Class of 2023 - C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23)

He looks similar to Hima, good athlete for his size but really raw. Great candidate to reshirt while we go get a Filipowski type of transfer.

Quincy Ballard is averaging 10 min per game with 2 points and 2 rebounds for WSU. Good thing we missed on him.
Filipowski is transferring. . .

To the NBA.

Agree, no issues here.

It is hard to find good big men. And even harder to retain them for a few years. In this day and age, there is going to be significant turnover every season. Doesn't matter who the program is.

Big men are the slowest players to develop. Having a guy on the roster who is likely to stay at least a few years, and who has a high ceiling, is good roster management. He might not break into the rotation until 2026 but that is okay. And in the event you have a couple of injuries or a couple players hurt, you have something on the roster to fill in for emergencies.

With all the recent changes, you need to use all 13 scholarships every year so you have maximum protection against getting into a situation where all or almost all the players at a given position left. Kind of like what we ran into with the forward position this year.

This is a good long range move.

For the short term, we need an experienced, solid center for next year. Hopefully Jesse. If not Jesse, some starter in the portal from other school. That should be a given. At minimum, I also expect us to bring in a power forward who has been starting and doing well from the portal.

If Judah leaves, add a PG to the portal shopping list.
If this is the way it plays out with portal additions, I have no problem with adding Patterson as a LONG term project. However, I'm not sure if JB will use the portal that way. If he opts to roll with Hima, Carey and Patterson at the 5, I don't think it will go well. In that case, I would expect to see MB misplaced at the 5.

Rony redshirted, then was a four year starter.

Fab started year one, but often got a quick hook.
Well, technically u r correct, but Rony joined the team in mid-season so it would have been dumb for him not to shirt and use up an entire year of eligibility, back when players actually stayed four seasons.

Bell, Cope, or JBA. But I think JBA is a senior anyway. Junior. After looking, I'm even more confused on Ajak. He was a 2019 recruit. Add in the COVID year.

Remember this oldie but goodie:

Never stop Jon, never stop.
JBA RS’d his freshman year. He’s in the same class as Joe and Jesse

5A6126DB-92DF-484D-8CD8-18BCAAEE867B.jpeg

If this is the way it plays out with portal additions, I have no problem with adding Patterson as a LONG term project. However, I'm not sure if JB will use the portal that way. If he opts to roll with Hima, Carey and Patterson at the 5, I don't think it will go well. In that case, I would expect to see MB misplaced at the 5.
I think everyone knows that should he come to Syracuse, Patterson adds nothing to the team for 2023-24.

That move is more roster building for 2024-25, 2025-26 and beyond.

I don't see Patterson's presence on the roster playing a role in whether we add an experienced center for 2023-24 (or retain Jesse).

That said, JAB has done some strange things with the roster in recent years and perhaps you are correct.

I have a hard time reacting strongly one way or the other. If he can spend his first year learning to catch and finish and put some weight on, great. If not, he'll be buried or transfer to a MAAC/NEC school.

Good for William for getting a scholarship, but this is an example of this staff not getting it. With todays portal, you don’t think three years out before someone is a factor. The chance of someone waiting three years to get playing time is not happening anymore. You need to plan being good now!

Good for William for getting a scholarship, but this is an example of this staff not getting it. With todays portal, you don’t think three years out before someone is a factor. The chance of someone waiting three years to get playing time is not happening anymore. You need to plan being good now!
Agree. OK if the plan is to let this kid redshirt while going out and getting a transfer who can play 1 year for us. Maybe staff feels Hima will be ready or Jesse is staying?

Carey to the 4.
Himm Frosh
Brown Carey
Bell ?
Taylor ?
? COPE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics