Class of 2018 - C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters

I agree that Sidibe has nice potential. But how is Majak different from Chukwu?

Both are skinny and will get eaten alive by stronger bigs. Both are very limited offensively. They truly seem like duplicate players, and I'm not that enthralled with Chukwu.

Please No!!!!!!

I agree that Sidibe has nice potential. But how is Majak different from Chukwu?

Both are skinny and will get eaten alive by stronger bigs. Both are very limited offensively. They truly seem like duplicate players, and I'm not that enthralled with Chukwu.

Please No!
Hey, cats aren't going to rescue themselves...:)

I expect Sidibe to be really,
I expect Sidibe to be really, really good. It might not fully connect in year one, but he's going to be the surprise of this class. And the pivot will be in solid hands throughout the rest of the time he spends on the hill.

So I'm not worried about having to bring in some stud who can start right way in 2018 or 2019. Get the best players you can, but a shotblocking athlete who is just beginning to scratch the surface isn't a bad gamble to take.

And for the record, I say this being 100% in agreement with Iommi's assessment above. Think he might have better potential than Sean Williams, though [the only point where I disagree slightly], based upon the competition level he's facing.

Not much to disagree with there. My only concern is that if this year closes the book on PC as someone who just isn't going to be able to contribute I would argue someone who can be brought in who isn't a project would better suit us and also not put us in a spot where Sidibe is the only 5 on the roster the staff trusts. It shouldn't take more than the non conf slate to get a feel for PC. Hopefully he surprises in which case bringing a kid in to learn and maybe red shirt a year could pay huge dividends.

If we really wanted Majak at this point in time we probably would have offered him already...right. I think that we are putting out a feeler to him, showing him a little love. If he doesn't decide until the spring and he makes another major jump in ability we have already established a connection with him and an offer wouldn't be coming out of left field.

I expect Sidibe to be really, really good. It might not fully connect in year one, but he's going to be the surprise of this class. And the pivot will be in solid hands throughout the rest of the time he spends on the hill.

So I'm not worried about having to bring in some stud who can start right way in 2018 or 2019. Get the best players you can, but a shotblocking athlete who is just beginning to scratch the surface isn't a bad gamble to take.

And for the record, I say this being 100% in agreement with Iommi's assessment above. Think he might have better potential than Sean Williams, though [the only point where I disagree slightly], based upon the competition level he's facing.

I wasn't saying he'd be as ineffective (trying to be nice) as Sean Williams at SU, just that the guy I watched last year reminded me of the Cat Rescuer. Just tall and skinny and... Not much else. He looks a little more coordinated and I don't think SW was a ***, not that stars mean everything. The staff has been watching him since they were looking at Whitney at Roselle Catholic. As I did with the Roberts offer, I trust the staff.

I wouldn't be shocked if this happens. Even the Waters piece had a very similar tone to his other pieces right before we offered someone.

On top of that, most of the Basketball Without Borders/ SEEDS players tend to have great intangibles, including work ethic, being good students, etc. Again, that has been a pattern with these kids. Maybe the thinking is that this kid has some coordination and is coachable. Put those things together with 7'1" and there ya go.

Last edited:
If we really wanted Majak at this point in time we probably would have offered him already...right. I think that we are putting out a feeler to him, showing him a little love. If he doesn't decide until the spring and he makes another major jump in ability we have already established a connection with him and an offer wouldn't be coming out of left field.

That makes sense and that's how it should play out but it sounds to me like an offer won't be that far off.

That makes sense and that's how it should play out but it sounds to me like an offer won't be that far off.
Really...hope that huge jump happens in the next week then.

Really...hope that huge jump happens in the next week then.

I think he'd be looked at as a depth player. But if PC decides to leave with his degree we would need a real backup. Again, maybe he has shown a lot of improvement. I don't know how much basketball he played in the Sudan. Maybe he's still relatively new to the game, which wouldn't be unusual.

I'm just spitballing.

Maybe this kid amounts to something, but constantly going after length, theoretical upside and potential shot blocking over basketball skills at the center position is getting old. Why can't we recruit many actual skilled players there, instead of absolute projects?

This feels like 100% zone related recruiting. We need guys that can actually bang inside and protect the glass.

Maybe this kid amounts to something, but constantly going after length, theoretical upside and potential shot blocking over basketball skills at the center position is getting old. Why can't we recruit many actual skilled players there, instead of absolute projects?

This feels like 100% zone related recruiting. We need guys that can actually bang inside and protect the glass.

This is a good post. Interesting that UW has an offer out to him. Hop obviously saw him a lot at RC and he's not recruiting for a zone. I agree 100% though.

Either PC & Sidibe are showing improvement or this guy is much better than he was last year.

And wasn't Hopkins quoted in today's syracuse.com article that he is installing zone defense this year at UW?

Either PC & Sidibe are showing improvement or this guy is much better than he was last year.

And wasn't Hopkins quoted in today's syracuse.com article that he is installing zone defense this year at UW?

Hop will mix and match defenses.

The big man depth this class is weak.

I think he'd be looked at as a depth player. But if PC decides to leave with his degree we would need a real backup. Again, maybe he has shown a lot of improvement. I don't know how much basketball he played in the Sudan. Maybe he's still relatively new to the game, which wouldn't be unusual.

I'm just spitballing.

Beat me to it. Many are overlooking the fact we could be down to one center next year if Chukwu departs. We can’t just pocket the scholarship if this happens.

I wasn't saying he'd be as ineffective (trying to be nice) as Sean Williams at SU, just that the guy I watched last year reminded me of the Cat Rescuer. Just tall and skinny and... Not much else. He looks a little more coordinated and I don't think SW was a ***, not that stars mean everything. The staff has been watching him since they were looking at Whitney at Roselle Catholic. As I did with the Roberts offer, I trust the staff.

I wouldn't be shocked if this happens. Even the Waters piece had a very similar tone to his other pieces right before we offered someone.

On top of that, most of the Basketball Without Borders/ SEEDS players tend to have great intangibles, including work ethic, being good students, etc. Again, that has been a pattern with these kids. Maybe the thinking is that this kid has some coordination and is coachable. Put those things together with 7'1" and there ya go.

I agree that Majak likely has a high work ethic and will likely be a good student. But that's about all that impresses me about this guy. I also agree that the article has the same sales pitch tone that the article written about Hughes did. Thank goodness we got Carey and Bazely, or I'd have a really hard time swallowing this one.

Last edited:
If he comes here, can we call him Majur Payne?!

recency bias.

you are thinking of chino and pc. and yes we have famously missed on guys like sean williams and devin brennan-mcbride, but the fact is we have had 7 consecutive years of mcdonalds all american centers (fab then roc then dc2, whose injury limited career also feeds into the recency bias).

before the three hamburger centers, we had ricky. and before that arinze. then mookie. then forth, who was a big, strong kid and a top 100 recruit. so the facts are that we traditionally do, in fact, go after - and usually land - big strong centers. probation killed that run by driving off thomas bryant who would have been next in line. now we have sidibe who doesn't now have the bulk you want but who nonetheless is going to be an absolute stud and we likely won't have him for 3 years.

now we have sidibe who doesn't now have the bulk you want but who nonetheless is going to be an absolute stud and we likely won't have him for 3 years.

You really don't think we will have Sidibe for 3 years? I'm not singling you out, Moqui, I know you've been a Sidibe Supporter but it's amazing how quickly the feelings about Bourama have changed in just a couple months. There were a lot of skeptics here. Let's be fair to him and see how he plays. He needs to make a lot of strides but I'm confident he will be solid.

To me, I'd still be surprised if he's not here for 3 years. He needs to expand his range, improve as a FT shooter and get stronger. But then again, our guys like going pro.

You really don't think we will have Sidibe for 3 years? I'm not singling you out, Moqui, I know you've been a Sidibe Supporter but it's amazing how quickly the feelings about Bourama have changed in just a couple months. There were a lot of skeptics here. Let's be fair to him and see how he plays. He needs to make a lot of strides but I'm confident he will be solid.

To me, I'd still be surprised if he's not here for 3 years. He needs to expand his range, improve as a FT shooter and get stronger. But then again, our guys like going pro.
let me rephrase it: i think we'll be lucky to have him for 3 years.