BYU offered by Big 12 | Syracusefan.com

BYU offered by Big 12

arbitragegls

All Conference
...as indicated below, BYU has an offer from the Big 12...does this finalize offer...does the Big 12 continue...seems as if Louisville and West Virginia would be next to get to 12. What do you think?

September 27, 2011

Brigham Young has Big 12 offer

Multiple sources have confirmed to The Upset that BYU has an official invite from the Big 12 Conference in hand and is currently pouring over all details to make sure its negotiating points are satisfactorily met.

Key in the finalization of such a move is how BYUtv fits in to the Big 12, as well as how much of its current 8-year deal with ESPN BYU can keep. (It would make sense for both parties to keep it intact if contractually possible, as it would add both more money and exposure for all in the conference.) BYU officials are reviewing these details to ensure its wants can be met, which may end up in a renegotiation with Big 12 television partners ESPN and Fox if possible and/or prudent. While acceptance of this offer is not guaranteed, our sources indicate BYU definitely wants in if things can line up to BYU's liking.

Some editorial points:

An acceptance of the offer is not 100% guaranteed. As Dick Harmon of the Deseret News reported late last night, if BYU cannot obtain rebroadcast rights for football games or is not guaranteed the ability to use BYUtv to televise other sports, they will likely decline, or at least continue negotiating. But our sources indicate that BYU wants in and is efforting to make it work, whatever details may or may not be left to hammer out. Without saying as much, Harmon's story also implicitly leads that BYU has an offer: "If you hear reports out of Texas or Oklahoma that BYU is not interested in the Big 12, it is only an interpretation of BYU negotiating its talking points."

It is assumed all this is contingent upon the six-year media grant coming to fruition and being signed by the current nine members of the Big 12. Some schools have to go through a board of regents or similar body before officially agreeing to the media grant that would bind the conference together, so it seems that as of now, that agreement is still not official.

While concern over relationships with the schools in the West Coast Conference has been real, as we reported a month ago, such worries could be dissipating. ESPN's Andy Katz reported four days ago after a sitdown with WCC Commissioner Jamie Zaninovich, "If the Cougars did want to leave, they wouldn’t get held up by the WCC. The league fully understands that BYU may want to join a major football conference..."

BYU will join. They are not a powerhouse progam by tradition, which is to say that independence does not suit them.

They are negotiating from a position of strength.

BYU will join. They are not a powerhouse progam by tradition, which is to say that independence does not suit them.

They are negotiating from a position of strength.

Who else do they add? I could see Louisville, TCU, Rice, and Houston.

Louisville is almost a certainty. Excellent BBall with a Football program to build on. Excellent facilities. Regionally acceptable.

Then it depends if they want to go to 12 teams and if Missouri leaves for the SEC.

Texas does not want a championship game and has been pretty vocal about remaining at 10. Not that they have completely closed the door to 12 members, but I could see them standing pat for a year or two if BYU says "yes." If you hear that a box of roses is on its way from Providence to Dallas you can bet the house that the Big 12 is standing down for now.

Louisville is almost a certainty. Excellent BBall with a Football program to build on. Excellent facilities. Regionally acceptable.

Then it depends if they want to go to 12 teams and if Missouri leaves for the SEC.

If you believe the tweet about WVU to the SEC, Missouri stays, BYU gets them back to 10, and 2 more gets them to 12.

If the Big East loses Louisville and West Virginia, how can it survive? UConn, Cincinnati, Rutgers, South Florida, TCU? Would they just merge with some amalgamation of ConferenceUSA?

UConn
Rutgers
Cincinnati
South Florida
Central Florida
Temple
East Carolina
UMass
TCU
Houston
Memphis
Marshall? Tulane? Southern Miss? SMU? Rice?

I'd be surprised if the Big 12 actually goes back to 12 teams. At this point I think they stand pat until/unless Missouri leaves, in which case I'd guess that Louisville, WV, Cinci, and whoever else would be back on the table.

I agree with you on the 10 teams. I'd put money on Missouri leaving for the SEC. Their spot would be taken by Louisville.

As a side note, how desperate does UConn look right now? Their president has been working from her knees for the past few weeks trying to get them into another conference. Three NCAA BBall championships and they are hardly getting a look.

As a side note, how desperate does UConn look right now? Their president has been working from her knees for the past few weeks trying to get them into another conference. Three NCAA BBall championships and they are hardly getting a look.

I have to doubt UConn is desperate, they are in a scary situation with no stable conference and both a basketball and football coach that are not ideal for the long term. If their conference situation stops them from getting ideal coaching replacements everything could go downhill very fast.

So, as much as I understand UConn being desperate, I have not heard about what their president has been doing. Any details on that?

...as indicated below, BYU has an offer from the Big 12...does this finalize offer...does the Big 12 continue...seems as if Louisville and West Virginia would be next to get to 12. What do you think?

September 27, 2011

byu+big12+logo.jpg
Multiple sources have confirmed to The Upset that BYU has an official invite from the Big 12 Conference in hand and is currently pouring over all details to make sure its negotiating points are satisfactorily met.

Key in the finalization of such a move is how BYUtv fits in to the Big 12, as well as how much of its current 8-year deal with ESPN BYU can keep. (It would make sense for both parties to keep it intact if contractually possible, as it would add both more money and exposure for all in the conference.) BYU officials are reviewing these details to ensure its wants can be met, which may end up in a renegotiation with Big 12 television partners ESPN and Fox if possible and/or prudent. While acceptance of this offer is not guaranteed, our sources indicate BYU definitely wants in if things can line up to BYU's liking.

Some editorial points:

An acceptance of the offer is not 100% guaranteed. As Dick Harmon of the Deseret News reported late last night, if BYU cannot obtain rebroadcast rights for football games or is not guaranteed the ability to use BYUtv to televise other sports, they will likely decline, or at least continue negotiating. But our sources indicate that BYU wants in and is efforting to make it work, whatever details may or may not be left to hammer out. Without saying as much, Harmon's story also implicitly leads that BYU has an offer: "If you hear reports out of Texas or Oklahoma that BYU is not interested in the Big 12, it is only an interpretation of BYU negotiating its talking points."

It is assumed all this is contingent upon the six-year media grant coming to fruition and being signed by the current nine members of the Big 12. Some schools have to go through a board of regents or similar body before officially agreeing to the media grant that would bind the conference together, so it seems that as of now, that agreement is still not official.

While concern over relationships with the schools in the West Coast Conference has been real, as we reported a month ago, such worries could be dissipating. ESPN's Andy Katz reported four days ago after a sitdown with WCC Commissioner Jamie Zaninovich, "If the Cougars did want to leave, they wouldn’t get held up by the WCC. The league fully understands that BYU may want to join a major football conference..."

Can't wait to hear Texas complaining about BYUtv. Oh the irony.

Mizzou will skeedadle as quickly as they can but I don't think the SEC will add them for at least a year. If they go, the Ville would be a good replacement. TCU does not want to be in a conference with UT and Oklahoma. They want the much easier path to the BCS that the BE provides assuming it doesn't implode.

Can't wait to hear Texas complaining about BYUtv. Oh the irony.

Mizzou will skeedadle as quickly as they can but I don't think the SEC will add them for at least a year. If they go, the Ville would be a good replacement. TCU does not want to be in a conference with UT and Oklahoma. They want the much easier path to the BCS that the BE provides assuming it doesn't implode.

...also much has been reported that UT does not want any other Texas teams in the league...how prideful

A certainty?

How do you know that?

Last I heard the Big 12 was leaning toward a 10 team conference.

And for our sake, I hope that is what happens.

A certainty?

How do you know that?

Last I heard the Big 12 was leaning toward a 10 team conference.

And for our sake, I hope that is what happens.

Someone ask PurpleBookCat or Frank The Tank. Their prognostications sure held up well.

I know a guy who knows a guy who heard from a guy who had it posted as his facebook status...

It's guaranteed!

September 27, 2011

byu+big12+logo.jpg

Some editorial points:

Checked ESPN.

Nothing about BYU being offered by the Big 12 at this point.

Lets hope it happens.

I think the Big 12 is fine with 10, or even 9. Conference championship games are overrated.

Checked ESPN.

Nothing about BYU being offered by the Big 12 at this point.

Lets hope it happens.

Just out of curiosity, why do you hope BYU goes to the Big 12? I dont see how that helps Syracuse in any way.

Just out of curiosity, why do you hope BYU goes to the Big 12? I dont see how that helps Syracuse in any way.
If BYU goes to the Big XII-II and Mizzou stays then the NNBE goes on by adding one or two schools. Yukon and Rutgirls stay put in the BE which should yield recruiting benefits to HCDM. Or so the theory goes.

The next domino is SEC #14. If that comes from the ACC then I'd expect to see Yukon (or Rutgers... they claim to play lax) replace them. If that comes from the BE (WVU) then that's a good thing. If that is Mizzou (as most believe it will be) then the BE will likely take another hit (UL or WVU).

If BYU goes to the Big XII-II and Mizzou stays then the NNBE goes on by adding one or two schools. Yukon and Rutgirls stay put in the BE which should yield recruiting benefits to HCDM. Or so the theory goes.

Fair enough. I can see that point, and I am also in the camp that does not want either UConn or Rutgers in the ACC. But I dont think that destroying the Big East (further) is going to get either of those schools into a major conference any quicker. The ACC (and the other major conferences) are going to expand at their own pace, especially now that the end game is nearing and there are only two prize fish left and dwindling spots left to offer them.

The Big XII is Texas and Oklahoma period. They will get whatever they want. The others (except for Missou) are pure "left behinds" who have now seen what the cold cruel world looks like without UT and OU. They have been sufficiently scared to death and will now agree to whatever those two want in order to hold the conference together. They are supposedly cool to any more Texas teams because from a media perspective they don't open new territory or TV sets since UT already delivers the entire state. If they expand to 12, I could see L'Ville and WVU being at the top of their list after BYU. I've also seen Boise St. talked about but the obstacle is their small market size.

I know a guy who knows a guy who heard from a guy who had it posted as his facebook status...

It's guaranteed!

Really? Please. I happen to know from very reliable sources that Ferris did NOT pass out at 31 Flavors last night.