Bye Bye Robbie | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bye Bye Robbie

Future Hot Stove League discussion topic - Who's the better player that no one ever saw - the post-2013 Cano or Trevor Hoffman?
You just blew my mind. Trevor Hoffman. Hoffman's Coney's (often pronounced Cooney, locally). Trevor Cooney.

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is how the new acquisitions change the Yankees offensively. Adding a plus bat at catcher and exceptional speed on the bases isn't a bad thing can make them better, even losing Cano.

One upsisde of the Cano deal for everyone else in baseball - one of the elite talents in the game is marooned in a place that won't win.

Seattle might be able to be pretty decent. They still have some money to spend, there is talk of going after David Price, they already have one of the best pitchers in the game.

I'm not putting them in the playoffs or anything, but they could be a decent team in a year or two.

I hope Cano gives some back to the community...no one needs that much money.

LOL, if he didn't take it then the ownership would keep it. How is that any different? The money has already been made, it's a question of dividing up who gets it.

Not that I think it would ever happen in MLB, but I like how the NBA restricts contract lengths now. Not only does it make sense for constructing a team, but it will eventually lead to more interesting offseasons with greater player turnover.

Hahaha yeah, it's basically their way of saying we can't control ourselves.

Last edited:
Seattle might be able to be pretty decent. They still have some money to spend, there is talk of going after David Price, they already have one of the best pitchers in the game.

I'm not putting them in the playoffs or anything, but they could be a decent team in a year or two.

LOL, if he didn't take it then the ownership would keep it. How is that any different? The money has already been made, it's a question of dividing up who gets it.
He will have about the amount of talent he had surrounding him on the Yankees in 2013. We saw how that worked out. My feeling is he is not someone who makes those around him better. He's more a cog in the wheel type of guy.

I would still take Ellsbury in his 36th year (the age he will be during his last year of the Yankee contract), than Cano in the last 5 years of his Mariner contract (between the ages of 37 and 41)
Ultimately I think they're both bad deals, and Seattle will feel the weight of the Cano deal more than the Yanks will feel Ellsbury's for sure. As far as pure talent/ability goes, I'll take Cano over Ellsbury now and in 5 years. 40 yr old Cano vs 36 year old Ellsbury is an interesting debate, its just guessing ability wise, however Cano will still be a big financial drain on someone at that time most likely.

Ellsbury is one fragile dude.
Fragilee? Sounds like a "major award"!
Not that I think it would ever happen in MLB, but I like how the NBA restricts contract lengths now. Not only does it make sense for constructing a team, but it will eventually lead to more interesting offseasons with greater player turnover.
I'm far more concern with how MLB cleans up the PED issue with these freaks of nature pretenders. I want more than asterisks besides the names of Bonds and McGuire. Kids must know who the real record seters are. Aaron and Maris and the pitchers in that time.

Last edited:
Wish you well but you are going to the worst hitters ballpark in the MLB

Yanks fans should breathe a huge sigh of relief. Awful contract. Great player, but replaceable since they have sooooooo many other areas to upgrade. A super expensive 2B or spread that money around on a solid replacement (Mark Ellis?), a starter and good BP arm? I'll take option B, thanks. And if you're going to spend, do it on Tanaka when the posting fee doesn't count vs. the luxury tax.

Yeah, I think a lot of this hinges on them getting Tanaka, and Tanaka being good.

As others have said, comparing Ellsbury to Cano is the wrong exercise. Obviously Cano is a better hitter.

Comparing the Yankee team in 2014 to the Yankee team in 2013 is the better exercise. If they get someone like Infante, and Choo, then top to bottom it's a much better Yankee lineup. They also free up money to sign someone like Garza, who's a solid 2/3 starter. Still need bullpen help though, and possibly a 3B.

I wouldn't pencil them in for the World Series in 2014, but giving 10 years to Cano would not have been the smartest move. And they knew it.

I agree that comparing ells to cano is pointless but even if you want to make that comparison, the yanks locked in a similarly aged player who can absolutely provide a significant impact for 3 years and ~$100M less, which they can spread around to fill roster gaps. No-brainer, IMO. I also know Cano is a great player but he never scared me as a sox fan in those matchups. Just anecdotally I think Ells at the top of that lineup could be every bit as disruptive.

I agree that comparing ells to cano is pointless but even if you want to make that comparison, the yanks locked in a similarly aged player who can absolutely provide a significant impact for 3 years and ~$100M less, which they can spread around to fill roster gaps. No-brainer, IMO. I also know Cano is a great player but he never scared me as a sox fan in those matchups. Just anecdotally I think Ells at the top of that lineup could be every bit as disruptive.

I don't want to pee on the grave, or sound like sour grapes. But as a Yankee fan, you have to figure out how you want to justify this, right? So one thought I had on Cano, he never struck me as the type that was going to take the team on his back. He had the perfect opportunity to do so when they needed it most in the 2012 playoffs. He came in hitting something like .900 in September. And then was equally as bad as the rest of the lineup in the playoffs.

When he's hot, he's deadly. When he's not, he almost appears sleepy. Another slow grounder to 2nd base, and he looks like an 80 year old man getting out of the box.

I'd much rather have him than not. I'm probably a little more depressed about it than most Yankee fans. But I thought 7 years would be a lot, 10 just seems nuts. No one is learning from the ARod and Pujols fiascos.

What is it with guys getting at least 2 more years than the next highest bidder? Cano gets 10, next team offers 7. Granderson gets 4, was anyone offering more than 2? Ellsbury gets 7, was anyone offering more than 5?

These agents should take a higher cut, they're pulling off magic acts at the negotiation table.

Once Cashman gets to the office he will start sending out contact requests to the other infield FAs out there still unsigned. We aren't going to cry over Robby all that long.nRobby will no doubt hit a HR or two against us but I have a feeling every strike out on video will be reviewed for the pitching staf to examine before facing him . Get 2 strikes and the low and way away. High and up is also effective . If you try inside it had better get there inside or it becomes a souvenir.

Objectively as a Red Sox fan I can't believe they let Cano go. That contract is ridiculously stupid and Cashman rightfully didn't give Cano 10 yr 240, but giving Ellsbury 7 yr 152 was basically daring him to go. I respect Cashman for not caving to Jay-Z, but they are weaker with Ellsbury over Cano. Ellsbury is a top 20 hitter in MLB and Cano is a top 5 hitter.
The Yanks already knew they weren't going to sign Cano from conversations with his agents over a period of weeks BEFORE they made the offer to Ellsbury. Yes they over paid but he is part of the plan B to remake the team without Cano. Hate to lose Cano but the 10 for $240 contract is loser and would have wrecked the Yanks long term. Glad to see they learned something from past mistakes. The deal is insane for the M's and will hurt them badly in the longer term. Cano's production will decline markedly after the next 3 years and the M's have too much money relative to total payroll locked up in one player.

The Yankees

The Yankees have thrived because of such "greedy pigs", as far back as Reggie Jackson all the way to Jacoby Ellsbury.

Let us know how much money you think someone needs. Have you turned down a substantial raise, saying no, I don't need that much?
Reggie was worth every penny he was paid. I remember watching him from a hospital bed after undergoing surgery hit three home runs in the World Series. I don't see anything like that type of production from Ellsbury. Being a Yankee fan since the late 50's I hope I am wrong.

I don't want to pee on the grave, or sound like sour grapes. But as a Yankee fan, you have to figure out how you want to justify this, right? So one thought I had on Cano, he never struck me as the type that was going to take the team on his back. He had the perfect opportunity to do so when they needed it most in the 2012 playoffs. He came in hitting something like .900 in September. And then was equally as bad as the rest of the lineup in the playoffs.

When he's hot, he's deadly. When he's not, he almost appears sleepy. Another slow grounder to 2nd base, and he looks like an 80 year old man getting out of the box.

I'd much rather have him than not. I'm probably a little more depressed about it than most Yankee fans. But I thought 7 years would be a lot, 10 just seems nuts. No one is learning from the ARod and Pujols fiascos.

What is it with guys getting at least 2 more years than the next highest bidder? Cano gets 10, next team offers 7. Granderson gets 4, was anyone offering more than 2? Ellsbury gets 7, was anyone offering more than 5?

These agents should take a higher cut, they're pulling off magic acts at the negotiation table.
I love watching Cano swing a baseball bat, and his arm and effortless nature at second base are fun to watch as a baseball fan. He reminds me of the infield version of Griffey or Andruw Jones in terms of how easy defense looks for him. That said, Pedroia getting 8/110 looks like the biggest steal ever right now, especially following a season where he played with a torn ligament in his thumb, didn't miss much time at all, and won a Gold Glove and World Series.

The three greatest New York Yankee 2nd basemen of my lifetime, Bobby Richardson, Willie Randolph and Robinson Cano.

I think Cano is the greatest fielding second baseman I have ever seen. Combine his hitting and hitting for power I would have to rank him better than the other two.

I will miss watching his magic in the middle but I can't blame him for taking the best offer. I can't blame the Yankees for not resigning him. They did what was for the best of the team in the long run.

Goodluck Cano, I hate to see you go but that's baseball in the 2000's.

I was reading Tanaka may not even be posted this year; MLB is working on modifyng the posting system. Either way, I think the new system will b a $20 million max posting fee and the player can negotiate with all the teams that bid the $20 million. So the Yankees would lose a lot of their leverage on bypassing the luxury tax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom