Class of 2020 - C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netting AG, and Frank over Towns, and Tape is just more proof that there’s no need to freak out until the roster is set.
This was a blessing in disguise. He fits our Zone perfectly...Defense first, offense second. Oh, and you forgot the kid to FSU...this Kid is the best recruit of them all! I am so excited about how this all panned out, because there could not have been any better situation. Even Isaiah, the 5* is likely to leave after 1 year. This kid will be a pure backup, is projected to start with Edwards as his backup next year, and the Center position is looking nice. He's

I’m glad to have received the commitment from FA. But I’m also a fan of Sidibe. The kid works hard... through a lot of pain, and showed real progress this year. Next year he could be a much improved player. He isn’t a big bodied banger. And we need some of that to complement Sidibe. Hopefully FA is that player.
Sidibe will start, and Frank will be a full-time back up. Edwards should redshirt, because he and Frank will get plenty of time over the next couple of years, and he really needs the added time for weight gain. They could be a monster tandem.

I’m okay with Jesse redshirting, but I doubt he does, and I’m okay with that too. Of course he needs to get stronger, but I think the biggest things for him are getting used to the speed of the game, and building confidence. He just doesn’t look real comfortable out there, but nothing better than being thrown into action for that.

If I was starting a team, I would take Towns and tape over the guys we got. But not by that much. We rebounded well.
Not for the long haul. Frank is here for 2-3 years at least. The others wer
Maybe, but you have to weigh how many years they give you as well. I’d take Tape over Frank, but since Tape only gives you a year, then I’m going with Frank. I’d expect 3 from him, even though he wants it to be 2. Towns, and Griffin both have two years left, but who knows if either plays more than one.

Regardless, gimme AG over Towns. His ability to attack the basket is something Towns lacks. Towns is probably the better shooter, but not by a wide margin. He would be a better fit on D at the 3 right now. Still, I’m taking the more complete offensive game, plus AG has the tools, and motor to be solid on D. And Towns hasn’t played in two years, so that’s a minor concern.

You can’t go wrong either way really, but I think we made out better for the future, and in reality, the upcoming season may be best served to build for our next run at it.
AG also has a well-known Dad who played in the pros ala .Jeremy Grant.

Seems to me we gained great length in this class.
were 11th in the nation in average height last season, i predict well into the top 10 next year.
the 4 outgoing guys were between 6-3 and 6-6 while 6-5 is the shortest of the 4 newcomers
2021 rolling with
  • 5 guys 6-10 or more
  • 3 forwards in the 6-7, 6-8 range
  • 3 wings going 6-5, 6-6
  • and a 6 footish pg

Sidibe will start, and Frank will be a full-time back up. Edwards should redshirt, because he and Frank will get plenty of time over the next couple of years, and he really needs the added time for weight gain. They could be a monster tandem.
I’ve read that a few times and surprised me. Not that it couldn’t be true just wasn’t expecting. You think he immediately jumps edwards and ajak?

Really? I was at a game where Donovan McNabb played center...and that was a team with three centers in the rotation.

Had great seats for that game. I remember McNabb blocking a shot by Jahidi White and jumping right in his face to yell “You’re nothin’! You’re just fat!”

Last edited:
Danny was a huge surprise. The guy played 17 seasons in the NBA. He graduated HS a year early too. He wasn't super coordinated in HS at Jamesville-Dewitt. Realistically he was probably a recruit for LeMoyne vice SU but he was smart and did several things really well (boxing out, shooting free throws and being a coach on the floor)

And was an excellent trombone player. You know, in case that basketball thing DIDN’T work out!

I think the hard pursuit of another center in this class is further evidence that Syracuse recognizes a fundamental change has taken place in college basketball.

Players are rarely going to be willing to sit for a couple of years to get a chance to play. There are going to be transfers every season. Covid driven transfer wait waivers and the coming changes to transfer rules allowing players to be eligible immediately are just accelerating a trend that has already started.

Gone are the days when you could get away with having 9 or 10 scholarship players on your roster. I think Syracuse is going to try and fill their roster with scholarship players every season now, so they have some protection when the inevitable transfers happen.

This will of course ensure more players transfer, as JB is never going to play all 13 players.

Players who are willing to redshirt become a lot more valuable now.

If you want to play right away and aren't a top 50 talent, you might end up with limited options. I think that is ultimately what happened with Frank.

Glad JB and the staff are making adjustments to their recruiting strategies.

I hope the players, not just at Syracuse but everywhere, are able to put aside the need for instant gratification and be patient enough to wait their turn to play. Playing time shouldn't be the only consideration when deciding where to go to school. I am glad players have the freedom to move if necessary though.

I think the hard pursuit of another center in this class is further evidence that Syracuse recognizes a fundamental change has taken place in college basketball.

Players are rarely going to be willing to sit for a couple of years to get a chance to play. There are going to be transfers every season. Covid driven transfer wait waivers and the coming changes to transfer rules allowing players to be eligible immediately are just accelerating a trend that has already started.

Gone are the days when you could get away with having 9 or 10 scholarship players on your roster. I think Syracuse is going to try and fill their roster with scholarship players every season now, so they have some protection when the inevitable transfers happen.

This will of course ensure more players transfer, as JB is never going to play all 13 players.

Players who are willing to redshirt become a lot more valuable now.

If you want to play right away and aren't a top 50 talent, you might end up with limited options. I think that is ultimately what happened with Frank.

Glad JB and the staff are making adjustments to their recruiting strategies.

I hope the players, not just at Syracuse but everywhere, are able to put aside the need for instant gratification and be patient enough to wait their turn to play. Playing time shouldn't be the only consideration when deciding where to go to school. I am glad players have the freedom to move if necessary though.
I agree with everything except the bold. I think Frank had other options for immediate playing time (SDSU, New Mexico, and even WKU if they thought he could play next to Bassey), but he chose to go somewhere where his PT is limited this year, but could take off next year. It’s good to see a 4 star kid willing to be patient

I agree with everything except the bold. I think Frank had other options for immediate playing time (SDSU, New Mexico, and even WKU if they thought he could play next to Bassey), but he chose to go somewhere where his PT is limited this year, but could take off next year. It’s good to see a 4 star kid willing to be patient

Good post. I think its also a good sign that FA wants to play against the best competition, and isn't deterred by having to potentially wait a year. Playing multiple guys his size or bigger in practice will only be of benefit long term.

Ultimately, the more athletic big guys you have, the better -- and this was an excellent add. Quincy Ballard who?

Maybe but they can still be improved. He was getting abused in the paint much of the time.
BL: he needs to grow into his body.
That's strength, not fundamentals. It's almost axiomatic that European players, especially bigs, have better fundamentals than US players.

Had great seats for that game. I remember McNabb blocking a shot by Jahidi White and jumping right in his face to yell “You’re nothin’! You’re just fat!”
Donovan taking fitness shots...

This was a blessing in disguise. He fits our Zone perfectly...Defense first, offense second. Oh, and you forgot the kid to FSU...this Kid is the best recruit of them all! I am so excited about how this all panned out, because there could not have been any better situation. Even Isaiah, the 5* is likely to leave after 1 year. This kid will be a pure backup, is projected to start with Edwards as his backup next year, and the Center position is looking nice. He's
Hey I might have missed it but did you issue an apology to the staff for your comments regarding recruiting

I’m okay with Jesse redshirting, but I doubt he does, and I’m okay with that too. Of course he needs to get stronger, but I think the biggest things for him are getting used to the speed of the game, and building confidence. He just doesn’t look real comfortable out there, but nothing better than being thrown into action for that.

I think the minutes aren't going to be there for him. And if he doesn't redshirt I think hes at a disadvantage 21-22 if he only has 2 more years left and Ajok has 3 and Anselem has 3/4.

Its nice to get another guy in the mix when Marek and Sid leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom