Class of 2018 - C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters

Conrad13

All Conference
Majur Majak, Roselle Catholic, Center (BK)

Syracuse basketball recruiting moves onto 7-1 center Majur Majak from Sudan

This looks like the backup plan for Roberts for 2018. Majak is a 7'1" center who is originally from Sudan. From the syr.com article, he would definitely be a project. I know that SU hasn't had a lot of luck with projects at the center position lately, but I'm a bit nervous about the center position so this player seems worth exploring.

Who knows? This could be a Majur coup for Syracuse. Who doesn't love a good Majak show? (At the very least, he is a headline writer's dream.)

Barely a three star, very raw offensively.

Not knocking him, just reporting those details.

Can't teach length. Only need him to patrol the paint -- block shots and grab boards. We always have enough scoring elsewhere.

Can't teach length. Only need him to patrol the paint -- block shots and grab boards. We always have enough scoring elsewhere.

True.

We couldn't teach Big Sexy, Riley, PC so far - lots of long guys we couldn't teach. :oops:

From the video highlights doesn't seem to bad and might be better than we have currently at starting center.

Sounds like Roberts.

Nah -- I think that Roberts is much more refined offensively, even though he's a late bloomer.

This kid is really, really raw based upon film. Runs fairly well, and he's playing against a good level of HS competition, so it is encouraging to read Waters's article with the quotes from the coach indicating that he's improved immensely from the summer timeframe.

Based on that Syracuse.com video, I say go for it. He's skinny but isn't soft near the basket as he tries to dunk everything. Even has a decent stroke in the few outside shots he took. Could be a force defensively. Plus...he's left handed. :)

Nah -- I think that Roberts is much more refined offensively, even though he's a late bloomer.

This kid is really, really raw based upon film. Runs fairly well, and he's playing against a good level of HS competition, so it is encouraging to read Waters's article with the quotes from the coach indicating that he's improved immensely from the summer timeframe.
I liked the quote "he blocks everything"

He looks like a duplicate of Chukwu... Bean pole legs. Will get pushed around. Very limited offense. Doesn't do much for me. Waste of a scholarship IMO.

Last edited:
This kid was not good at all last season offensively. He's a beanpole and he's not skilled. My comparison last year would have been Sean Williams. Maybe he has improved a bit.

I didn't know he moved to The Patrick School this year; I thought he was still at RC. When I saw games with him last year the only thing that stood out was his height and how skinny he was. The *** ranking seems generous. I don't know. The coach says he blocks everything but that may just be a product of his height, although RC played a tough schedule for the most part.

This kid was not good at all last season offensively. He's a beanpole and he's not skilled. My comparison last year would have been Sean Williams. Maybe he has improved a bit.

I didn't know he moved to The Patrick School this year; I thought he was still at RC. When I saw games with him last year the only thing that stood out was his height and how skinny he was. The *** ranking seems generous. I don't know. The coach says he blocks everything but that may just be a product of his height, although RC played a tough schedule for the most part.
I was about to ask you on your thoughts here because I know this is your area of expertise so it seems. I don’t really get the hard press for a 2018 project center when we’re invoked with so many top bigs for 2019. A 2018 project big won’t even be ready until a 2019 top big came along anyways.

From the video highlights doesn't seem to bad and might be better than we have currently at starting center.

He is maybe around PC's level. Not sure either way.

I was about to ask you on your thoughts here because I know this is your area of expertise so it seems. I don’t really get the hard press for a 2018 project center when we’re invoked with so many top bigs for 2019. A 2018 project big won’t even be ready until a 2019 top big came along anyways.

Maybe the staff is thinking PC takes his degree after this year and that would make Sidibe our only Center. Also, the staff knows we have a lot of guards and forwards and they probably don't want to have a vacant scholarship. I have to think there would be better options down the line. If we offer, have to think Majak would jump at it too.

Majak is not Ajak, that's for sure.

Rather focus on 2019 or bring someone in as a GT after we get a good look this year at PC and Sidibe.

Rather focus on 2019 or bring someone in as a GT after we get a good look this year at PC and Sidibe.

I expect Sidibe to be really, really good. It might not fully connect in year one, but he's going to be the surprise of this class. And the pivot will be in solid hands throughout the rest of the time he spends on the hill.

So I'm not worried about having to bring in some stud who can start right way in 2018 or 2019. Get the best players you can, but a shotblocking athlete who is just beginning to scratch the surface isn't a bad gamble to take.

And for the record, I say this being 100% in agreement with Iommi's assessment above. Think he might have better potential than Sean Williams, though [the only point where I disagree slightly], based upon the competition level he's facing.