Class of 2019 - C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played hurt and struggled.
I haven't read anything about him being hurt. Do you have a link or article that mentions it (and what type of injury) because that would explain a lot.

I haven't read anything about him being hurt. Do you have a link or article that mentions it (and what type of injury) because that would explain a lot.
I can't recall the injury but I read it somewhere and basically the idea was he was dealing with something and now it's in the rear view and expect him to play better going forward. I will try to find and post it.

We do not get big-time centers bc they will not be the focal point of our offense and playing the mid-spot in a JB zone does not lead to great stats, we couldn’t close Nate Roberts, Osun, and Vlad most recently, and it’s not bc the staff hasn’t been trying, JB wants the best players on the court to do their thing , NBA pro offense, big guys do not get the ball, Rak Sr year was an anomaly, our focus for big men in general has to be below radar guys or transfers, if we were to get Stewart JB changes the Offense.
The only guy of the 3 i wanted was Osun, he would have been a good fit.

I hope we get QW.
So I guess junior and senior year Arinze and junior and senior year Rick Jackson and senior year Daryl Watkins and senior year Rak were all anomalies. Etan Thomas. Dajuan Coleman, too. If he hadn’t gotten injured, he would have been a legit post threat. It seems we’ve had a lot of anomalies. JB creates his offense based on the players he has on the roster that season and what they’re capable of and what will help us win. He def wants to feed the post—when we have guys who can deliver down there. How many major conference teams make the center spot the focal point of the offense? Big-time centers capable of scoring effectively in the post are more of a rare breed compared to scoring guards.

"Feeding the post" is one of the least efficient plays in basketball, and I'm sure JB knows it.

Having a center who create his own offense is a luxury.

"Feeding the post" is one of the least efficient plays in basketball, and I'm sure JB knows it.

Have to disagree with you on this one. It would be an outstanding option to have when your
'shooters' can't hit the broadside of a barn from deep. An argument goes, "you gotta hit 60%
from two if I'm hitting 40% from deep", yeah, but, when you're shooting in the teens or low
20s from deep, or you desperately need a good shot, throwing it into the post for a shot from
inside five feet sure sounds like a good idea.

kev

Have to disagree with you on this one. It would be an outstanding option to have when your
'shooters' can't hit the broadside of a barn from deep. An argument goes, "you gotta hit 60%
from two if I'm hitting 40% from deep", yeah, but, when you're shooting in the teens or low
20s from deep, or you desperately need a good shot, throwing it into the post for a shot from

kev
If you can't shoot, it's very hard to have a good offense. See last year.

Posting up leads to low percentage two point plays. My preferred solution is to get better shooters (and guards that can penetrate), not load up on an antiquated mid-90s strategy.

I'm not saying I want it as my only offense. I want a post player who I can throw the ball to and
get a high percentage shot when I choose to, instead of looking at an offense that shoots:

3-19 from deep, top guys going 12-47
6-21 from deep, top go 17-51
5-18 from deep, 12-44
4-21 from deep, 13-45
6-25 from deep, 10-39
8-23 from deep, 15-53

and saying let's run another iso play for these guys, cuz they'll get a good shot. Just get a guy,
who can score a bucket on something other than a put back or an alley oop, for those situations
where I really want to get a good shot.

kev

disagree with this part ^ of your post

a post player who can draw fouls - and knock them down - is as efficient as a good three point shooter. the guys who push the efficiency stats will tell you that three pointers and free throws are the two most efficient plays in basketball.
on the 2010 team, which featured an outstanding perimeter attack (39.1% as a team, good for 16th in the nation) with 3 rotation players shooting 40% or better from deep and another shooting 39% . . . it was arinze onuaku who led the rotation players in effective field goal pct and true shooting pct.

this part^, on the other hand, i agree with. arinze is the evidence here, too.

a post player who can draw fouls - and knock them down - is as efficient as a good three point shooter. the guys who push the efficiency stats will tell you that three pointers and free throws are the two most efficient plays in basketball.
on the 2010 team, which featured an outstanding perimeter attack (39.1% as a team, good for 16th in the nation) with 3 rotation players shooting 40% or better from deep and another shooting 39% . . . it was arinze onuaku who led the rotation players in effective field goal pct and true shooting pct.

hmm..maybe the fact that the shooters were so effective is what allowed arinze to operate without seeing double teams, extra attention, etc.

hmm..maybe the fact that the shooters were so effective is what allowed arinze to operate without seeing double teams, extra attention, etc.
that may well be the case
but it is a different point than the one you initially argued & to which i responded

it doesn't belong in this thread, but . . .

gddmmit that team was good! inside, outside on offense. killer defense.

that's the one that got away & will haunt me forever

it doesn't belong in this thread, but . . .

gddmmit that team was good! inside, outside on offense. killer defense.

that's the one that got away & will haunt me forever

Nothing is obviously a guarantee with how the tournament unfolds, but even without Arinze, we HAD Butler and let it slip through our grasp. That they advanced to the finals and lost to a generally unimpressive Duke squad tells me that we had a good shot that season, were it not for Arinze's injury.

Dammit.

Nothing is obviously a guarantee with how the tournament unfolds, but even without Arinze, we HAD Butler and let it slip through our grasp. That they advanced to the finals and lost to a generally unimpressive Duke squad tells me that we had a good shot that season, were it not for Arinze's injury.

Dammit.
Agreed, we could have beaten Butler without AO. But we needed Arinze to rattle off 6 in a row to win it all. He was practically automatic down on the block. When we needed a bucket, we could always get him the ball. If they double-teamed him, Wes, Andy, Kris Jo or Scoop would be left open and he was a very good passer. That team with AO could have beaten Butler, K State, Michigan State and Duke.

Dammit.
i remember on the eve of the tournament, before it was publicly disclosed that arinze was out, bobby knight & coach k in separate interviews declared syracuse the clear favorites to win the whole thing. two guys who know more about what it takes to win it than just about everybody, so it is not just we fanboys who know what might should have been.

apologies for the thread hijack

This is silly. Have a low post threat on offense (1) opens up better looks for outside shooters on kick outs, and (2) is a way to get high percentage shots, and (3) allows you to get to the line, so you can score without the clock moving, which is essential if you're trying to make a come back.

This is silly. Have a low post threat on offense (1) opens up better looks for outside shooters on kick outs, and (2) is a way to get high percentage shots, and (3) allows you to get to the line, so you can score without the clock moving, which is essential if you're trying to make a come back.
why do you think the NBA is moving in the exact opposite direction?

what you're saying is intuitive, but i don't think it's correct.

Because the NBA isn't college. Big men are far more skilled in the NBA, so stretching the floor for spacing is easier to do. Most teams who compete for the Final Four still have a wave of big men that they can send in to wear down opponents (e.g, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, year after year).

The NBA loooooooves passing from the post.

kev

Last year a 3 point shooter hitting 20 percent was more efficient than Brissett from inside.

Luckily this year we have a squad of shooters which not only makes us a threat on the outside but will open up the inside a lot more. If you think we'll be feeding the post regularly then you're crazy. There's a reason why it's being phased out.

I’m wondering if I will see anything on Ajak here. Guess I’m on the wrong thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.