Class of 2023 - C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23)

Yes, I know elite players will be available, but the competition will be fierce for Filipowski type talent. It’s the same competition as trying to recruit top 50 players. UK DUKE KU TENN AUBURN BAMA LSU OREGON etc…
Mintz, Moore, Adams…

If I was William Patterson trying to decide on whether to come to Syracuse or not and I read the negativity on this board about him playing for Syracuse, I would have an easy decision.

Then the same people will complain that the coaches did not land Patterson when Syracuse fails to get a qualified center through the portal. Jim Boeheim (even if he retires) will be blamed in either case.
Some of our fans are not happy unless they are miserable.

Excuse us terrible fans for not being super stoked for a kid that has 4 points on the season and can't see the floor on a sub 500 HS program.
You don’t need to be super stoked, but he’s not taking anyone else’s spot so why do you care? All I hear about is all of these players are supposedly transferring out so you clearly have the space to take a shot on a project

Mintz, Moore, Adams…
My point was we are getting elite players just need to put it together. Buddy and Swider on 2 way deals. In this day/ age its all about roster management and mix of transfers, recruiting and development.

This kid isn't as bad as some are making out, but he is clearly a project.

He's an athletic jumping jack, with limited refinement at this stage [especially offensively]. But he is a high major athlete. Projects as a plus shot blocker.

Watching that bit of tape shared the real concern here is the motor and being tentative. Reminds a lot of Dash Riley in that manner. Seems like a great kid and bigtime athlete. After that though his reaction time isn't great on D and he spends a lot of time watching and not being confident where he should be on the court.

You don’t need to be super stoked, but he’s not taking anyone else’s spot so why do you care? All I hear about is all of these players are supposedly transferring out so you clearly have the space to take a shot on a project

We are collecting projects at the 5. We need a ready to go from day 1 guy at the 5. Right now the only one that would be is Jesse. If we get this kid we are putting Hima, Carey and Patterson out there as our rotation? That's not a winning formula.

1-4 needs to be loaded up in that case. No clear evidence that will be the case. That isn't to say I take issue with Patterson. It's the roster strategy as a whole that doesn't add up.

That school does a lousy job keeping stats. I looked before. Most their games don’t get recorded. Right now they’ve played 29 games and the players that’s played the most has played 12. Most are in single digits and many in 1, 2, or 3. It’s not dependable at all. Their total points divided by GP is 25 ppg.

If you watch that clip he played maybe 4 to 5 minutes and then never came back in. Their stats suck yes but this tape is rough...

That school does a lousy job keeping stats. I looked before. Most their games don’t get recorded. Right now they’ve played 29 games and the players that’s played the most has played 12. Most are in single digits and many in 1, 2, or 3. It’s not dependable at all. Their total points divided by GP is 25 ppg.
Typical of the web sites that have HS sports statistics on them.

This goes for basketball, football, soccer; you name it.

It is very rare to find a HS program that tracks stats well, publishes them on the Internet and keeps them up to date.

I can't remember seeing one in all the years I have been following HS sports for recruiting.

I know there is a sophomore center on Patrick rated as one of the top 30 sophomore in the country.

Guessing William did not transfer to get more PT. Maybe he was homesick or maybe he wanted to play against top competition every day in practice?

Don’t know if this was already posted. But here’s some video when he played for Bishop Walsh last year. He’s #0 in white. Lot of familiar names in this game. To me he looks tentative and lacks strength.

One other thing I found when trying to research him is that the TCU and Ok St offers were made in the fall of 2020. Are they still valid?

Typical of the web sites that have HS sports statistics on them.

This goes for basketball, football, soccer; you name it.

It is very rare to find a HS program that tracks stats well, publishes them on the Internet and keeps them up to date.

I can't remember seeing one in all the years I have been following HS sports for recruiting.

I know there is a sophomore center on Patrick rated as one of the top 30 sophomore in the country.

Guessing William did not transfer to get more PT. Maybe he was homesick or maybe he wanted to play against top competition every day in practice?

It's odd overall. I've gone through about 10 games on YouTube. His number on TPS site says 34 but on the video in this thread is 51. He barely played in that one and looked more raw than even Ballard in his tapes.

In the others not sure if he is a different number than above but I'm not finding him in any of those clips including in the pre game starter announcements with guys lined up ( admittedly it isn't always easy to see when bunched).

Bad stats or not sure looks like he hardly ever plays.

I hear all the concerns here. They make sense. All I can say is I saw the kid at the game the other day and he certainly looks the part. He is a monster. In this era of the transfer portal, my feeling is you bring it as many guys as you can, see what you have, and let the chips fall where they may. He can come in next year and they can see what they have and if he can’t play, he’ll go somewhere else. Nothing gained nothing lost. But maybe this kid has some thing that AG has seen and he becomes a diamond in the rough. At this point what do we have to lose?

And I wouldn’t worry about him taking a scholarship. These things always work themselves out, and I feel very confident there will be plenty of room at the inn.

I don't have an issue with recruiting Patterson. He's a project, but has a lot of the right tools, and looks like a system fit athletically / as a shot blocker.

The problem is that we don't have better players in front of him [all due respect to Hima]. Rolling the dice on an athletic project is much easier to do when you've got better players in the pipeline.

I don't have an issue with recruiting Patterson. He's a project, but has a lot of the right tools, and looks like a system fit athletically / as a shot blocker.

The problem is that we don't have better players in front of him [all due respect to Hima]. Rolling the dice on an athletic project is much easier to do when you've got better players in the pipeline.
My only issue is depending on who stays/leaves, could we potentially need his scholly for a portal addition? 1 3 star 2023 recruit vs 0 2023 recruits isn’t going to make or break us.

Right. Bring him in to be a developmental project, but the only project big man while the others are good players ready contribute.

I will say the tendencies on tape with Patterson are a bit concerning but those things can be coached. 7-2 with good athleticism cannot.

I hear all the concerns here. They make sense. All I can say is I saw the kid at the game the other day and he certainly looks the part. He is a monster. In this era of the transfer portal, my feeling is you bring it as many guys as you can, see what you have, and let the chips fall where they may. He can come in next year and they can see what they have and if he can’t play, he’ll go somewhere else. Nothing gained nothing lost. But maybe this kid has some thing that AG has seen and he becomes a diamond in the rough. At this point what do we have to lose?

And I wouldn’t worry about him taking a scholarship. These things always work themselves out, and I feel very confident there will be plenty of room at the inn.
100%. Benny was a high 4 star possible 5 and he didn't pan out. Kadary was a late take and ended up being a great player. Hakim late pick etc... With HS kids it a crap shoot. I like this kid hes raw but hes worth taking

Right. Bring him in to be a developmental project, but the only project big man while the others are good players ready contribute.

I will say the tendencies on tape with Patterson are a bit concerning but those things can be coached. 7-2 with good athleticism cannot.
Agree, no issues here.

It is hard to find good big men. And even harder to retain them for a few years. In this day and age, there is going to be significant turnover every season. Doesn't matter who the program is.

Big men are the slowest players to develop. Having a guy on the roster who is likely to stay at least a few years, and who has a high ceiling, is good roster management. He might not break into the rotation until 2026 but that is okay. And in the event you have a couple of injuries or a couple players hurt, you have something on the roster to fill in for emergencies.

With all the recent changes, you need to use all 13 scholarships every year so you have maximum protection against getting into a situation where all or almost all the players at a given position left. Kind of like what we ran into with the forward position this year.

This is a good long range move.

For the short term, we need an experienced, solid center for next year. Hopefully Jesse. If not Jesse, some starter in the portal from other school. That should be a given. At minimum, I also expect us to bring in a power forward who has been starting and doing well from the portal.

If Judah leaves, add a PG to the portal shopping list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom