Class of 2020 - C Noah Waterman (NY) Portal to Louisville | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Noah Waterman (NY) Portal to Louisville

I’d imagine they should get lampy enrolled first before signing this kid.

Does anyone know if we are seriously involved here?

I thought someone said that he had not put his name in the portal.

So, is Cuffe our backup PG? Starling? Player to be named later?
Do you have any eligibility left? Go back to school. Play a little hoops. Become Dr.Tptcuse. Make the family proud.

I thought someone said that he had not put his name in the portal.
Yes he did. I think he’s leaving open a return to BYU though. It’s all in the article from the top of this thread.

Delicate situation I would think. Might want to wait until after Lampkin is enrolled.

Right now if Westry and Naheem are healthy we have 10 guys who can play. Few coaches are trying an 11 man rotation. To me if you bring a kid like this in you are expecting you won’t have one or maybe even both of those guys this year. Otherwise he is recruiting over someone.

We may not like it but Calipari wasn’t wrong in his comments around roster size as it pertains to retaining guys.

Right now if Westry and Naheem are healthy we have 10 guys who can play. Few coaches are trying an 11 man rotation. To me if you bring a kid like this in you are expecting you won’t have one or maybe even both of those guys this year. Otherwise he is recruiting over someone.

We may not like it but Calipari wasn’t wrong in his comments around roster size as it pertains to retaining guys.
My joke about a Syracuse athlete on a peg leg may come true with McLeod.

Our 5 minutes are projecting as shaky potatoes as of right now.

Even having Patterson back in the fold would make me feel a lot better.

Or Waterman, who already showed he can improve a ton.

Or Lampkin giving some public affirmation of his commitment.

Or a news report that McLeod has been given a titanium leg.

autry knows about waterman..let's see what happens
This is correct. Coach knows about Waterman and FWIW Coach knows that SU was Waterman's dream school out of high school. Not sure if that is still the case with him but I can assure you Noah would give SU a considerable look and may even take less NIL to play here based on what I know of him, which admittedly is a bit dated since I haven't spoken to Noah in a few years.

My joke about a Syracuse athlete on a peg leg may come true with McLeod.

Our 5 minutes are projecting as shaky potatoes as of right now.

Even having Patterson back in the fold would make me feel a lot better.

Or Waterman, who already showed he can improve a ton.

Or Lampkin giving some public affirmation of his commitment.

Or a news report that McLeod has been given a titanium leg.
Agreed. It's really difficult to feel confident about the center position right now. I'd rather have Patterson over McLeod I think. Maybe it's just because he's a complete unknown with upside.

Agreed. It's really difficult to feel confident about the center position right now. I'd rather have Patterson over McLeod I think. Maybe it's just because he's a complete unknown with upside.
I've just prematurely convinced myself that McLeod's not going to be healthy, as happens to bigs sometimes.

It's not rational. But I do believe it.

This kid averaged 24 minutes a game last year. I think we can get him that here for sure. Some at the 5. How many minutes can Lampkin play? And some at the 4.
McCloud will play 15

Yes he did. I think he’s leaving open a return to BYU though. It’s all in the article from the top of this thread.
Does he have a religious affiliation

So if we started last season with 9 guys, then lost Westry and McLeod, we’d be playing the rest of the season with 7 and walk ons? What happens if a guy say sprains an ankle and misses a couple games? Or a couple guys get in foul trouble. I know most coaches only play 8-9, but only having 8-9 is really tempting fate imo/

if we did get Waterman and retain Lampkin, this wiill be our best front court In a long time.

I could see situations where the 3/4/5 is Davis/Donnie/Waterman. Lampkin, Waterman and McLeod all have different skill sets. That is a nice rotation If Red can figure out the subs.

I’d never thought I’d be complaining about the backcourt depth as opposed to the front court depth with Red. But I REALLY like the potential at the 4/5 spots if we get him.
Other than being tall, Waterman doesn't play like a center at all. I think his competition for minutes would be the forwards, and maybe even the guards. Could a lineup of Lampkin/McLeod, Freeman, Bell, Waterman and Carlos/Westry survive? They would have great size, good shooting and decent handle...

Waterman had some very impressive highlights last season. Handling the ball, shooting and rebounding.

With his apparent talent, I wonder why he only averaged 9 and 5 in 24 mpg.

He had some amazing games and he had some absolute zeros... I'd have to watch film to figure out why, and I'm not doing it until we get a commitment :)

On the surface, he's exactly the kind of player we need to finish the team. Especially IthacaMatt will be excited to get him.

Other than being tall, Waterman doesn't play like a center at all. I think his competition for minutes would be the forwards, and maybe even the guards. Could a lineup of Lampkin/McLeod, Freeman, Bell, Waterman and Carlos/Westry survive? They would have great size, good shooting and decent handle...

Waterman had some very impressive highlights last season. Handling the ball, shooting and rebounding.

With his apparent talent, I wonder why he only averaged 9 and 5 in 24 mpg.

He had some amazing games and he had some absolute zeros... I'd have to watch film to figure out why, and I'm not doing it until we get a commitment :)

On the surface, he's exactly the kind of player we need to finish the team. Especially IthacaMatt will be excited to get him.
Seems like that lineup would lack ball handling and shot creation. I’m not sold on either Waterman or Bell as a guard. And not sure Westry isn’t better suited as a 3 than a point.

I think Calipari was an idiot in his theory. It tends of either him trying to be the smartest man in the room, or ex ante excuse making. We saw last year how ephemeral depth can be when you have a full roster.

Now imagine you are a top coach choosing to go with no depth? If he actually starts with a roster of 9 guys and walk-ons, he is already 1 injury away from having nobody to fill in if he had foul trouble, he's two injuries from an iron man rotation. If he has what we had last year, he's Gene Hackmann "My team is on the floor!" With only walkons if somebody else gets hurt or fouls out.

Sounds to me like Calipari didn't get who he wanted and he's trying to play it like it's a strength to have insufficient roster depth.

After they're all injured, and his team stinks, he can blame injuries and still have a boatload of NIL money next season. If he actually had a full roster of expensive guys (like at Kentucky) everybody might finally start to realize how much he stinks as a coach. Then the money starts to dry up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom