Class of 2017 - C Hayden Koval/transfer from Central Arkansas | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C Hayden Koval/transfer from Central Arkansas

This kid is more on the slender side but still plays fairly physical. Long reach and anticipates really well. Elite shot blocker. He would be tremendous in the zone.. might not be the big strong body we all would like but he might be a better option as a rim protector considering the type of defense we use.

Last edited:
This kid is more on the slender side but still plays fairly physical. Long reach and anticipates really well. Elite shot blocker. He would be tremendous in the zone.. might be the big strong body we all would like but he might be a better option as a rim protector considering the type of defense we use.
sign me up. I like his numbers despite the competition.

Well I'm sure the staff knows all these guys who are available just as much of more then we do (I mean it is their job lol) but I did pass this kids info along to a staff member. #covidmademedoit (that's what I'm rolling with for all of these big guy threads I've been consumed by :p)

Since the announcement of his transfer it's been fairly quiet. Not sure who all is involved but I'd have to think if we wanted to pursue this kid that we would have a shot. Big time program for him and we can easily show him how his skillset fits with our style of play. Kid would swat everything outta the paint!

from a Michigan site 2 days ago. Looks like theres some other schools knocking money the door. No mention of us yet but hopefully we throw our hat in the ring if we havent already. There hasnt been much at all on this kid as far as media goes.

"Hayden Koval, Central Arkansas (traditional): At 7-foot, 220 pounds with 3-point shooting capabilities, Koval could offer a relative change of pace to Dickinson and Davis, who project to be more back-to-the-basket centers. Koval averaged 12.2 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.1 blocks last season. Koval’s recruitment has been quiet, but it appears that Louisville, Virginia Tech, Gonzaga and Illinois are among recent schools to inquire."

OK, I literally was just about to hit send on the below message before Cusesky's "Koval Committed" post. Oh well, here it is -- judge for yourself if SU missed out on anything good... Good luck to him at UNCG.

Koval is the next center on Cusesky's list that really intrigues me. Clips of him reminded me of a mid-major Matt Haarms -- tall, lanky, OK rebounder, superior shot blocker with pick-and-pop 3-point skill.

It was tough to evaluate Tchewa from Texas Tech because he's hardly played. Medley-Bacon's played a lot, but against MEAC talent. Fortunately, Koval's game logs offer plenty of looks against quality programs. The past three seasons, Central Arkansas played 11 times against P5 schools and 14 times against other major & high mid-major basketball conference teams. Here are his averages, broken down by competition:

Against P5
(Baylor 2x, UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Missou, Pitt, L'ville, Indiana, OK St., Duke)
9.8p / 4.8r / 1.5blk / 3.2fouls
Against major basketball-onlies & high mid-major conference or teams
(Tulsa, Stephen F. Austin 7x [in-conference], St. Louis, New Mexico, G'town, Wichita St., Utah, Marquette)
5.7p / 5.7r / 2.3blk / 3.0fouls

Against ACC-only
(Pitt, L'ville, Duke)
7.0p / 5.3r / 2.3blk / 3.33fouls

Comparison to incumbent SU center -
Sidibe vs. ACC - 21 games, 2019-20

6.0p / 7.2r / 1.4blk / 4.33fouls

Please note, Koval averaged close to 30 minutes per game the past 3 seasons, so these numbers are based on starter's minutes, not a smaller sample size. His stats hold up well against P5. The points per game against other major/mid-major is kind of an outlier because SFA held him to 2 points total in three games his freshman year. It was fairly consistent elsewhere.

Blocks are low against P5 but better in ACC, so not sure what to make of that, but his shot-blocking skill overall is still evident. He fouled out in 4 of the 25 games examined but generally knows how to defend without fouling. Rebounding probably should be better, but it's not bad. He might not be Haarms, but a certainly worthy alternative that would be superior for SU in at least one key area.

OK, I literally was just about to hit send on the below message before Cusesky's "Koval Committed" post. Oh well, here it is -- judge for yourself if SU missed out on anything good... Good luck to him at UNCG.

Koval is the next center on Cusesky's list that really intrigues me. Clips of him reminded me of a mid-major Matt Haarms -- tall, lanky, OK rebounder, superior shot blocker with pick-and-pop 3-point skill.

It was tough to evaluate Tchewa from Texas Tech because he's hardly played. Medley-Bacon's played a lot, but against MEAC talent. Fortunately, Koval's game logs offer plenty of looks against quality programs. The past three seasons, Central Arkansas played 11 times against P5 schools and 14 times against other major & high mid-major basketball conference teams. Here are his averages, broken down by competition:

Against P5
(Baylor 2x, UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Missou, Pitt, L'ville, Indiana, OK St., Duke)
9.8p / 4.8r / 1.5blk / 3.2fouls
Against major basketball-onlies & high mid-major conference or teams
(Tulsa, Stephen F. Austin 7x [in-conference], St. Louis, New Mexico, G'town, Wichita St., Utah, Marquette)
5.7p / 5.7r / 2.3blk / 3.0fouls

Against ACC-only
(Pitt, L'ville, Duke)
7.0p / 5.3r / 2.3blk / 3.33fouls

Comparison to incumbent SU center -
Sidibe vs. ACC - 21 games, 2019-20

6.0p / 7.2r / 1.4blk / 4.33fouls

Please note, Koval averaged close to 30 minutes per game the past 3 seasons, so these numbers are based on starter's minutes, not a smaller sample size. His stats hold up well against P5. The points per game against other major/mid-major is kind of an outlier because SFA held him to 2 points total in three games his freshman year. It was fairly consistent elsewhere.

Blocks are low against P5 but better in ACC, so not sure what to make of that, but his shot-blocking skill overall is still evident. He fouled out in 4 of the 25 games examined but generally knows how to defend without fouling. Rebounding probably should be better, but it's not bad. He might not be Haarms, but a certainly worthy alternative that would be superior for SU in at least one key area.
Great write up! U have been crushing it...greatly appreciate it! Sucks because I liked this kids potential as a rim protector for us that could also stretch the floor. The covid situation has really changed how recruting is going down and how kids are making decisions. Oh well, on to the next one! Plenty of options out there still.

UNC Greensboro. LOL.

None of these kids are better than Sidibe.
This kid was a good hypothetical prospect who definitely would have fit the mold of having a rim protector to spell minutes for a year to give our allstar sidibe a rest. Also more experienced then our youngsters so he probably would provide more quality minutes then them and just help fill the gap for a year. LOL. But yea I feel the vibes your putting out my man. Keep em coming! "LOL"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom