Class of 2018 - C/OG Tyrone Sampson Portal from Fresno St | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C/OG Tyrone Sampson Portal from Fresno St

giphy.gif

I wasn't knocking Babers. I love what it appears we are doing. I just didn't see Allen as a 4 star anywhere. Just below a 4 star I believe means 3 star.

Allen at one point was a 4 star, I believe, at every site. It appears along the way he was down graded. I even saw him at one site listed with an offer from Alabama.

If this kid reads their forums he won't go there aways. They are ripping him all over the place and belittling him big time.

That only means they're butt hurt. No hoop recruit gets ripped here if we don't want him. The only kids that get ripped are the kids ya want.

Great, great get. Nice work from the staff.

As to the why no UM or MSU offers...my guess is it has to do with measurables and need.

Sampson is 6'2"...not the 6'5" a lot of teams default to these days. Think of Dajuan Blair for hoops. No way Syracuse takes a 6'5" power forward even though the guy can ball.

Secondly, I believe Michigan doesn't have a ton of room this cycle. They have signed a TON of kids since Harbaugh got there. They signed one of the best centers in the country last year.

Circumstances helped us. You need those breaks sometimes.

As to the why no UM or MSU offers...my guess is it has to do with measurables and need.

Sampson is 6'2"...not the 6'5" a lot of teams default to these days. Think of Dajuan Blair for hoops. No way Syracuse takes a 6'5" power forward even though the guy can ball.

Secondly, I believe Michigan doesn't have a ton of room this cycle. They have signed a TON of kids since Harbaugh got there. They signed one of the best centers in the country last year.

Wait, what was Paul Harris? OK, maybe a 6'3" power forward...

Seriously though, is there any real reason to have a 6'5" center? If there's one line position where it would seem a more squat profile would be advantageous, I'd think it would be center.

Seriously though, is there any real reason to have a 6'5" center? If there's one line position where it would seem a more squat profile would be advantageous, I'd think it would be center.
At 6'-3" he has been not just doing good at these last two Openings, he has "dominated" both of them , so we are getting one heck of a football player.

At 6'-3" he has been not just doing good at these last two Openings, he has "dominated" both of them , so we are getting one heck of a football player.

I hear you. And maybe it's partly because I'm old enough to remember the Jim Ringo types who used to play the position, but it's hard for me to think of a 6'3" center as short.

Dear Santa: I would now like a 5 * running back.

Me too, but rbs can develop from 3 stars. Would love a 5* LT, DE, WR instead. Great get today with this kid.

And Dwight Freeney was a 6'2" defensive and in an age where everyone says you need to be 6'6"

Agree , totally. This kid reminds me of a friend of mine, from my hometown, Amsterdam, ny. Josh Beekman, a kid with the same measureables, from Amsterdam hs, PP recruited him but he opted for BC. Had a great career and drafted by the bears, played 5 years or so in the league. This kid reminds me alot of josh and thats a great thing.

From the qbs view, the line should look like a U. lineman getting taller and longer going from the center out to the tackles. Gives a throwing pocket.

Anyone know if this kids a leader? Could use an AJ Long social media presence from him. He's a big deal, could draw other big time recruits.

It is a long way until signing day, but this is EXACTLY the type of OL that we need to turn what is generally a positional liability into a position of strength. Great to see. Hats off to Babers and the staff.

Yeah, football recruiting is almost pointless to pay attention to until like January but even if the disappointing occurs, there are still some really good things about this news:

1. You get a kid who has a ton of options to jump on board early. Adds a bunch of legitimacy to the message Dino and co. are putting out there.

2. You land a good lineman. I have to figure that this offense is going to be an easy sell to skill position guys. I also feel like skill position guys are easier to find in the 2- and 3-star range. You aren't going to find many Julio Joneses in that area, but guys like Erv Phillips can do damage and you can find them outside the top 300 or whatever. So finding good lineman and good QBs is key and we seem to have found some.

3. Recruiting appears to be a strength ... period. We've had a ton of recruiting obstacles since the P era that probably are unfair to lay at the feet of the coaches. But this is a staff that seems resourceful (see all the transfers), personable and absolutely intent on changing the profile of the kids we're signing.

One recruit who hasn't even signed doesn't cure all ills, but you have to be excited about the direction of this program right now.