Class of 2019 - C Kofi Cockburn (NY/Oak Hill) to Illinois | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Kofi Cockburn (NY/Oak Hill) to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure hope we are in the mix with this kid. Need a physical dude down low. This guy brings it. Sidibe/Chewy are still light and easily get rooted out of position. Who knows about Sidibe’s recovery. Get Kofi for like 2-3 years and bring in Akok next year who can roam around and step out and shoot. That would be awesome. Not big on Wahab and hope he is further down the trough on their list.

I sure hope we are in the mix with this kid. Need a physical dude down low. This guy brings it. Sidibe/Chewy are still light and easily get rooted out of position. Who knows about Sidibe’s recovery. Get Kofi for like 2-3 years and bring in Akok next year who can roam around and step out and shoot. That would be awesome. Not big on Wahab and hope he is further down the trough on their list.

Why are u so high on kofi over wahab? Type of game they play is very similar with kofi just being bulkier and more of a bully. Curious as to why hes that much better in your eyes?

Why are u so high on kofi over wahab? Type of game they play is very similar with kofi just being bulkier and more of a bully. Curious as to why hes that much better in your eyes?

Maybe I’m in the minority. I just see the two as different spectrums. In traffic it seems like Wahab, even against much smaller guys, is fading away from the hoop too much. A little clunky. He has nice touch and such for sure but Kofi is MUCH stronger, more decisive, and a better finisher. Better athlete, too. Again, just my $.02.

Maybe I’m in the minority. I just see the two as different spectrums. In traffic it seems like Wahab, even against much smaller guys, is fading away from the hoop too much. A little clunky. He has nice touch and such for sure but Kofi is MUCH stronger, more decisive, and a better finisher. Better athlete, too. Again, just my $.02.
Gotchya...dont get me wrong, If given the choice id take kofi over wahab...but I think wahab isnt too far behind and might even have better long term potential. I'd sign up for either one but I do hope we are in the mix for landing a beast like kofi. That's one kid that wont get bullied around...he will do the bullying!

Gotchya...dont get me wrong, If given the choice id take kofi over wahab...but I think wahab isnt too far behind and might even have better long term potential. I'd sign up for either one but I do hope we are in the mix for landing a beast like kofi. That's one kid that wont get bullied around...he will do the bullying!

Yep. I think Wahab has a CHANCE to be a better player at some point like you say. Has some natural skills that Kofi probably doesn’t have. But, I’m just so tired of raw and beanpole centers who get pushed around and can’t finish easily.

Last edited:
Was this kid named after the famous McDonald’s lawsuit?
That was an old woman in that lawsuit, so I don't think so. Now, if his last name were Rugburn, you'd be on to something. Coincidentally, It's the exact reason I don't rest my coffee between my legs anymore.

i've come to believe that the two most important things in a recruit are (a) talent and (b) buy-in. it's better to have a seemingly low rated recruit who has 100% (or close to it) buy-in than a highly ranked kid who's already looking beyond the program. a dolezaj over a Thompson, a braswell over a baszley, even a Washington over a green. yes, we'd all love to have a stud, mcdonald's big man. but if they don't want to be here, give me a chuckwu or a sidibe or a jba any day.

I think there is some validity to the importance of a player "buying in" to the system. They do tend to work harder, and they're more coachable. However, I am concerned that it appears that fewer and fewer of the best players are buying what we're selling.

For example, one would think we should be able to land an elite big guy this class. With Chewy done after this season and Sidibe still somewhat of an unknown commodity, and a health risk, you would think we shouldn't have too much trouble landing an elite big.

IF we do indeed miss on our top bigs maybe JB Ajak can do ok for us. I'm not that high on the guy but I suspect Ajak (and maybe Wahab) is the most realistic target at this point. This does bring to the surface a bigger question.

What is the cause for the elite guys not "buying in?" AND what if anything can be done to rectify it? Is it all corruption/bags? Or do we need to consider other factors?

i've come to believe that the two most important things in a recruit are (a) talent and (b) buy-in. it's better to have a seemingly low rated recruit who has 100% (or close to it) buy-in than a highly ranked kid who's already looking beyond the program. a dolezaj over a Thompson, a braswell over a baszley, even a Washington over a green. yes, we'd all love to have a stud, mcdonald's big man. but if they don't want to be here, give me a chuckwu or a sidibe or a jba any day.

With you for the most part, but think you need than one transcendent talent to get to the very top. Look at the 2003 team. All program type guys plus Melo. Look at the last two Final Four teams. All program type guys with no "Melo." Yes there were a couple of "one-and-done" (or two-and-done with MCW) players on those teams but no rock solid number one option. I think the ideal is to build a strong foundation for continuity and consistency then bring in the stud 5-star guy to push you over the top. With sanctions, defections, and injuries we haven't been able to maintain that solid foundation the last few years but weathered the storm fairly well.

I mean we say that now but what? We were all ecstatic about Bazely. Thompson wasn’t a real stud anyways. He wanted to be here but his mom interfered, regardless. No question we would have benefited from Bazely. A guy like Braswell has some talent but he’s a project and needs time to get stronger. Probably two years away and nobody has a clue yet. Green at the time was a desperation maneuver by the staff because the PG situation was so grim. Eggs all in one basket. I’m not convinced Boeheim is still happy with PG because of recent quotes about the MSU game and the presser immediately after the game regarding Frank fouling out. But, I digress. Chukwu, nice kid, and a decent defensive presence. Weak still and you play a man down on offense, obviously. I LOVE the kid. Felt really bad for him when Frank kept summoning him to run all the way out to bail him out with a screen constantly. Sure we want some bottom end Top 100 depth and guys to stay around but they need to show some skills. Not just raw zone length fits. Lastly, we need to find guys who are ok with all zone. Not just at first but at the end of the recruiting process when lists are being trimmed. Usually, that takes us out of the picture instantaneously with many blue chip guys. Hence, skills being sacrificed more often than not for a “buy-in” or guy who wants to be here. For better or worse? I’d say worse.

Last edited:
I mean we say that now but what? We were all ecstatic about Bazely. Thompson wasn’t a real stud anyways and can’t even get off the bench at Seton Hall. He wanted to be here but his mom interfered, regardless. No question we would have benefited from Bazely. A guy like Braswell has some talent but he’s a project and needs time to get stronger. Probably two years away and nobody has a clue yet. Green at the time was a desperation maneuver by the staff because the PG situation was so grim. Eggs all in one basket. I’m not convinced Boeheim is still happy with PG because of recent quotes about the MSU game and the presser immediately after the game regarding Frank fouling out. But, I digress. Chukwu, nice kid, and a decent defensive presence. Weak still and you play a man down on offense, obviously. I LOVE the kid. Felt really bad for him when Frank kept summoning him to run all the way out to bail him out with a screen constantly. Sure we want some bottom end Top 100 depth and guys to stay around but they need to show some skills. Not just raw zone length fits. Of course we need to find guys who are ok with all zone but that takes us out of the picture instantaneously with many blue chip guys. Hence, skills being sacrificed more often than not for a “buy-in” or guy who wants to be here. For better or worse? I’d say worse.
How do you know this...he hasn’t even been eligible to play a single minute for Seton Hall yet.

I get what you mean though...and although he was a terrible defender...there is little doubt he would have been a big time offensive player for us last year.

How do you know this...he hasn’t even been eligible to play a single minute for Seton Hall yet.

I get what you mean though...and although he was a terrible defender...there is little doubt he would have been a big time offensive player for us last year.

My mistake. Sorry. I thought there was some loophole he was able to get around making him eligible in January 2018. My bad.

He called Yukon a blue blood in the article. Good lord.

Well the minimal joy we can get is the boneyard dancing around that they are a blue blood and we aren't before being squashed when he picks UK. This sucks but not all that surprising given the tea leaves recently. Let's just hope Akok and Wahab are ours.

He called Yukon a blue blood in the article. Good lord.
Yeah they have their titles but no coach on their staff except Tom Moore was even a part of it. Their past is their past but it’s not like Calhoun is there coaching. Calhoun made that program, but without him it’s not what it was. Hurley has 2 NCAA Tournament wins in his career. It’s a bizarre statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.