Class of 2019 - C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I haven't watched him play as much as other kids but I would say he isn't the most athletic kid in the world, doesn't seem like a great shot blocker to me and could struggle in the middle right out of the gate on defense. I guess if we are comparing to Pascal he would be an upgrade on offense but I'm not sure he will be asked to do contribute a lot there. We will have a good amount of wings if OB comes back so it could mean Eli or QG playing up top depending on how Jalen develops and Goodine looks out of the gate. I'm guessing we play Marek some at the 5 with Eli and OB at the forwards and Quincy up top with Jalen. I could be wrong though.
I don't think OB will be here, Guerrier will step in, and we want to play Marek as much at the 4 as possible. I think there's room for a scoring center. But that's my take

I don't think OB will be here, Guerrier will step in, and we want to play Marek as much at the 4 as possible. I think there's room for a scoring center. But that's my take

Not sure about OB being gone -- I believe that's what he planned / expected heading into the season, but where is he going to go? Hard to envision him getting drafted off of this year's performance.

Not sure about OB being gone -- I believe that's what he planned / expected heading into the season, but where is he going to go? Hard to envision him getting drafted off of this year's performance.
This is true. I guess I just feel he has always been poised to make a premature decision

Also there were many people saying it was impossible for AW3 to play up top in the zone and it took Boeheim too long to make the change in my opinion. You said this way early and I remember thinking it way early as well. It's no revisionist history.

I was WAY more concerned about his "fit" [or lack thereof] as a 2 in our system offensively. It was clear from watching film and then evaluating stats as a function of his game footage that he offered nothing as a ball handler and was a subpar passer. I questioned his lateral mobility up top, and believed that he was a better fit on the back line [which I think was eventually borne out] -- but the offensive skill set was far more worrisome.

Especially when White was paired with a PG who was totally unproven at that point, and who didn't predominate the ball. Put a guy like this next to Sherman Douglas or Pearl -- no problem, the ball's going to be in the PG's hands 99% of the time anyway. But in a lineup with a guy who didn't have proven capabilities, fielding a backcourt where the 2 couldn't alleviate some of the ball handling / play making pressure was a recipe for disaster.

Especially in a lineup that also featured a stretch four who also couldn't handle the ball playing out of position at 3, the other wing position that traditionally handles the ball a lot in our system.

I don't think he's getting drafted as of right now.
He has been improving and maybe the team will get on a roll, but he hasn't played as well as last year to this point.

If we can just put together a long, athletic team of guys that can defend at a high level come March, and shoot the 3 ball...we’re winning a lot of games and making deep tourney runs.

I really don’t care about having post-up guys (although I’ll take an IS in a heartbeat). If we can bring in talented guards & wings, (which we are) I’ll take 3 star 6’10 post players that can shoot, albeit with zero post up game, allllllll day.

If we can just put together a long, athletic team of guys that can defend at a high level come March, and shoot the 3 ball...we’re winning a lot of games and making deep tourney runs.

I really don’t care about having post-up guys (although I’ll take an IS in a heartbeat). If we can bring in talented guards & wings, (which we are) I’ll take 3 star 6’10 post players that can shoot, albeit with zero post up game, allllllll day.
If said 6'10 post player has zero post game but just shoots threes, is he a post player?????? Or will he just be a 6'10 shooting guard who plays the back line of the zone

I can see Ajak being very effective getting the ball at the foul line and being utilized the same way Lydon was.

Was struggling with a comp but think I got a good one now. Derrick Caracter from Louisville,obviously not as high rated but body type and skill set are similar

Was struggling with a comp but think I got a good one now. Derrick Caracter from Louisville,obviously not as high rated but body type and skill set are similar
Wasn't caracter more the sweetney variety?

he's been working hard. much more muscular than when we began recruiting him in 2017. reportedly measuring out at 6-10, 230. bigger but still pretty fluid for a big guy. clip above is all offense but still a strong rebounding & rim protecting force as well.

I look forward to complaints about his slow release, without realizing that the clips were all in slow motion.

So, he's the next Elvir Ovcina? :p

I can see Ajak being very effective getting the ball at the foul line and being utilized the same way Lydon was.

I don't see him dribbling past people to get to the rim.
He could make the shot from there, but his release looks kind of slow to me.

He isn’t like any of those guys he is compared to. Doesn’t seem quick, as a lean undersized big has to be in our program. Maybe just a game with no sense of urgency. But he can shoot it.

I don't think he's getting drafted as of right now.
He has been improving and maybe the team will get on a roll, but he hasn't played as well as last year to this point.

But, but OB was as elite of a recriut as there could be, a clear one and done -- he's gone!! ;)

He’s definitely no bean pole. Has more skill than many realize as well. He’ll be a nice surprise. Doesgotta speed things up some but he has slow defenders on him so it hasn’t really mattered. Most shooters adujsut with it as the comp does. If he can get a slight post game with that jumper he could be realll nice on the O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom