Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

Does Alan Griffin have any more eligibility?
In all seriousness, if Edwards goes down, it doesn't more who our backup center is, we're going to be bad. We're not bringing in a good enough guy there to be good for 30 minutes. That's why a good, experienced forward is more important IMO.
Again, what do you think will happen when Carey/Brown (the only 2 realistic possible backup centers on the roster) play the center spot? There will be an absolute void in the middle of our defense. We won't be able to stop anyone. It won't matter how many points our portal forward (a dice-roll itself) might score.

It doesn't have to be a binary choice (even though we have only 1 ship available). Why not recruit a 6-9 guy in the T. Lydon mold that can shoot and is big enough to slide over in a pinch. Carey is reputably a good defender, but you make a point (especially coming off injury) that he's a risk as a backup 5. Unfortunately the other forward slot (opposite Benny) is even more critical. So the only realistic solution is to try to get someone who can check both boxes. Bees has a point that we need an established scorer (one year guy).
Yes, ideally, if we truly have just one scholarship to give it would be to a stretch-4 type who could offer scoring (incl 3-pt) and ability to back up the 5 spot. But the pool of legit xfer guys who could offer both is quite small.
Hopefully once the dust clears there will be 2 schollies to use - one for a back-up C and one for a proven scoring forward. But as long as there's just 1 to use, and the choice is a scoring forward OR a back-up C, I cannot be convinced back-up C is not the biggest concern.

Q B may not want to play just 10-15 minutes a game but its way more than he got at FSU. Replacing Frank would require some rebounds, putbacks and a few blocks seems doable.

Did I just hear Brent Axe say Ballard is better than Frank A? Im not sure and maybe he misspoke but I think thats what he said

Don’t love it but perhaps the least shocking news of my life time. Lazy by the staff to put it mildly

How is this lazy? Not sure what that means in this context.

A prior connection with size and athleticism to come in and act basically as a practice player/spot back-up for our 30+ minute starter. How many 7 foot transfers are out there willing to sign up for that role in this day and age? Who was the competition for the spot that we haven't vetted?

Q B may not want to play just 10-15 minutes a game but its way more than he got at FSU. Replacing Frank would require some rebounds, putbacks and a few blocks seems doable.
He's got six months to learn his role. Hope he is a hard worker and quick learner.

I’d like to see SU bring in Ballard and Mballa. That moves Benny to the other F spot with Taylor, Bunch and Brown as wing shooters.

I’d like to see SU bring in Ballard and Mballa. That moves Benny to the other F spot with Taylor, Bunch and Brown as wing shooters.

Mballa is a nice player but that puts two paint guys together with he and Jesse and then Benny who isn't yet a perimeter threat.

Again, what do you think will happen when Carey/Brown (the only 2 realistic possible backup centers on the roster) play the center spot? There will be an absolute void in the middle of our defense. We won't be able to stop anyone. It won't matter how many points our portal forward (a dice-roll itself) might score.
I'd much rather have both, but if I had to choose only one, I'd rather bring in a starting-caliber forward and think Brown could hold the fort for 8-10 minutes

How is this lazy? Not sure what that means in this context.

A prior connection with size and athleticism to come in and act basically as a practice player/spot back-up for our 30+ minute starter. How many 7 foot transfers are out there willing to sign up for that role in this day and age? Who was the competition for the spot that we haven't vetted?
Exactly. Convenient doesn’t mean lazy.

Willing to take on a limited role?

The counter to that is limited for a year with a legit shot to start the following year. Still not an easy sell but easier than the lifetime backup pitch.

So many better players out there. BLAH
so who do you think you would get for a 10 minute at best stint? It's easy to say so many better players but not so easy when you think about who would sign up for a clear back up/break glass role. the options become very limited.

Cuse!