Class of 2022 - C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered

Off the top of my head: (1) Style of play, ie; zone defense, (2) Roster management, see; “Daddy Ball/Ironman mins, (3) Ornery HC who throws you under the bus in public, (4) NIL…just to name a few.

Hurley has seemingly toned it down a lot this year and has done a far better job than anyone could have expected. Not the norm you see with a spaz coach all the sudden turning a corner.

He played well and within hImself. He score 15 and had 10 boards coming off the bench. He’s just a huge kid with soft hands. Jackson also score 10 and had 13 rebounds. Hurley is just killing us on the recruiting trail. Our recruiting has really tanked since moving to the ACC. Hopkins left and JB stopped trying.
FIFY

Literally NONE of those things pertained to Clingan.

He was always heavily favored to 'stay home', so that meant UConn.
By default.

He is very close to his family, and IIRC there also may have been some sort of family member health issue at play too?
Anyway - he was always UConn's to lose, and they didn't, by virtue of being right in his backyard.

Conversely - some kids just want to get the heck outta Dodge, and do so -
Like JJ Starling, for example.
His family wanted him to play at home, but he had other ideas.
His mother recently died, leaving dad and a younger sibling at home, as I recall. For Stacey: A prospect's commitment to his hometown and the mother he lost

All due respect but the move to the ACC is not the reason our recruiting has tanked. It’s been well documented so I won’t repeat the basics, but the loss of Hop and his connections, combined w/ an underachieving staff and a HC who’s lost something on his fastball, and we have what we have. The move to the ACC was the least of the issues.
I disagree. Hop is definitely a factor, but there’s a reason that Villanova, Providence and Seton Hall have all improved since we are no longer a factor in the big East. Northeast players and families want to see their kids play. The ACC gives them fewer opportunities to watch them.

By default.

He is very close to his family, and IIRC there also may have been some sort of family member health issue at play too?
Anyway - he was always UConn's to lose, and they didn't, by virtue of being right in his backyard.

Clingan wasn’t coming here, that’s true. But our recruiting in general has gone into the **ter, and I submit its largely based on the 3 or more issues I outlined in my post. It’s been a perfect storm of suck, and it’s now starting to catch up to us. JMHO

I disagree. Hop is definitely a factor, but there’s a reason that Villanova, Providence and Seton Hall have all improved since we are no longer a factor in the big East. Northeast players and families want to see their kids play. The ACC gives them fewer opportunities to watch them.
We’ve lost top targets from New York to Maryland, Notre Dame, Washington, Arizona and Indiana. We stopped recruiting Jersey and Philly once Hop left.

We’ve lost top targets from New York to Maryland, Notre Dame, Washington, Arizona and Indiana. We stopped recruiting Jersey and Philly once Hop left.
And we lost a few players who “probably” would’ve signed if Hop was still around, even some local kids who followed him all the way to Washington state.
Once the momentum turned, it’s become harder and harder to get the elite recruits, notwithstanding the good class from last year. Remember, Judah fell into our laps at the last minute.

By default.

While those things are true, the mass defections and results speak for how we are viewed on the trail. We are being negatively recruited against these past few years, and we haven't had an effective counter-argument to get the recruits we really wanted.

I think also is that part of it is that our staff still thinks it's 10 or 15 years ago when they make an offer, and don't realize that we've been a mediocre team for 8 years and counting. We view our program better than recruits do.

This is undeniably true.

Not recruiting Philly and Jersey doesn't make any sense. We already don't recruit NYC. We need to get those kids. They have been the backbone of our best teams.

Not recruiting Philly and Jersey doesn't make any sense. We already don't recruit NYC. We need to get those kids. They have been the backbone of our best teams.
I agree. I‘m sick of the ACC excuse though. If we lost more guys to Big East schools I’d at least see it, but we are losing most of our top targets to Big Ten and western schools. Hardly easy for families to see their kids play.

We don’t even recruit the same kids Nova does anymore.

We used to own Philly and New Jersey. Those kids now want to play closer to home, ie Big East. This has all happened since joining the ACC. If this was all on Hop, then why aren’t they all going to Washington?

We used to own Philly and New Jersey. Those kids now want to play closer to home, ie Big East. This has all happened since joining the ACC. If this was all on Hop, them why aren’t they all going to Washington?
Well we don't even try there. Here's where some of our bigger misses mostly from NY have gone that did not include Duke. Answer to me if they are better schools and more convenient for their families to see them?

Gayle-Ohio State
Starling- Notre Dame
Huerter-Maryland
Stewart-Washington
T Bryant-Indiana
Randolph-Arizona
Huntley Hatfield-Tennessee
Mulvey-Iowa
Cockburn-Illinois
Lonnie Walker-Miami

Well we don't even try there. Here's where some of our bigger misses mostly from NY have gone that did not include Duke. Answer to me if they are better schools and more convenient for their families to see them?

Gayle-Ohio State
Starling- Notre Dame
Huerter-Maryland
Stewart-Washington
T Bryant-Indiana
Randolph-Arizona
Mulvey-Iowa
Cockburn-Illinois
Lonnie Walker-Miami
Makes me think we spend too much time going after the wrong recruits.

The main takeaway to me is we are getting destroyed by Big 10 schools.
In my opinion, we need to be going after guys that fit our system/culture more, not the top recruits that half the country is recruiting and then settling for backups after missing. The issue is, I don’t think there’s a clear vision of our system anymore…

People always seem to assume local kids want to stay local. At least from my experience, a lot of them seem to actively want to get out of the area.

I don't think Boeheim has done a good job of recruiting recently, but I also don't really agree with the idea that we start out in an advantageous position with the local kids due to our location and blow it.

People always seem to assume local kids want to stay local. At least from my experience, a lot of them seem to actively want to get out of the area.

I don't think Boeheim has done a good job of recruiting recently, but I also don't really agree with the idea that we start out in an advantageous position with the local kids due to our location and blow it.
That may be somewhat true if we always were this bad at keeping local talent, but that has not always been the case.

That may be somewhat true if we always were this bad at keeping local talent, but that has not always been the case.
I think the culture around staying close to home has probably changed too relative to the old days. Even just look at the list of "locals" you alluded to before and where they actually went to high school:

Gayle- Utah
Starling- Indiana
Huerter- New York
Stewart- Indiana
T Bryant- West Virginia
Randolph- Pennsylvania
Huntley Hatfield- Florida/Pennsylvania
Mulvey- Connecticut
Cockburn- Virginia
Lonnie Walker- Pennsylvania

Huerter was the only kid that stayed in New York through high school. A couple others stuck it out at their non-NY high school but most were transferring to greener pastures with more visibility as is.

This isn't limited to us either. Looking at the top 20 recruits from the current freshman class, these are the guys that stayed local:
  • Nick Smith
  • GG Jackson
  • Keyonte George
  • Amari Bailey
  • Arterio Morris
  • Adem Bona - if you consider him local; he grew up in Nigeria and Turkey until he moved to California a couple years ago
Our recruiting in terms of landing highly rated kids was great up until 2017. From 2003-2017, here's where the 4 star or better NYers went (according to 24/7):
  • Syracuse - 6 (out of 62)
  • UConn - 5
  • St. John's - 4
  • Seton Hall - 4
  • West Virginia - 3
  • Virginia - 3
  • Pittsburgh - 3
  • Louisville - 3
  • A bunch of schools with 1 or 2
We haven't landed a 4+ star recruit from NY since the 2012 class when we got Coleman. Maybe coincidentally, that was our last class before our move to the ACC; it's not lost on me that if you focus on the time period we were in the Big East, 11 schools landed at least 2 NYers and 9 of those 11 were Big East schools. Since the Big East crumbled, NY recruits have been spread around with no real pattern. The other notable thing is that NY just doesn't have highly rated recruits for the most part anymore. In the glory years, NY averaged 4-5 4+ star recruits. Now we're lucky to have more than 2. Generally speaking, if kids in NY are good at basketball nowadays, they leave in high school and never return.

Facts not in evidence.

What local talent have we kept over the years?

Buddy? JGIII?

Rautins & Triche weren’t very highly rated (I think Andy was like a 2*, literally Just A Guy - but obviously he became an excellent college player).

IIRC - Last notable highly ranked local recruit we won was DaJuan Coleman, who picked us over Kentucky.

Lydon was a great get, but we landed his commitment before he broke into the Top 100.

You’ve gotta go back to Paul Harris & Jonny Flynn to find upstate guys we landed who were highly regarded, and who were impactful.

Gayle-Ohio State
Starling- Notre Dame
Huerter-Maryland
Stewart-Washington
T Bryant-Indiana
Randolph-Arizona
Mulvey-Iowa
Cockburn-Illinois
Like we use to. The Melo and Flynn classes were the best as a whole. This class has play well lots of potential. Joe had a bad shooting night and we lost our starting point and had the game won if we stopped the damn ball.
In my opinion, we need to be going after guys that fit our system/culture more, not the top recruits that half the country is recruiting and then settling for backups after missing. The issue is, I don’t think there’s a clear vision of our system anymore…

Only caught a few minutes of UConn this weekend before my remote had a gag reflex and changed channels. My only impression of Clingan was he seemed much too slow to play effective post in a D1 2-3 zone. He would have got the old 17-minute mark hook and plenty of JB stink eye to go along with our 0-8 deficit.

Only caught a few minutes of UConn this weekend before my remote had a gag reflex and changed channels. My only impression of Clingan was he seemed much too slow to play effective post in a D1 2-3 zone. He would have got the old 17-minute mark hook and plenty of JB stink eye to go along with our 0-8 deficit.
You should have watched longer because he was MVP of the tournament. I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Kudos.

We used to own Philly and New Jersey. Those kids now want to play closer to home, ie Big East. This has all happened since joining the ACC. If this was all on Hop, then why aren’t they all going to Washington?

A bunch of them did, in case you've forgotten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom