Bye, bye bowl games | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Bye, bye bowl games

Blocking transfers in conference fixes a ton of things. No one likes a move like Etienne from the Gators to Dawgs.

I think it’s gross that we have to play Joe Girard twice and possibly 3 times. There are 350+ other D1 teams I don’t want to see guys who start for us on the other sideline the next season.

I’m not sure there’s a legal reasoning for blocking a player going to any team they want. I get what you’re saying but the issue overall isn’t where they go to, it’s that you’ll almost never see one of the best players on a team, come from HS and stay. That destroys part of what CFB is about. Watching a player commit to your team, then grow as a player over ~4 years and potentially get drafted. Now, some fans may be able to deal with that if through the portal, they’re getting high quality players. I’m excited for next year because of this.

But in every sport the goal is doing well enough to accomplish something at the end of the season. Bowl games are a shell of their former selves and have deteriorated quickly just in the last couple years. If getting to a high level bowl, just to watch backups play is the goal. It’s going to be tough keeping the average CFB fan engaged.

We’re actually moving further from the NFL model. The NFL would never allow what’s happening in CFB but they also have the ability to prevent it compared to CFB. The NFL does everything possible to make sure players stay on the teams they were drafted to, as long as possible. They understand that players moving from team to team, even every few years is a death sentence for building fan support. Which all equals $$$ in merchandising, sponsorships, advertising, etc.

CFB is doing the exact opposite. Players can leave to a new team after a year. In time, as a fan, I don’t see my favorite players play for multiple years. If I do, I’m lucky but I also don’t know if they will or not so the moderate fans have less reason to follow their favorite CFB teams compared to their NFL team.

Can you imagine if in the NFL, the playoffs started and 10 players chose not to play because they’re in a final contract year the following year and don’t want to risk injury. People would stop watching the NFL playoffs if half the games were played by QB’s who’d never taken a snap, a bunch of starters people want to see play are sitting out and it’s basically a pro bowl game.

CFB isn’t turning into anything like the NFL other than the concept of players getting paid. In almost every other way it’s the opposite of the NFL and I just don’t see how viewership and interest, long term, grows. The diehards will always watch. The on the fence fans and below will stop watching almost entirely when they tune in to bowl games and even the 12 playoff games are the equivalent of the 3rd game of the NFL exhibition games.
Yep college needs a collectively bargained system with players getting paid directly by the schools, no NIL crap, and no transferring 100 times.

Yep college needs a collectively bargained system with players getting paid directly by the schools, no NIL crap, and no transferring 100 times.
You can't stop NIL any more than you can stop an NBA player from signing with Nike. A collective bargaining agreememt with direct pay to players could limit transfers though. That would be a huge step.

You can't stop NIL any more than you can stop an NBA player from signing with Nike. A collective bargaining agreememt with direct pay to players could limit transfers though. That would be a huge step.
True I should have said no bogus payments disguised as NIL.

With the playoffs coming and the tendency of players to skip bowls, the bowl system is a waste of time. There's so much money involved for the players that it needs to go the way of all-star games. For instance, why would a LQA risk getting hurt when his whole team is basically in the portal.
Think you’re right. Money changing hands to the players changes everything, and this will be the casualty. It was headed that way anyway, but NIL will only exacerbate the issue.

I wonder if moving the non-playoff games up to immediately follow the regular season, while moving back the portal period a couple of weeks would help keep more players and coaches for the Bowl games.

We’re actually moving further from the NFL model. The NFL would never allow what’s happening in CFB but they also have the ability to prevent it compared to CFB. The NFL does everything possible to make sure players stay on the teams they were drafted to, as long as possible. They understand that players moving from team to team, even every few years is a death sentence for building fan support. Which all equals $$$ in merchandising, sponsorships, advertising, etc.

CFB is doing the exact opposite. Players can leave to a new team after a year. In time, as a fan, I don’t see my favorite players play for multiple years. If I do, I’m lucky but I also don’t know if they will or not so the moderate fans have less reason to follow their favorite CFB teams compared to their NFL team.

Can you imagine if in the NFL, the playoffs started and 10 players chose not to play because they’re in a final contract year the following year and don’t want to risk injury. People would stop watching the NFL playoffs if half the games were played by QB’s who’d never taken a snap, a bunch of starters people want to see play are sitting out and it’s basically a pro bowl game.

CFB isn’t turning into anything like the NFL other than the concept of players getting paid. In almost every other way it’s the opposite of the NFL and I just don’t see how viewership and interest, long term, grows. The diehards will always watch. The on the fence fans and below will stop watching almost entirely when they tune in to bowl games and even the 12 playoff games are the equivalent of the 3rd game of the NFL exhibition games.
Two super conferences and a playoff model is absolutely more NFL -like then anything we’ve seen yet.

People who take the time to post about college football on message boards but don’t love bowl games and watching CFB daily to end the year are odd and make no sense.

Holiday Bowl and Texas Bowl both off to good starts. Having to old school flick between the two since I only got 1 TV at my ski condo.

People who take the time to post about college football on message boards but don’t love bowl games and watching CFB daily to end the year are odd and make no sense.

Holiday Bowl and Texas Bowl both off to good starts. Having to old school flick between the two since I only got 1 TV at my ski condo.

I enjoy college football Saturdays all year. I watch games from Noon to Midnight, switching back and forth between them. But I don't watch games between mediocre teams unless Syracuse is one of them.

Exactly

I enjoy college football Saturdays all year. I watch games from Noon to Midnight, switching back and forth between them. But I don't watch games between mediocre teams unless Syracuse is one of them.
Plenty of other things to do but as far as sports well I’m not sure what better sports content is on? NBA and NHL regular seasons stink and all the games catch up with teams around now. NCAA hoops has their finals/holiday break when the bulk of the lesser bowl games are and they don’t play these games head to head with NFL.

Plenty of other things to do but as far as sports well I’m not sure what better sports content is on? NBA and NHL regular seasons stink and all the games catch up with teams around now. NCAA hoops has their finals/holiday break when the bulk of the lesser bowl games are and they don’t play these games head to head with NFL.

College football is falling into the same trap as college basketball. One and done destroyed the game. Most people don't give a damn about college basketball now until March.

College football is falling into the same trap as college basketball. One and done destroyed the game. Most people don't give a damn about college basketball now until March.

? The NCAA tournament has been here since 1939.

? The NCAA tournament has been here since 1939.

I guess I was trying to point out that College basketball has faded because you don’t watch the players come in and grow over the years. Every two years the team completely changes. In my opinion that is why the College basketball regular season is a big nothing burger now to most. College football is catching up quick with the roster turnover.

It never happened with the 4 team playoff but in the future would anyone be surprised if some superstar whose team is a low seed in the new CFP decides to opt out.

Actually I read all of that and I say, why would he risk anything to play one meaningless game? Anything the NFL needs to know about his ability, is on “tape”. One game in a bowl isn’t going to show them anything they don’t know, either way. Anything else they want to now they’ll find out at the combine.
From the covid season I remember some NFL teams to break an evaluation tie would downgrade a kid who opted out. Not all teams did that but I wouldn't be surprised in this environment that some organizations would use a fringe guy's opting out of the bowl game as a negative.

From the covid season I remember some NFL teams to break an evaluation tie would downgrade a kid who opted out. Not all teams did that but I wouldn't be surprised in this environment that some organizations would use a fringe guy's opting out of the bowl game as a negative.

I think years ago when it was more rare. I follow the NFL draft and all that goes into that, pretty closely each year. In the last few years I’ve never heard of a guy getting knocked down in evaluation because they missed a bowl. I’ve never even heard it brought up as a negative in shows or anything else I read leading up to combine and draft, in recent years.

I would be shocked if a team did this in today’s environment.

I guess I was trying to point out that College basketball has faded because you don’t watch the players come in and grow over the years. Every two years the team completely changes. In my opinion that is why the College basketball regular season is a big nothing burger now to most. College football is catching up quick with the roster turnover.

My bad. You meant the players being one and done in college, not teams be one and done in the tournament.

BB942E6D-B721-44EE-97F8-03B4DA6174FA.jpeg