Bye Bye Robbie | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bye Bye Robbie

As a Red Sox fan, I'm just glad we don't have to face him 19-20 times/season anymore.

Joel Sherman‏@Joelsherman12h
Kuroda 1-yr, $16M deal with #Yankees was finalized last nite with same bonus package as '13: $250G for 190/210IP plus intepreter.

I just can't believe the Mariners went 10. The front office people probably figure they won't be around in 10 year as it is. Why on earth would an owner sign off on a deal like this?

Joel Sherman‏@Joelsherman12h
Kuroda 1-yr, $16M deal with #Yankees was finalized last nite with same bonus package as '13: $250G for 190/210IP plus intepreter.

Sweet. They really needed to bring him back even though he had a terrible last month and a half last season

Andy McCullough‏@McCulloughSL6m
Players the Yankees are now in on: Everyone. Choo. Beltran. Infante. Tanaka. Drew.

Cano's a greedy pig, and Cashman is an idiot. The JAcoby deal was pitiful. Vintage Yankees.

I hope Cano gives some back to the community...no one needs that much money.

The Yankees
Cano's a greedy pig, and Cashman is an idiot. The JAcoby deal was pitiful. Vintage Yankees.

The Yankees have thrived because of such "greedy pigs", as far back as Reggie Jackson all the way to Jacoby Ellsbury.

Let us know how much money you think someone needs. Have you turned down a substantial raise, saying no, I don't need that much?

Ha! Check is in the mail. Wallet city baby

The Ellsbury deal was fine as long as he stays healthy

The Yankees

The Yankees have thrived because of such "greedy pigs", as far back as Reggie Jackson all the way to Jacoby Ellsbury.

Let us know how much money you think someone needs. Have you turned down a substantial raise, saying no, I don't need that much?

Exactly, just as the people that couldnt believe Arod took the deal from Texas many years ago. Its offered, are you going to say no thanks, thats way too much. Sure there are players that give hometown discounts and such, but come on.

The Yankees

Are you serious? A contract of that size is just greedy. Then again professional sports stars families have starved in the past.

f18ad00b-2826-4146-b49f-a27fe1f1fa73.jpg

Ellsbury is one fragile dude.

Are you serious? A contract of that size is just greedy. Then again professional sports stars families have starved in the past.

f18ad00b-2826-4146-b49f-a27fe1f1fa73.jpg

This is a ridiculous argument.
The players are offered a certain amount of money but they should decline and suggest a lower amount?

This is the market for Robinson Cano and the value that has been set by the Mariners.

Just because it's so much more money than any of us are ever going to see that doesn't mean that Cano is greedy.

Ellsbury is one fragile dude.
Did you see the two times he got hurt? Anyone would get hurt running in to Beltre. And he got crushed by Ben Zobrist. That is the two injuries.

This is a ridiculous argument.
The players are offered a certain amount of money but they should decline and suggest a lower amount?

This is the market for Robinson Cano and the value that has been set by the Mariners.

Just because it's so much more money than any of us are ever going to see that doesn't mean that Cano is greedy.

Reminds me of this mans past contract with the Blue Jays.

vernon-wells-trade-yankees.jpg

If Ellsbury stays healthy, which he hasn't been able to do, I think he'll be a better fit for the Yankees. He's a triples/double/SB machine and has proven he's capable of hitting 25-30 or so homers in a year. He's also been a golden glove winner. This all provided that the Yankees pick up another power hitter or someone like Beltre.

Its not a good deal. Ellsburys game is significantly tied to speed; that part of his game is going to decline well before his contract expires.

Its not a good deal. Ellsburys game is significantly tied to speed; that part of his game is going to decline well before his contract expires.

These years for these contracts mean nothing in baseball. They are doing this to win in the next year or two and then worry about the back end later.

These years for these contracts mean nothing in baseball. They are doing this to win in the next year or two and then worry about the back end later.

Granderson getting 4 years makes me feel better about Ellsbury for 7. Ellsbury will be 36 years old when he plays that last year, if the Yanks haven't dealt him by then and ate most of the $. It could be a lot worse, but I do wish he had a better history of health. Grandy has become a faster running version of those old school 1980s sluggers like Rob Deer and Jack Clark. Mashes HRs. Strikes out 200 times and hits .230. I don't think you win with those guys. Yankees should look to their own example. No one on the 1998 Yankees (greatest team ever) even hit 30 HRs. On base guys, contact guys, doubles hitters, clutch hitters.

I'm so glad the Yankees didn't lock in 10 years on Cano. He's a great player, but that's just too long for a 31 year old. After the ARod deal, then the Pujols deal, I thought teams would know enough to stay away from that. But I was wrong.

I'm at the point where I hate anything over 5 years.

The yanks can certainly afford to waste money, which is what they'll be doing on this deal in a few years. As you allude to, there will be something to worry about down the road.

If Ellsbury stays healthy, which he hasn't been able to do, I think he'll be a better fit for the Yankees. He's a triples/double/SB machine and has proven he's capable of hitting 25-30 or so homers in a year. He's also been a golden glove winner. This all provided that the Yankees pick up another power hitter or someone like Beltre.
I would be hesitant to count on him for 20+ HRs considering his second best total for a season is 9, though that RF wall may give him some help.

Where do you think Beltre is in play? No where. Not on mlb trade rumors. Why would the Rangers trade Beltre? And what do the yanks have to get him? It's Beltran the yanks have interest in.

Granderson getting 4 years makes me feel better about Ellsbury for 7. Ellsbury will be 36 years old when he plays that last year, if the Yanks haven't dealt him by then and ate most of the $. It could be a lot worse, but I do wish he had a better history of health. Grandy has become a faster running version of those old school 1980s sluggers like Rob Deer and Jack Clark. Mashes HRs. Strikes out 200 times and hits .230. I don't think you win with those guys. Yankees should look to their own example. No one on the 1998 Yankees (greatest team ever) even hit 30 HRs. On base guys, contact guys, doubles hitters, clutch hitters.

I'm so glad the Yankees didn't lock in 10 years on Cano. He's a great player, but that's just too long for a 31 year old. After the ARod deal, then the Pujols deal, I thought teams would know enough to stay away from that. But I was wrong.

I'm at the point where I hate anything over 5 years.
Not that I think it would ever happen in MLB, but I like how the NBA restricts contract lengths now. Not only does it make sense for constructing a team, but it will eventually lead to more interesting offseasons with greater player turnover.

Wish you well but you are going to the worst hitters ballpark in the MLB
I think Robbie will miss the whole NY ambiance and general feel of the "Big Apple"Seattle doesn't come close to that.Cashman knew that losing Cano was a probability and has taken steps offset the inevitable and now he can take more with the freed up $. I'm guessing by the end of next week we get another major signing by the Yankees if it takes that long. I'm not talking about the Kelly Johnson deal which is pretty insignificant in the long run. Kevin Long has a number of projects to work on this coming season Johnson ,Ryan Anna, Nunez Pitching might be the next big pick . It might even involve a trade. I don't see the need for Wells on the bench. Bring up a kid and give him some experience without the pressure.

I would still take Ellsbury in his 36th year (the age he will be during his last year of the Yankee contract), than Cano in the last 5 years of his Mariner contract (between the ages of 37 and 41)

Future Hot Stove League discussion topic - Who's the better player that no one ever saw - the post-2013 Cano or Trevor Hoffman?

Where do you think Beltre is in play? No where. Not on mlb trade rumors. Why would the Rangers trade Beltre? And what do the yanks have to get him? It's Beltran the yanks have interest in.
Typo my bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom