Bye, bye bowl games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bye, bye bowl games

"At the end of the day, they are still fun for the players and many fans."

finish 11th in your division and think you deserve a bowl game ? right. didn't look like the players or fans had "fun"

I was there and it was a lot of fun. We got to tailgate with other fans and board members, we watched the basketball game on a big screen in the parking lot. I had fun meeting members in person. Ate good food that's normally not on my diet and drank ice cold beverages. Our seats were great and convenient to the concessions and the weather was decent. The game results sucked from our perspective but everyone that I spoke with and texted with really enjoyed themselves. I'm looking forward to the next one.

I was there and it was a lot of fun. We got to tailgate with other fans and board members, we watched the basketball game on a big screen in the parking lot. I had fun meeting members in person. Ate good food that's normally not on my diet and drank ice cold beverages. Our seats were great and convenient to the concessions and the weather was decent. The game results sucked from our perspective but everyone that I spoke with and texted with really enjoyed themselves. I'm looking forward to the next one.
guess that's where you and i differ as fans. no matter how good the food was. no matter how nice the room and the people were. no matter how good my parking spot was or how short the flight line was.
i'm pissed off about having to sit through that joke of a game and the money i wasted to watch that disaster.

guess that's where you and i differ as fans. no matter how good the food was. no matter how nice the room and the people were. no matter how good my parking spot was or how short the flight line was.
i'm pissed off about having to sit through that joke of a game and the money i wasted to watch that disaster.
Some of us don't consider the money we spent supporting the team and the school "wasted".

how magnanimous . sit and suffer . then fly home. as i stated better off if the whole team missed the flight.

Bowl games are created by local chambers of commerce and tourist bureaus. TV/cable buys the rights to telecast to have product and sell ads. That's not going away.
That assumes a growing and vibrant viewership? I’d bet interest goes down over time unless they work NIL compensation in to offset the best players sitting out.

When I travel a long distance for a game I try to plan additional activities with the game itself, there is always the chance the game will be a complete clunker like Wednesday. Golf, sightseeing, Tailgating ……… I have learned that from many away game and bowl trips.

When I travel a long distance for a game I try to make plan additional activities with the game itself, there is always the chance the game will be a complete clunker like Wednesday. Golf, sightseeing, Tailgating ……… I have learned that from many away game and bowl trips.

Did the double header on our trip to the Orange Bowl.

Dolphins vs Bills, then SU vs Florida. It took a little more than an hour to drive from Joe Robbie to Little Havana.

Wow! You should learn to compartmentalize your thoughts. As I said, the performance by the team was borderline comical but that's not going to ruin my day. If you have to worry about the price of the ticket, you probably shouldn't go to games. As I said, it was much more than the game and I had a great time.

how magnanimous . sit and suffer . then fly home. as i stated better off if the whole team missed the flight.
Was the game what we wanted? No.

Do I consider eating with and seeing friends before and after the BOWL game having a good time?

Yes. Yes, I do.

Sorry you disagree. I guess you can save your money until we make the NC game.

i can fly to any florida beach and tan. if i pay extra for tickets to watch my team get destroyed ... WOW.
but obviously you enjoyed the carnage. myself i would have walked out at the half for some stone crabs.
Gotta know When to say When.

Last edited:
While on this topic, can we discuss how the expanded playoffs will impact bowl games?

When we went to the four game playoff, existing bowl games were given the host rights to all 4 games.

My understanding is that with the 12 game format, the top 4 seeds will given byes, and seeds 5 through 12 will play each other with seeds 5-8 being the home team and the games played at their home stadia. So I would think these games will have no impact on bowl games other than there will be 8 less schools available for bowls to choose from.

Then the 1-4 seeds play the 4 winners of the 5-12 games. I believe these games will be neutral site games played in normal warm weather bowl locations so they probably will also be bowl games.

After that, we have a 4 team playoff and presumably the same type of bowl participation and rotation we have been using.

So bottom line is, 4 more bowl games become part of the playoffs and there will be 4 less bowl worthy teams available for bowls to choose from. With the dreck available today for the lowest bowls to choose from, maybe the 4 weakest bowls are discontinued?

Used to be a Bowl junkie, mainly b/c I'm an amateur NFL draft junkie.

But with so many of those going pro opting out of their bowl games, I just don't have the interest I once had.

Fans can’t control the game. All you can do is have fun around it. If you’re that upset than don’t go again.

Do I consider eating with and seeing friends before and after the BOWL game having a good time?

Yes. Yes, I do.

But what if we get beat in the NC game?! Then it’d be a huge waste of time and money. Best not to go to anything ever.

given the new system these 4 would have played this week at home

No. 12 Liberty at No. 5 Florida State

No. 11 Mississippi at No. 6 Georgia

No. 10 Penn State at No. 7 Ohio State

No. 9 Missouri at No. 8 Oregon

these 4 would have played a bowl game somewhere next week

Oregon-Missouri winner vs. No. 1 Michigan

Ohio State-Penn State winner vs. No. 2 Washington

Georgia-Mississippi winner vs. No. 3 Texas

Florida State-Liberty winner vs. No. 4 Alabama

using the fiesta, peach , rose, sugar.

where they play would be interesting to see though. Do the teams get to choose location based on seed

by location for best attendance like hockey does?
Ala sugar makes sense
Tex Fiesta
Mich Rose
Wash Peach?

or by seed
Mich Rose
Wash Fiesta
Tex Sugar
Ala Peach?

I mean as usual the northern teams wont get much home field help in any of this unless they let some domes bid for this like a super bowl?

But what if we get beat in the NC game?! Then it’d be a huge waste of time and money. Best not to go to anything ever.
1703428487008.gif

Yes. Yes, I do.

i can fly to any florida beach and tan. if i pay extra for tickets to watch my team get destroyed ... WOW.
but obviously you enjoyed the carnage. myself i would have walked out at the half for some stone crabs.
Gotta know When to say When.

The future of bowl games won't be decided upon whether fans found other ways to have a good time or our disgust with how our team performed in this game. It will be based on TV ratings. The question is: what impact will the playoff, the portal and players announcing for the draft and thus sitting out games added to the traditional problem of too many teams that were mediocre to begin with have?

Maybe they will continue to be the unkillable tardigrade of sports.

1703430118767.png

I guess I don't get how the playoff makes the bowls less meaningful. If everything just boils down to who has a chance to win a national championship, the objective of the playoff, then only or 2-3 bowls were ever meaningful in a given year, and that was pre-BCS.

I think they're less meaningful now than ever, but that's because of opt outs and the portal, not the playoff. The meaning used to be one last competition against a fun opponent. Now that rosters are so depleted, that's not usually what happens.

There is a ripple. What is the draw of the NY6 if the games feature teams all outside the Top 10? The Rose Bowl loses meaning if it isn't B1G #1 vs PAC #1, or at least #2s. Now the B1G will send #5 there? The Orange Bowl will feel a lot less important if it is ACC #3 when it used to be ACC #1. So all of the top Bowls which used to be bigger games are now mid tier games. The mid tier games are now joining the lower tier with the other way too many games.

And if the Bowl are tied in as the playoff games, they aren't really Bowls are they? I hate that for the current 4 team playoff the pretend they are Bowls. It isn't. It is a neutral site playoff game.

There is a ripple. What is the draw of the NY6 if the games feature teams all outside the Top 10? The Rose Bowl loses meaning if it isn't B1G #1 vs PAC #1, or at least #2s. Now the B1G will send #5 there? The Orange Bowl will feel a lot less important if it is ACC #3 when it used to be ACC #1. So all of the top Bowls which used to be bigger games are now mid tier games. The mid tier games are now joining the lower tier with the other way too many games.

And if the Bowl are tied in as the playoff games, they aren't really Bowls are they? I hate that for the current 4 team playoff the pretend they are Bowls. It isn't. It is a neutral site playoff game.
those games are all part of the playoff package from now.

It will be interesting to see what happens, will the lower level bowls go away, probably not especially with ESPN owning so many of them and looking for football to fill their holiday time slots when so many folks are off of work.
^^This^^ And add to it the cities with hotel rooms and restaurant seats to fill during the off season. Why else would you go to Shreveport during December?