference? It always seems like a kiss of death.

Wow.

Poor Marquette.

I never wanted to play this guy again.
My feeling exactly, exactly.
But you know, ignore Calhoun to BC, and Duke's flameout, ACC hoops is positioning itself well.

Solid hire by VT, though this is a different situation for him. At Marquette he inherited a program that was in solid shape and had a history of success, and he managed to sustain it for 6 years, which is commendable nonetheless.

VT is/has none of these things. Turning them around is a tall order.

Still can't believe he got out of Morgantown alive. D-Bagger.
Ha ha that was the second thought when I heard this. After holy s h t .
Theyll come over the Shenandoahs for him.

Has it ever been the case than an up-and-coming coach has succeeded by going to a middle-of-the-pack team in a power conference? It always seems like a kiss of death.

I agree. I bet he is out of V Tech in 4 years on on TV.

Here's the thing about Buzz (and a lot of other coaches), even if he flops at VT, he can go back to a high mid-major program without much issue.

I cannot stand that guy. A reason to get the VT hatred going again.

Here's the thing about Buzz (and a lot of other coaches), even if he flops at VT, he can go back to a high mid-major program without much issue.

I do agree with this. Buzz Williams will be a college basketball college at a legit program forever.

But I think what you want is to coach a championship level team. Vpi is not that team. So the question is whether changing jobs brings him closer or further to that job. And I think history strongly suggests that the answer is "further".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom