Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example, Arinze was an outlier but was in the 200/300 range if I recall correctly.

If he has the tools and athleticism which it appears he does so far, NEPSAC should only help him get better even if it's an adjustment at first.

Yep. There’s some saying he’s not good just because he isn’t ranked, but there were some good nuggets from an ESPN scout above.

I don’t actually think anyone knows how good he is because he hasn’t played elite competition until this summer so he hasn’t been scouted 3-4 years like most prospects.

No use debating this now because we will find out how he produces over the winter.

I hope that he develops into a player at SU but the fact that he's not even rated in the top 250 and no other major offers should give reason for pause
Don't base your opinion on rankings. Ever. He just came on to the stage this year and didn't play at Peach Jam. Otherwise he's easily a top 150ish player. But again rankings don't matter

Has he been evaluated by the "experts"? I don't believe he has. So, being outside the top 200 means nothing.

he has not. That’s why he has zero stars. He hasn’t been on the scene to be seen. His school didn’t even play last year I don’t believe. And he didn’t go to any of the major aau tournaments.

he has not. That’s why he has zero stars. He hasn’t been on the scene to be seen. His school didn’t even play last year I don’t believe. And he didn’t go to any of the major aau tournaments.
Thank you, that's what I thought. I think it is huge that we got in and got this done before he gets evaluated, because he is going to be a 4 star, in my opinion.

Thank you, that's what I thought. I think it is huge that we got in and got this done before he gets evaluated, because he is going to be a 4 star, in my opinion.

Athletic 6-10 guys who are coordinated and already have a good feel for how to use their size on both ends of the court don't grow on trees.

Very well could end up as a 4 star, based upon the athletic / physical attributes alone. Glad he's playing in the NEPSAC, because that will really help accelerate his readiness when he gets on campus next year.

Athletic 6-10 guys who are coordinated and already have a good feel for how to use their size on both ends of the court don't grow on trees.

Very well could end up as a 4 star, based upon the athletic / physical attributes alone. Glad he's playing in the NEPSAC, because that will really help accelerate his readiness when he gets on campus next year.
Absolutely agree. I can't wait to see his development over the next year.

When I see Careys height and weight I think of Bill Smith ,he was good around the basket with no outside 5’ shot including free throws. Was a very good S.U. Player.

Scouts described Rony as "live legs" meaning that he was very quick off his feet, which is especially important if there are two jumps in quick succession. He had hops. and was an athletic freak able to play center well while being on the small side compared to other NBA centers.
6'11, 230 wasn't so small for a center when he was playing. Ewing was 7'0 and 240. He did OK

You must be kidding. Rony was super athletic. He played in the NBA for more than a decade.
I watched RS in his first exhibition game in Rochester his freshmen year. And I'm well aware of his NBA credentials because he's one of my all time favorite SU players. I wasn't, in any way, attempting to diminish Rony's abilities or credentials. So you can tone down your usual condescending, know-it all BS.

Don't base your opinion on rankings. Ever. He just came on to the stage this year and didn't play at Peach Jam. Otherwise he's easily a top 150ish player. But again rankings don't matter
Based on the limited clips we have seen, I think it's pretty obvious just how good Carey is already. I also think that he has the potential to be a major contributor early in his career at SU. His ability jumps off the page to my eye. I fully agree, you don't need ratings to tell you that.

Leaving Carey's situation aside, ratings/rankings do matter if you understand the concept of correlation, predictive validity, and the power of large numbers. The correlation between class rankings and winning has been proven in research studies. But, correlation does not equal causation. One of the common misconceptions on this board is thinking that pointing out the exceptions to the correlation disproves the correlation. It does not. So, pointing out that individual player X far exceeded or underperformed their "meaningless" ranking does not mean that rankings are not important.

My apologies for rambling on - it was not aimed at you specifically. I think your insights have added a lot to the conversations here.

I hope that he develops into a player at SU but the fact that he's not even rated in the top 250 and no other major offers should give reason for pause
Agreed. I think it’s fine to welcome him into the family, hope for the best, and also suggest we also brought in Devin McBride, so it doesn’t always work out.

Based on the limited clips we have seen, I think it's pretty obvious just how good Carey is already. I also think that he has the potential to be a major contributor early in his career at SU. His ability jumps off the page to my eye. I fully agree, you don't need ratings to tell you that.

Leaving Carey's situation aside, ratings/rankings do matter if you understand the concept of correlation, predictive validity, and the power of large numbers. The correlation between class rankings and winning has been proven in research studies. But, correlation does not equal causation. One of the common misconceptions on this board is thinking that pointing out the exceptions to the correlation disproves the correlation. It does not. So, pointing out that individual player X far exceeded or underperformed their "meaningless" ranking does not mean that rankings are not important.

My apologies for rambling on - it was not aimed at you specifically. I think your insights have added a lot to the conversations here.
True. You present the baseline universe from which all other projections/speculations/extrapolations issue.
Sorry to sound so pedantic, but I often forget the basics walking around in my glorious Orange Fog (it’s kinda like a Mel Torme thing)

True. You present the baseline universe from which all other projections/speculations/extrapolations issue.
Sorry to sound so pedantic, but I often forget the basics walking around in my glorious Orange Fog (it’s kinda like a Mel Torme thing)
Um...you're welcome? OrangeFog aint so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom