Class of 2016 - C Omer Yurtseven (Turkey) Transfer from NC State to Georgetown | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 C Omer Yurtseven (Turkey) Transfer from NC State to Georgetown

Kansas is a whole different animal though. If this kid committed to Kansas, he'd get cleared, if he committed to Duke, the NCAA would give him 6 years of eligibility. Syracuse? Crap shoot in the extreme.

Yeah, I saw this response coming a mile away.

Are we certain May 18 is the last day a player can sign to get a '16 schollie?

That would be untrue. Players can receive a scholarship all the way up until classes begin

That would be untrue. Players can receive a scholarship all the way up until classes begin

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/

Not sure what "final signing day" means specifically. I didn't say that it was the last day they could get a scholarship, just that 5/18 is explicitly listed as the final day for D1 hoops to sign.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/

Not sure what "final signing day" means specifically. I didn't say that it was the last day they could get a scholarship, just that 5/18 is explicitly listed as the final day for D1 hoops to sign.
ok, that must be the last date by which an LOI can be signed... I was just looking at the NCAA dates (shocker - what they have published is confusing and seemingly contradictory) and couldn't find anything special about May 18

turkish-delight.png

Supposedly he played, but was not paid. The Turkish club said that they set up an account for him and paid into it, but Omer says that he has not withdrawn any funds from that account. From what, admittedly little, that I've read, it seems to be a not uncommon tactic for euro clubs to hold onto their young players and keep them from going to the US to college ball.
Seems like the arrangement he had does just the opposite; it allows him to go to a US college. Pay goes to a trust fund. Eligibility hinges on whether he could have tapped the funds.

Last edited:
Kansas is a whole different animal though. If this kid committed to Kansas, he'd get cleared, if he committed to Duke, the NCAA would give him 6 years of eligibility. Syracuse? Crap shoot in the extreme.

...And FWIW, Cheik Diallo had to sit out a bit this year because of eligibility concernes.

Though if he played for us he's probably be tarred, feathered, and sent on a boat back to Mali

...And FWIW, Cheik Diallo had to sit out a bit this year because of eligibility concernes.

Though if he played for us he's probably be tarred, feathered, and sent on a boat back to Mali

Right. He played second semester while Diagne was rotting away in a Florida prison camp. Err... Jr College.

Supposedly he played, but was not paid. The Turkish club said that they set up an account for him and paid into it, but Omer says that he has not withdrawn any funds from that account. From what, admittedly little, that I've read, it seems to be a not uncommon tactic for euro clubs to hold onto their young players and keep them from going to the US to college ball.

So this sounds ridiculous, frankly. If you have your paycheck direct deposited to your checking account, but you never write any checks, it doesn't mean you aren't paid!

I can see how if the club just opened an account and said it was for you, but you didn't have a contract.

I'm just repeating what I've read. Apparently they can pay living expenses to a certain point. But none of the NCAA stuff makes logical sense. :noidea:

So this sounds ridiculous, frankly. If you have your paycheck direct deposited to your checking account, but you never write any checks, it doesn't mean you aren't paid!
Different ball game if he is not allowed to tap the trust until a certain age. Our compliance officer probably has a copy of the trust fund papers.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine is an avid follower/scout of the European leagues. Asked him for a brief overview on Yurt7.

*BWB is NBA's Basketball Without Borders camp

Fenerbahce's coach alleged that the club had been paying Yurtseven for the past three years, according to a report on DraftExpress.com.

Yurtseven denied the accusations.

Fraschilla noted that the situation is similar to that of Enes Kanter, another Turkish big man who the NCAA ruled ineligible to play at Kentucky. Kanter is now with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"The team he's leaving will complain that he's a pro because they don't want him to go to the United States,'' Fraschilla said. "It might not be an issue, but will the club try to muddy the waters?''

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...n_scouts_weigh_in_on_the_turkish_7-foote.html

I dont think were late if its true that he showed up here randomly as reported. Means there was interest on his side.
Yeah that's what I get out of it. Cuse is late in that they haven't been scouting him since Feb/Mar when everyone else was. Him showing up out of the blue, if accurate, is probably the most fascinating thing about this. I wonder if he has a girlfriend that was accepted to SU.

Do we have anyone in the know with any insight into this situation? Usually by page 9 there was an insider saying things are look good, or bad but it seems like there is nothing of any substance yet other than the kid popping in out of the blue one day (which is certainly not a bad thing). Anyone know what the Syracuse camp is feeling their chances are on this kid?

I can see how if the club just opened an account and said it was for you, but you didn't have a contract.

I'm just repeating what I've read. Apparently they can pay living expenses to a certain point. But none of the NCAA stuff makes logical sense. :noidea:

Understand, and please don't think I'm saying you are ridiculous, just the concept.

Do we have anyone in the know with any insight into this situation? Usually by page 9 there was an insider saying things are look good, or bad but it seems like there is nothing of any substance yet other than the kid popping in out of the blue one day (which is certainly not a bad thing). Anyone know what the Syracuse camp is feeling their chances are on this kid?

I'm trying to piece together what I have read and seen here. The picture seems to be that his status as amateur is extremely borderline. Further, it appears that the team he played for in Europe will actively try to foil his NCAA eligibility. It sounds like they have been successful before in doing this (with Kanter who came from the same club team). and it sounds like their coach, who is one of the top people in Europe, is not above threatening and/or sabotage to prevent him from being eligible.

So why aren't a lot of schools all over him? Reference the above. Viewed in that light, think of this kid as a loooong shot to ever suit up for us, even if he accepts the ship.

Remember: these are just my opinions from information I have seen in things linked to this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom