Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So obviously Carey was injured before Peach Jam because he played with the Lightning all last spring, but there's zero stats on him during last years summer circuit.

I watched this. Bearing in mind it was a while ago….

Peter looked very raw. Not good at presenting himself for the ball. Does not use his lower body to screen his defender. Not strong enough to hold someone off down low. Can’t hold position to rebound well. Doesn’t even really appear to want the ball a lot. I think he is the 4th or 5th option on this team. Down the stretch when the game was on the line, he didn’t play at all.

Now his team has a bunch of guards who can’t pass and like to shoot a lot. They run no plays for him.

Most of the time he gets the ball when a guard drives and gets shut down and sees Peter near the basket and just throws it up near him. He usually jumps up, catches it and throws it up at the basket. Usually makes it. He has a really nice shooting touch. Good hand to eye coordination.

Has a couple nice blocks but is block crazy and often gives up position to try and get a block. Got caught jumping too early a number of times. Bad fundamentals just blocking the path of his man to the basket.

But he is quick as hell. He can jump really well.

Wildly inconsistent. Gets fouled at one point. First FT is a complete air ball. Like 3 feet wide right and 2 feet short. What the hell? And then throws up a feathery smooth swish on the second FT.

Really rebounded the ball poorly. I think he only had 1 or 2 rebounds all game long. Needs to block out better, be more forceful and more than anything, he needs to get stronger.

Don’t know when this game was played by I am guessing he played this game at 185 or so. He was at 205 back in January. We probably won’t see him play again until exhibitions in November. Hope he has up to 220 or so then.

High ceiling. Great potential. But given how green he is and how weak, he might be a massive failure too. He really is going to be interesting to see watch develop.
Nobody was more athletic, rawer, and weaker than was the Cat Rescuer.

So obviously Carey was injured before Peach Jam because he played with the Lightning all last spring, but there's zero stats on him during last years summer circuit.
I don’t believe he was on the Lightning’s top team if I remember correctly. This kid is a major project and with all the missed time due to COVID and injuries I don’t see him making an impact for several years. Hope I’m wrong.

I don’t believe he was on the Lightning’s top team if I remember correctly. This kid is a major project and with all the missed time due to COVID and injuries I don’t see him making an impact for several years. Hope I’m wrong.
He played against Team Final in the spring. There’s a video of him going against Taylor.

Reactions: 007
Okay, I'm diving really deep trying to find full game videos of Peter Carey from the past couple years but it's obviously very difficult given his injuries, COVID seasons, etc.

I think this game might feature him (#31 on NY Lightning?) You can see what may be him very clearly at exactly 2:00 in. I'm hoping that's him but tough to say for sure as the video isn't exactly HD and there's no commentary. One thing to keep in mind if you watch this game...they have the score flipped. NY lightning is the black and white team but every time Middlesex scores, they add the points to NY Lightning and vice versa.

I watched a couple of 8-10 minute sections of it. He moves well and can dribble and score but isn’t much of a force on defense or on the boards at this point. He hustles after loose balls.

More bits and pieces of Jamfest it sure looks like Melancers video is the same jamfest( I think) which means probably as good of a scout as you can get. If so, definitely a soph or junior impact guy.

More bits and pieces of Jamfest it sure looks like Melancers video is the same jamfest( I think) which means probably as good of a scout as you can get. If so, definitely a soph or junior impact guy.

I think offensively he can do the things Jesse has been doing and thus might be a good back-up for him. But it will be a while before he can do what Jesse does on defense, which is why we might need Quincy. I had thought that he could even be in the mix at forward but from this he's clearly a center candidate.

I keep thinking of Carey as a project similar to Jesse who won't get starter minutes until he's an upperclassman. That's partially because our bigs are usually projects, he's drawn comparisons to Jesse as far as development (not sure if by staff or fans), he hasn't played much in two years due to covid and injury, and his low ranking (which could be simply because lack of exposure due to injury/covid). However, on the limited tape we have, it seems like he has unicorn potential and could be incredible. He seems like he can pass, shoot and have a touch, run, jump, dunk etc. more than most of our projects, and he just seems graceful, fluid and overall really athletic for a teenage 7-footer. And the tape I've seen is a few years old -- the years between 10th grade and freshman year of college are prime development years. It's usually impossible to gauge a big's readiness based on 3-year-old tape.

Is there a chance he put it all together during the last two years and is ready to go? I'm surprised that the staff isn't freaking out looking for a backup center. Is it possible Carey is more ready than we believe? JB said the class is extremely underrated. Fingers crossed, because if he's not close to being ready for backup minutes and we don't find a backup center, we're one injury or 5 fouls away from another long season.

I keep thinking of Carey as a project similar to Jesse who won't get starter minutes until he's an upperclassman. That's partially because our bigs are usually projects, he's drawn comparisons to Jesse as far as development (not sure if by staff or fans), he hasn't played much in two years due to covid and injury, and his low ranking (which could be simply because lack of exposure due to injury/covid). However, on the limited tape we have, it seems like he has unicorn potential and could be incredible. He seems like he can pass, shoot and have a touch, run, jump, dunk etc. more than most of our projects, and he just seems graceful, fluid and overall really athletic for a teenage 7-footer. And the tape I've seen is a few years old -- the years between 10th grade and freshman year of college are prime development years. It's usually impossible to gauge a big's readiness based on 3-year-old tape.

Is there a chance he put it all together during the last two years and is ready to go? I'm surprised that the staff isn't freaking out looking for a backup center. Is it possible Carey is more ready than we believe? JB said the class is extremely underrated. Fingers crossed, because if he's not close to being ready for backup minutes and we don't find a backup center, we're one injury or 5 fouls away from another long season.
I think he will be ready for a significant role.

I think there's a chance.

It might be a dumb and dumber level chance, but I'll take it.

I have said I think he'll surprise and be an impact guy from day 1.

But I'm also an idiot with a well-documented history of bad judgment, so we'll see.

I think he will be ready for a significant role.
Any player not playing for two years is at least going to be rusty, and need some time. I do think he has the attributes to be a contributer, the big question for me is how soon. I would not expect him to be ready for prime time right out of the box.

Any player not playing for two years is at least going to be rusty, and need some time. I do think he has the attributes to be a contributer, the big question for me is how soon. I would not expect him to be ready for prime time right out of the box.
Except he played last spring and summer in AAU. The 2 years stuff has taken off, but it isn't really accurate.

Except he played last spring and summer in AAU. The 2 years stuff has taken off, but it isn't really accurate.

But JB will note it if people ask why he's not playing better or more. ;)

I think there's a chance.

It might be a dumb and dumber level chance, but I'll take it.

I have said I think he'll surprise and be an impact guy from day 1.

But I'm also an idiot with a well-documented history of bad judgment, so we'll see.

If we want to make the tourney without adding to the roster we are going to need Carey or Brown along with Taylor or Bunch to really step up and surprise. Ideally one more guy too but at minimum without portal help we have to get that.

Well, I hope Carey's ready for backup minutes. I'd love if he could eventually develop a jumper and then play the 4. I sense that's not out of the question. That would make us tough -- offensively and defensively. It would also give him great pro stock in a few years.

If you think AAU prepares players for college ball, and even then he was not a regular. Expect it to take a little time just from rustiness alone, then there is the question of a step up in class, and finally body maturity. Might he play? yes. Will he be ready for a major role? probably no.
I like him, but would not put all that pressure on him on the jump.
Nothing would make me happier than for him to step in and contribute. I just think it will take a little seasoning.

Last edited:
You guys are funny. This kid has almost no objective evidence of being ready to play significant minutes as a freshman.
  • We have some moves versus air.
  • We have some years old video of him.
  • We have some still pictures of him that people think are awesome.
  • We don't have much else, and neither do any of the scouting services.
Of all the freshmen, this kid needs some time to show up and mature before counting on him to do anything.

You guys are funny. This kid has almost no objective evidence of being ready to play significant minutes as a freshman.
Of all the freshmen, this kid needs some time to show up and mature before counting on him to do anything.

His AAU coach has seen him play.

Evaluation: "I think his biggest attribute on the offensive end, and I'm not a genius here because other people that see him play will say the same thing, is his athletic ability and his ability to play above the rim. Finish above the rim. Finish dunks above the rim. Rebound the ball above the rim. Finish it high above the rim. That's his strongest points offensively right now. The way he runs the court, you don't see a lot of 7-1 dudes running the court the way he runs it. I think his biggest strength (defensively), by far, is his timing," Shapiro said. "His timing on blocking shots. I've coached a lot of kids, a lot of D1 kids, I've coached all levels. I've never seen anybody time, the timing especially from the weak side to make the help side block." -- Carey's AAU Coach Jesse Shapiro.

Evaluation: "I think his biggest attribute on the offensive end, and I'm not a genius here because other people that see him play will say the same thing, is his athletic ability and his ability to play above the rim. Finish above the rim. Finish dunks above the rim. Rebound the ball above the rim. Finish it high above the rim. That's his strongest points offensively right now. The way he runs the court, you don't see a lot of 7-1 dudes running the court the way he runs it. I think his biggest strength (defensively), by far, is his timing," Shapiro said. "His timing on blocking shots. I've coached a lot of kids, a lot of D1 kids, I've coached all levels. I've never seen anybody time, the timing especially from the weak side to make the help side block." -- Carey's AAU Coach Jesse Shapiro.
Well, I guess that's an objective opinion - even if it is by the kid's coach.

Well, this is kind of a Schrödinger's Cat paradox, isn’t it? What have YOU seen that says he ISN’T capable?

I’m not saying he’s doing anything this year, but it’s not years old. He played last year against Taylor’s AAU team.

Uh, well - I can tell you from personal experience, it is super damn hard to finish dunks below the rim.

So, I guess he’s got that going for him.
Which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors