Class of 2016 - C Cheickna Dembele (PA) to UNLV | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 C Cheickna Dembele (PA) to UNLV

Great news in my opinion.

Sayonara Mr. Tautean Thompson. Waited too long.
You're probably right. But J-Kell threw out the possibility that we could get both. Wouldn't that be something. ;)

http://.com/looking-ahead-for-syracuse-basketball/

Last edited:
I don't understand the whole deal with Thompson, clearly we are the highest level school that has been after him from the start and it's like he is dragging this out to try to get the blue bloods involved (Kansas, UNC, Kentucky etc.) but he is only 86th in the ESPN top 100 so I just don't see the blue bloods getting involved.

2-3zone said:
I don't understand the whole deal with Thompson, clearly we are the highest level school that has been after him from the start and it's like he is dragging this out to try to get the blue bloods involved (Kansas, UNC, Kentucky etc.) but he is only 86th in the ESPN top 100 so I just don't see the blue bloods getting involved.

If they do get involved it won't take long for that 86 to turn into a 18

He's a Syracuse one and done. 4 star, think you can get at least 3 years out of, program guy...HAHA, jk, one and done bishes.

I dunno, but I like what's happening here. We need Tee to post a funny image as this heats up ...

And note that the BIG MAN HIMSELF is visiting a recruit!!!
Don't worry, I've got this.
XLairk.gif

Surprised nobody's posted this, but either Thompson or Dembele are one injury or unforeseen "wheelhouse" away from playing plenty of minutes. Crazier things have happened.
C Chukwu
F/C Coleman

F Roberson
F Lydon
F Moyer

That's one backup for the 5, 1 backup for both forward positions. Next guy gets plenty of run for a freshman. With our guard depth now, I think Mali plays 2.

We could take Dembele and still be 2 scholarships short.

I don't see how getting Dembele rules out Thompson.

Different positions.

We could take both and still have room for a guard.

If Mali leaves, we have room for 2 guards.

Other schools are trying to fill out a 13-man roster.

We're trying to figure out how to get nine, maybe 10, when we have 11 scholarships to offer.

Surprised nobody's posted this, but either Thompson or Dembele are one injury or unforeseen "wheelhouse" away from playing plenty of minutes. Crazier things have happened.
C Chukwu
F/C Coleman

F Roberson
F Lydon
F Moyer

That's one backup for the 5, 1 backup for both forward positions. Next guy gets plenty of run for a freshman. With our guard depth now, I think Mali plays 2.
Very good point. And let me add to that list:

1) Injuries +
2) fouls ... We've all seen SU bigs (like Rak and Keita) BOTH pick up 2-3 quick fouls. 3 legit bigs would give us 15 to use; and
3) fatigue ... being able to rest bigs while we get our transition game going, or rotate bigs to apply full court defensive pressure (keep one under the basket and have the other in front of the inbounder).

Last edited:
Reading that story it is hard not to root for this kid. I hope basketball helps him and his family have a better life. We live in the best country in the world and can go to the supermarket any time. Basketball for this kid is a life changer.

To me, why not even redshirt the kid if he's really a project? If worst comes to worst, we can always remove the redshirt, but is he even better than Chino right now?
Oh oh heck yes he is better that Chino now. This kid has a bit of a outside shot. But I see if we have a coach that works with the bigs that this kid could have a big upside.

No brainer, sign him up. Nice article. He will be a fan favorite too. This kid is a fast learner.

Hope he is indeed 6'10", my biggest disappointment with Chino was his size, if you get a project at least be big, but from TV land Chino looked to be 6'7" max.

Haha, I'm convinced. I've always though Serge Ibaka is the perfect type of Syracuse PF/C so the fact he wants to be Serge and his game definitely resembles Serge is big in my book.

I'm assuming the 3 star rating must be due to lack of exposure. He sounds way too fluid and skilled to not be a 4/5 star.

Agreed--kid came over, didn't have exposure before then, etc. I believe [my opinion only] that we scored big on this one.

EDIT--assuming we land him!

Last edited:
Could Dembele play PF next to Chukwu? If he's fluid with a jumpshot it could work.

I'm thinking that a year in the program might make a 2nd year Demebele a guy we want on the court and not buried behind Chukwu most of the game.

why on earth do they give out coach dowlings phone number?

Honestly the whole thing is sketchy as hell. The dog gone article says the school is in its first year of existing. Even the name of the place doesn't sound like a high school, but a sports management establishment. I am shocked the JB is jumping in feeling like they can clear somebody with this background. I have to assume they have done their due diligence, but this one seems like a bevy of hassles to worry about.

All I can think of is Diagne getting a nice backup at Northwest Florida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom