Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah there is nothing about this kid that at all feels like flip. This kid might be listed as a PF but his game is much more an athletic 5 than a 4.

I’m seeing a little bit of a skinny Rony here.

Runs like a deer, aggressive, dunks everything, and…. that’s about it.
So far.

I’d take a Rony2.0 144% of the time, and twice on Sunday.

Yeah there is nothing about this kid that at all feels like flip. This kid might be listed as a PF but his game is much more an athletic 5 than a 4.

People get too hung up on positions. Flip would have been a 5 here. The only thing that would have changed that is if he and Clingan BOTH came here, which would move Flip over.

With Clingan out, our eggs were all in on Flip as the big in the class. Sure, we're in the top 3, so there's a chance.

But you need to read between the lines with recruiting, and now we're seeing additional offers go out to other bigs. So...

People get too hung up on positions. Flip would have been a 5 here. The only thing that would have changed that is if he and Clingan BOTH came here, which would move Flip over.

With Clingan out, our eggs were all in on Flip as the big in the class. Sure, we're in the top 3, so there's a chance.

But you need to read between the lines with recruiting, and now we're seeing additional offers go out to other bigs. So...

If Flip thought for a second he was going to be a 5 here, he wouldn’t have given us a second thought.

If Flip thought for a second he was going to be a 5 here, he wouldn’t have given us a second thought.

Same with Lydon.

And we also told Lands that he'd play guard here. And Bunch that we weren't recruiting anybody else at his position. Etc.

Coaches tell recruits what needs to be said to get their signature. If Flip was the only big man we brought in, there is a 100% chance that he'd play at least some 5.

The way the class is shaping up, we're loading up on wings [and maybe more are on the way with Bunch / Anglin still out there, on top of JJ]. Probably only room for one big this class. So, if it isn't Flip, this guy would be his "replacement" as the lone big we'd bring in. That doesn't imply that their skill sets are like-for-like, or mean that one isn't more of a traditional 5 and the other more of a traditional 4.

Same with Lydon.

And we also told Lands that he'd play guard here. And Bunch that we weren't recruiting anybody else at his position. Etc.

Coaches tell recruits what needs to be said to get their signature. If Flip was the only big man we brought in, there is a 100% chance that he'd play at least some 5.

The way the class is shaping up, we're loading up on wings [and maybe more are on the way with Bunch / Anglin still out there, on top of JJ]. Probably only room for one big this class. So, if it isn't Flip, this guy would be his "replacement" as the lone big we'd bring in. That doesn't imply that their skill sets are like-for-like, or mean that one isn't more of a traditional 5 and the other more of a traditional 4.

we didn’t recruit Lydon as a 5. And having to play the 5 due to circumstances is not the same as being a 5 nor being recruited as a 5.

Same with Lydon.

Kevin Durant plays the five now at times he's arguably the greatest scorer of all time in terms of ability. Giannis plays the five. Arguably the most explosive lineup of all time had Draymond Green at the 5. Time Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time, but yet he played Center almost the same amount as he played the 4 in his career, if not more. AD never wants to play the 5, but does so when it matters.

Anyone that is a skilled big that wants to play in the NBA better be willing to show that he can slide to the five. And as much as Flip is skilled, he's sure as heck not as good as any of the guys I just named above.

Carey/Flip/whatever big, if they aren't willing the play the five here in a zone, guess they better enjoy limiting their potential NBA stock.

we didn’t recruit Lydon as a 5. And having to play the 5 due to circumstances is not the same as being a 5 nor being recruited as a 5.

We didn't recruit Coleman to be a 5 either, but he played there a lot backing up Seikaly, and even started at the 5 for an entire year.

We didn't recruit McCullough to be a 5, but he was Rak's main backup at the 5 before he got injured.

JB has always liked having 4's slide into the pivot, we've only gotten away from that recently with first Brisset and then Guerrier not really being suited for that.

I don't dispute -- at all -- that Flip is versatile as hell, and best suited for the 4. But if he comes here, he's playing some 5... and maybe more than "some," because as you point out -- circumstances are unpredictable.

Which is besides the main point I made above -- that we're probably only bringing in one big for this class, and it could be telling if other guys are now getting offers.

Kevin Durant plays the five now at times he's arguably the greatest scorer of all time in terms of ability. Giannis plays the five. Arguably the most explosive lineup of all time had Draymond Green at the 5. Time Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time, but yet he played Center almost the same amount as he played the 4 in his career, if not more. AD never wants to play the 5, but does so when it matters.

Anyone that is a skilled big that wants to play in the NBA better be willing to show that he can slide to the five. And as much as Flip is skilled, he's sure as heck not as good as any of the guys I just named above.

Carey/Flip/whatever big, if they aren't willing the play the five here in a zone, guess they better enjoy limiting their potential NBA stock.

Spot on.

We didn't recruit Coleman to be a 5 either, but he played there a lot backing up Seikaly, and even started at the 5 for an entire year.

We didn't recruit McCullough to be a 5, but he was Rak's main backup at the 5 before he got injured.

JB has always liked having 4's slide into the pivot, we've only gotten away from that recently with first Brisset and then Guerrier not really being suited for that.

I don't dispute -- at all -- that Flip is versatile as hell, and best suited for the 4. But if he comes here, he's playing some 5... and maybe more than "some," because as you point out -- circumstances are unpredictable.

Which is besides the main point I made above -- that we're probably only bringing in one big for this class, and it could be telling if other guys are now getting offers.

tou keep naming players that played some 5. And even said Flip is best suited for the 4 but would play some 5. What I responded to was you saying Flip would be a 5 here. He would be a 4. And that’s what we’re recruiting him for. Does that mean he’s never slide over for whatever reason? Nope.

not at all my point.

tou keep naming players that played some 5. And even said Flip is best suited for the 4 but would play some 5. What I responded to was you saying Flip would be a 5 here. He would be a 4. And that’s what we’re recruiting him for. Does that mean he’s never slide over for whatever reason? Nope.
No, I'm naming them to show the logical fallacy in your assertion that he wouldn't come here if he has to play five -- because: history. And also because in the modern era of positionless basketball, versatile guys shifting to the five is the trend at all levels.

IF Flip comes here, and is the lone big in the class, he's going to see a lot of time at 5. The game isn't played like it was 25 years ago, where guys primarily played one position only. Hence, why I also stated that people get to hung up on positions.

Last edited:
No, I'm naming them to show the logical fallacy in your assertion that he wouldn't come here if he has to play five. At Syracuse, most power forwards end up playing the five, and some a lot more than others.

IF Flip comes here, and is the lone big in the class, he's going to see a lot of time at 5.

I think it's fair to make this point just as much as it is that recruiting Carey is not an immediate red flag on Flip. I mean is it possible ? Sure. They are different players though even if they both are HS PFs who likely could see time at the 5.

I think it's fair to make this point just as much as it is that recruiting Carey is not an immediate red flag on Flip. I mean is it possible ? Sure. They are different players though even if they both are HS PFs who likely could see time at the 5.

I think red flag is reading too much into my original post in this thread. There's clearly a pecking order, and the staff would take flip in a heartbeat. But right now, it looks like we're only going to get one big, if we're starting to extend other offers, there's some underlying information there that can be read between the lines, suggesting that the staff is starting to cast the nets a little wider.

I don't dismiss that we're in solid position for flip. I'm very encouraged that we seem to be in his top three. But he's also blowing up, and getting blue chip offers, and we traditionally haven't fared well in those type of recruitments. Would love to be wrong, and will gladly acknowledge it if it turns out that flip comes here. But I think that there's some data in the staff suddenly showing interest in other big men, including Carey and Christ.

When you pay attention to recruiting long enough, you start to recognize signs. I have no direct inside information on what the Fillipowski family is deliberating, I'm just pointing out that this is an interesting development. And one that could be a sign of how things might unfold for SU. It doesn't make my observation or my OP a criticism of the staff. They've done a great job identifying this kid, making inroads with him and his family, and pulled out all the stops. If they don't land him, it's more indicative of Fillipowski having a tremendous set of options, any shortcoming on the coaching staffs part.

Last edited:
I think red flag is reading too much into my original post in this thread. There's clearly a pecking order, and the staff would take flip in a heartbeat. But right now, it looks like we're only going to get one big, if we're starting to extend other offers, there's some underlying information there that can be read between the lines, suggesting that the staff is starting to cast the nets a little wider.

I don't dismiss that we're in solid position for flip. I'm very encouraged that we seem to be in his top three. But he's also blowing up, and getting blue chip offers, and we traditionally haven't fared well in those type of recruitments. Would love to be wrong, and will gladly acknowledge it if it turns out that flip comes here. But I think that there's some data in the staff suddenly showing interest in other big men, including Carrey and Christ.

When you pay attention to recruiting long enough, you start to recognize signs. I have no direct inside information on what the Fillipowski family is deliberating, I'm just pointing out that this is an interesting development. And one that could be a sign of how things might unfold for SU. It doesn't make my observation and the OP a criticism of the staff. Dated a great job identifying this kid, making inroads with him and his family, and pulled out all the stops. If they don't land him, it's more indicative of Fillipowski having a tremendous set of options, any shortcoming on the coaching staffs part.
Are you purposely ignoring the fact that it could be about Clingan?

I don't dismiss that we're in solid position for flip. I'm very encouraged that we seem to be in his top three. But he's also blowing up, and getting blue chip offers, and we traditionally haven't fared well in those type of recruitments. Would love to be wrong, and will gladly acknowledge it if it turns out that flip comes here. But I think that there's some data in the staff suddenly showing interest in other big men, including Carrey and Christ.

When you pay attention to recruiting long enough, you start to recognize signs. I have no direct inside information on what the Fillipowski family is deliberating, I'm just pointing out that this is an interesting development. And one that could be a sign of how things might unfold for SU.

I hear you and I'm definitely not reading too much into it. My biggest worry is Duke and there is chatter around it. Not a novice to following recruiting and I agree it wouldn't be any shock that the Carey offer smells of the possibility the staff aren't super confident about our chances with Flip or at least aren't as confident as they had been before.

I also see that we haven't really done a whole lot while we were recruiting both DC and Flip and now DC is gone and Carey enters the picture.

I'm not reading too far into nor am I dismissing what you are saying. I think right now the world is a bit upside down as the new transfer portal rules along with NIL have us in new territory. It will be interesting to see how trends play out over the next few cycles.

No, I'm naming them to show the logical fallacy in your assertion that he wouldn't come here if he has to play five -- because: history. And also because in the modern era of positionless basketball, versatile guys shifting to the five is the trend at all levels.

IF Flip comes here, and is the lone big in the class, he's going to see a lot of time at 5. The game isn't played like it was 25 years ago, where guys primarily played one position only. Hence, why I also stated that people get to hung up on positions.
If he comes, he may play some 5 but with Edwards and Anselem still here splitting time at the 5, it probably won’t be as much you think. He is being recruited as ”the 4”.

Unless you know something for sure that Edwards and Anselem will not be able to play the 5 as upper classmen should, Kyle will play the 4. If foul trouble or injury occurs in a game with Edwards or Anselem. Kyle will be called into cover the 5 position. He will not be looked at as the primary 5.

If he comes, he may play some 5 but with Edwards and Anselem still here splitting time at the 5, it probably won’t be as much you think. He is being recruited as ”the 4”.

Unless you know something for sure that Edwards and Anselem will not be able to play the 5 as upper classmen should, Kyle will play the 4. If foul trouble or injury occurs in a game with Edwards or Anselem. Kyle will be called into cover the 5 position. He will not be looked at as the primary 5.
Fair. But number one, nobody knows what the roster will look like long-term given the changes to transfer rules.

Number two, it's pretty clear you are vastly overestimating Frank Anselen. Total boom or bust. Literally, either outcome is equally likely at this stage.

If we get the offense we are hoping from Lands, Taylor and (JJ or Copeland ), then adding a guy like this is a great pickup. Great puzzle piece when added to the current/projected mix.

If we get a big man who can:

1) Play defense and block shots
2) Rebound and turn to start a break immediately instead of standing still waiting for a guard
3) Catch the ball and Dunk when given the ball within a step of the basket
4) Foul out every 40 minutes instead of 20

I would be a very happy fan.

Btw, this kid likes like he might be one... I liked his two dribble then diagonal passing after the rebound, even though it was just a drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom