Class of 2018 - C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters

No disrespect to anyone, but saying we've had successful big men recently depends on how you look at it. Considering their high school rankings one could argue that Rak and Fab underachieved. Rak didn't bust out until his senior season. DC2 was injured so I'll give you that one. Forth, Rick and Arinze were adequate+. Weren't these guys were ranked higher than #305 which is Majak's current ranking?

Please don't misunderstand me, I hope Majak can magically become a great player but outside of his height, probable work ethic/coachability and an awesome name this really seems like a reach, and below SU standards.
Forth wasn’t anywhere near the same league as Arinze and even Rick Jackson. Also, AO and Rick were way more than adequate overall. But to your other point, dominant big men are a rarity in college basketball. A big guy that develops over 3-4 years like Rak is what most top programs strive for.

Forth wasn’t in the same league as Arinze and even Rick Jackson. Also, AO and Rick were way more than adequate. But to your other point, dominant big men are a rarity in college basketball. A big guy that develops over 3-4 years like Rak is what most top programs strive for.

If you follow the thread a little further I did state that adequate+ was a disservice to RJ and AO.:)

I realize you guys are talking about recent big men but if you go back a little farther, Seikaly was also a project when he got to SU. He red-shirted his freshman year, was just a raw talent and by his junior and senior years he was a complete stud. Probably the best big man in the country at that point. So there's that.
and etan as well
arguably, the three best centers of the boeheim era - seikaly, etan, arinze - were all lightly recruited projects

Rak didn't truly blossom until he was a senior. Fab wasn't good his first year. Given that they were both top 50 recruits one could argue that they should've been good from day one. That's what most are expecting of Bazely and Carey - to be immediate starters and possibly one/done. AO and Rick were good (adequate+ was a disservice). BUT my point is this, all these guys were rated higher than Majak. Why are we looking to a 300+ rated recruit for our center vacancy if PC leaves? He's a project at best, and beneath SU standards. Just my opinion. ;)
Big guys take longer to develop. That’s a fact. Most of them outside the top 10 aren’t day 1 impact players.

Big guys take longer to develop. That’s a fact. Most of them outside the top 10 aren’t day 1 impact players.

I don't disagree. I was really trying more to state that all of these guys were more highly rated than Majak. If a higher rated guy (take Rak for example) takes till his senior year to bust out and he was considered an elite stud 5 star guy then I think it's highly unlikely that Majak can contribute anything meaningful for years if ever. I did not mean to disrespect any of the former players (all rated higher than Majak), and perhaps my analogy wasn't the best. But Majak IMO seems to below these other guys we've been discussing in terms of skill, athleticism, and talent.

I think you mean well, and you've helped me out in the past. I'm appreciative of that. I'm sure you don't mean it to sound this way, but this comes off as I understand that is your opinion and that's totally cool, but let me tell you why you need to reconsider.

I sincerely apologize if you read my post that way. Not my intention at all to say you are wrong.

I honestly wanted to know why, faced with the points I laid out, why you still felt that way.

I’m just always curious as to other people’s methodologies and thoughts.

Ok... I've done some homework. I included only those in the last 10 years or listed in this thread due to time constraints. It was challenging to find all of these players rankings from the same sites since it's been a while, so rankings are listed from whatever site I could find. None of these guys outside of Arinze was rated as low as Majur Majak (#305). Two of the players were five star guys, all but Arinze was in the top 170, and still only half of these guys made meaningful contributions on the court for SU.

Rick Jackson was ranked the 97th best recruit and 10th best center in his class. He became a very good center.
Arinze Onuaku was a 2 star prospect and considered the 13th best center prospect. He became a very good center.
Sean Williams was ranked 104th, 3 stars and did nothing.
DaShonte Riley was a 7.0' center ranked 57th best recruit and 9th best center by scout. He transferred.
Chinoso Oboko was rated the 17oth best recruit on 2 4 7, and the 19th best center. He was a bust and transferred.
Baye M-K was rated the 121st best recruit on 2 4 7. He eventually became a successful back up center.
Rakeem Christmas was rated the 20th best recruit and was considered a 5 star player. He didn't blossom until his SR year.
Dajaun Coleman - was a 5 star local kid that never had a chance with his knee injuries.
Fab Melo was a 5 star, 14th best recruit and #1 center. He averaged approximately 8ppg, 6rpg and 3bpg as a sophomore and left early and did nothing in the NBA before his tragic death. He did nothing in his freshman year.

Considering Majur Majak hovers outside the top 300, even a statistician will tell you the odds are stacked against any kind of meaningful contribution. Factor in the eyeball test, lack of experience and rail thin frame, and I really don't think I'm off base in my opinion that he is not worthy of a scholarship. And although I love JB and Syracuse, it's clear that we have wiffed on bigs that were considered less risky and more highly rated than Majak. Obviously, if we land this guy (which I'm fully expecting at this point) I will have no choice but to embrace him. I just don't like the use of this scholarship if it happens as I predict it will.

Side note: I looked for Etan Thomas and Rony Seikaly's ranking and number of stars but could not find it. If anyone can that would be cool.

Last edited:
I sincerely apologize if you read my post that way. Not my intention at all to say you are wrong.

I honestly wanted to know why, faced with the points I laid out, why you still felt that way.

I’m just always curious as to other people’s methodologies and thoughts.

Thank you. I did some research and posted it right before this response to you. Maybe that will help you understand my thought process.

Ok... I've done some homework. I included only those in the last 10 years or listed in this thread due to time constraints. It was challenging to find all of these players rankings from the same sites since it's been a while, so rankings are listed from whatever site I could find. None of these guys outside of Arinze was rated as low as Majur Majak (#305). Two of the players were five star guys, all but Arinze was in the top 170, and still only half of these guys made meaningful contributions on the court for SU.

Rick Jackson was ranked the 97th best recruit and 10th best center in his class. He became a very good center.
Arinze Onuaku was a 2 star prospect and considered the 13th best center prospect. He became a very good center.
DaShonte Riley was a 7.0' center ranked 57th best recruit and 9th best center by scout. He transferred.
Chinoso Oboko was rated the 17oth best recruit on 2 4 7, and the 19th best center. He was a bust and transferred.
Baye M-K was rated the 121st best recruit on 2 4 7. He eventually became a successful back up center.
Rakeem Christmas was rated the 20th best recruit and was considered a 5 star player. He didn't blossom until his SR year.
Dajaun Coleman - was a 5 star local kid that never had a chance with his knee injuries.
Fab Melo was a 5 star, 14th best recruit and #1 center. He averaged approximately 8ppg, 6rpg and 3bpg as a sophomore and left early and did nothing in the NBA before his tragic death. He did nothing in his freshman year.

Considering Majur Majak hovers outside the top 300, even a statistician will tell you the odds are stacked against any kind of meaningful contribution. Factor in the eyeball test, lack of experience and rail thin frame, and I really don't think I'm off base in my opinion that he is not worthy of a scholarship. And although I love JB and Syracuse, it's clear that we have wiffed on bigs that were considered less risky and more highly rated than Majak. Obviously, if we land this guy (which I'm fully expecting at this point) I will have no choice but to embrace him. I just don't like the use of this scholarship if it happens as I predict it will.

Side note: I looked for Etan Thomas and Rony Seikaly's ranking and number of stars but could not find it. If anyone can that would be cool.
Seikaly won't have one.

Good work here. Fair takes, IMO. I don’t see why people should be scolding or giving you trouble. That being said, objective thinking without the orange goggles often gets ridiculed and tarred & feathered.

Etan (Derrick) Thomas I believe was a 4* Top 50 guy coming out of Booker T Washington H.S. in Tulsa.

Good work here. Fair takes, IMO. I don’t see why people should be scolding or giving you trouble. That being said, objective thinking without the orange goggles often gets ridiculed and tarred & feathered.

Etan (Derrick) Thomas I believe was a 4* Top 50 guy coming out of Booker T Washington H.S. in Tulsa.

Thank you. It's a shame that view points that challenge the consensus get ridiculed, but it happens. Appreciate the support.

Last edited:
And here's another one that gives a little more insight on the guy. His English is good, and he seems humble and hard working, and a very personable young man. Unfortunately, that's not enough for me... Enjoy:

Nice vid and great story but that is Mabor Majak, not Majur Majak.

He looks more coordinated and skilled than Cat Rescuer (obviously) and Chukwu though, I think.

He looks more coordinated and skilled than Cat Rescuer (obviously) and Chukwu though, I think.

That's certainly possible because Chukwu doesn't offer too much. :)

Thank you. It's a shame that view points that challenge the consensus get ridiculed, but it happens. Appreciate the support.
I just think it's funny how you go on and on, post after post, with such entrenched certainty of exactly what kind of player he'll be in a couple years - hey stick to your guns I guess

I just think it's funny how you go on and on, post after post, with such entrenched certainty of exactly what kind of player he'll be in a couple years - hey stick to your guns I guess

I "go on and on" because I defend myself against people who lack the ability to scroll on by and feel the need to make me see it differently? REALLY?

No way! I just don't get bullied into changing my opinion just because it's not what you or anyone else wants to me to say. If people don't like that I "go on and on" maybe stop quoting my posts as that is what seems to perpetuate the situation. I could make a case that others "go on and on" trying to make me change my view.

Now that I've put together some data to back my stance, this is all you (and others) can say? No comments about the actual data I provided? My opinion wasn't baseless, it is supported by the data.

As for my choice of the word ridicule, perhaps I should've chosen the word bullied instead because no one overtly mocked me. People did try relentlessly to get me to change my view. I'm not going to list those people because it's pretty obvious if one reads the thread, and that would simply stir the pot more.

It would be nice if we could remember that we are all 'Cuse fans and should want the same thing, a successful thriving program that contends year in and out. Just because I don't like Majak at all doesn't mean I am the enemy. Peace

Last edited:
I want to sign this guy, but just for the nicknames. We could go all literary and reference Catch-22 and call him Major Major Major Majak. We could reference game shows and call him Pats Majak. And these are just off the top of my head. Can you imagine what kind of nicknames we could all come up with, especially with a redshirt year to prepare? I'm salivating.