BYU to the Big East? | Syracusefan.com

BYU to the Big East?

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
First I've heard BYU being in the Big East discussion...

http://forums.At their request, thi...rom this site./mb.aspx?s=336&f=4389&t=8162011

Looks like Marinatto is pulling out all the stops.

The debate continues...do we want the Big East to (barely) survive by adding these western teams so that UConn and Buttgers would have to be in a busted conference, having to sell recruits on annual trips to Idaho, Utah, Colorado and Texas? Or do we want it destroyed completely?

I just don't get how these western teams can possibly see how inclusion in the shaky BE is a good move. All for a very tenuous grasp on a BCS shot? Air Force, Boise State, BYU? They'd be traveling every other week to the East coast. They recruit the west almost exclusively. No way can this be a good scenario for them...

BYU to BE would be a hoot...Big 12 actually wanted BYU but because of no play on sundays and because of independence they were not biting the Big 12 offer...wonder if true what coolaide M shoved up their ass

I just don't get how these western teams can possibly see how inclusion in the shaky BE is a good move. All for a very tenuous grasp on a BCS shot? Air Force, Boise State, BYU? They'd be traveling every other week to the East coast. They recruit the west almost exclusively. No way can this be a good scenario for them...

The excitement on that Boise forum is really strange. They are really buying into the recent Orlando mentality that Boise, Houston, UCF, and BYU is an upgrade over West Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville.

And they seem to think if they join the Big East, the conference will retain its AQ status for eternity.

They seem...young and naive.

BYU to BE would be a hoot...Big 12 actually wanted BYU but because of no play on sundays and because of independence they were not biting the Big 12 offer...wonder if true what coolaide M shoved up their ass

BYU knew if they came to the BE they would be playing mostly weeknight games.

The BE should invite Hawaii...a road trip to Honolulu beats whatever bowl games the BE is tied to. Then they should invite Alaska-Anchorage to tie up that far-Northwest TV market. Finally, they should show the creativity they've always been known for by grabbing schools from Canada and Mexico. Maybe Columbia too if paying off the drug lords didn't cut too much into BE TV $$$

The BCS AQ is overrated.

The only purpose of the BCS is to pit 1 vs 2. everything else is pointless.

You could make the MAC and the MAAC and the MAAAC automatic qualifiers. If the computers/pollsters are any good at all, they're always going face off in the worst BCS game. So the Motor City Bowl becomes the Motor City BCS Bowl.

No one will care about it, recruits won't be excited about it. All your selling is an impossible dream of getting into the national championship - if you run the table in a terrible AQ conference, you're not going to get a shot, AQ or not. Won't fool anyone

i think the solution is to call everything BCS and have some plausible deniability when the politicians get involved.

http://forums.At their request, thi...rom this site./mb.aspx?s=336&f=4389&t=8162011

Looks like Marinatto is pulling out all the stops.

The debate continues...do we want the Big East to (barely) survive by adding these western teams so that UConn and Buttgers would have to be in a busted conference, having to sell recruits on annual trips to Idaho, Utah, Colorado and Texas? Or do we want it destroyed completely?
We want it wounded, not dead. If wounded, yes, it may take us longer to get out, but in the LR it is the best thing for us. Recruiting advantage squared.

The BCS AQ is overrated.

The only purpose of the BCS is to pit 1 vs 2. everything else is pointless.

You could make the MAC and the MAAC and the MAAAC automatic qualifiers. If the computers/pollsters are any good at all, they're always going face off in the worst BCS game. So the Motor City Bowl becomes the Motor City BCS Bowl.

No one will care about it, recruits won't be excited about it. All your selling is an impossible dream of getting into the national championship - if you run the table in a terrible AQ conference, you're not going to get a shot, AQ or not. Won't fool anyone

i think the solution is to call everything BCS and have some plausible deniability when the politicians get involved.

It's especially overrated because there's no guarantee the BCS will exist after 2013, and even if it does it probably won't for much longer after that.

I guess I get Boise's excitement because they know they can't sustain annual 11-1 seasons for much longer and an auto bid will give them some cushion. And it's a significantly larger pay day.

And they also probably feel that it's going to be difficult (politically) to pry the Big East's AQ status away after 2013, even if nothing but chicken sh#t is available for Marinatto to make his chicken salad. And they're probably right.

College football is played on Sundays?

I wonder if BYU is in the BE's discussion or if the BE is in BYU's discussion. Big difference

For BYU it would be 2 chances at the BCS, maybe only next year. 2012 is cost prohibitive for Boise due to MWC exit fee structure.

If Boise is in then one could argue that Boise >= WVU and BYU+UCF+Houston+SMU == SU+Pitt. If the BCS continues then they could retain the AQ status.

My understanding is that BYU would prefer independence.

It's not that much traveling. There would be west division with Boise, AF, BYU, Houston, SMU, and Cincy. They would only play 4 games against the eastern division schools meaning only 2 road trips east. Not that bad. The real question is would the BE keep the AQ after 2015. With Boise and BYU they might.