Class of 2023 - C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23)

I think this is a desperation move. Hima is much better than Patterson. I’m not sure why a scholarship is being considered.
There is no other program in America where being 7' tall and athletic is more valuable. Our zone makes blocking shots/taking up space in the middle of the zone the essential "skill" of the center position. We don't need them to do anything else if they can cut off penetration to the rim. Patterson has height and athleticism, perhaps they can teach other skills... If not, they have Carey, Hima and a few more future recruits before Patterson's lacking skills become a problem.

We sometimes don't even use the last few scholarships at all, who cares if we have a center project taking the spot?

Last edited:
There is no other program in America where being 7' tall and athletic is more valuable. Our zone makes blocking shots/taking up space in the middle of the zone the essential "skill" of the center position. We don't need them to do anything else if they can cut off penetration to the rim. Patterson has height and athleticism, perhaps they can teach other skills... If not, they have Carey, Hima and a few more future recruits before Patterson's lacking skills becomea problem.

We sometimes don't even use the last fe scholarships at all, who cares if we have a center project taking the spot?
Yeah if he wants to come I don't see much downside. Not like he's scaring away anyone.

There is no other program in America where being 7' tall and athletic is more valuable. Our zone makes blocking shots/taking up space in the middle of the zone the essential "skill" of the center position. We don't need them to do anything else if they can cut off penetration to the rim. Patterson has height and athleticism, perhaps they can teach other skills... If not, they have Carey, Hima and a few more future recruits before Patterson's lacking skills become a problem.

We sometimes don't even use the last few scholarships at all, who cares if we have a center project taking the spot?
We always have a center project taking a spot. lmao It's a norm

Right, we often do... Which is why it's comical to me that people are worrying about this center project.

If we were making sure we have a serviceable or better center every year then it's a non issue. That has not been the case in our struggles since 14 with often having to play a forward in the pivot due to issues/youth/weaknesses with the raw/developmental centers on the roster. Jesse has been a refreshing change of pace but it's looking like Jesse is the anomaly and we will be headed back to the same challenges. If Patterson comes we need both Carey and Hima to make a big jump and that's dependent on Careys position once the staff sees what they have by next year.

Brown is per some comments sounding like a very good defensive player but at 6-9, that's still possibly another undersized scenario. Fielder if we can land him is a 4 man with wing skills and tough around the hoop. Another guy that if we lose a year or two in by not having a natural center that is ready we return to forcing another 4 to play the 5.

I think for me, the issue is that Hima and Carey are already center projects and then you want to add another who’s supposedly even more raw.
We need two that are game ready at any given time... This year it's Edwards with a little bit of Hima. Next year it will likely be Hima and Carey, with Patterson or some other big on the bench.

Maybe the year after it's Hima/Patterson with Carey advanced enough to play forward mostly.

(Shrugs)

We need two that are game ready at any given time... This year it's Edwards with a little bit of Hima. Next year it will likely be Hima and Carey, with Patterson or some other big on the bench.

Maybe the year after it's Hima/Patterson with Carey advanced enough to play forward mostly.

(Shrugs)
Hopefully Hima proves me wrong but it seems like he essentially failed up due to the really bad backup big transfer market.

I think for me, the issue is that Hima and Carey are already center projects and then you want to add another who’s supposedly even more raw.
Difficult to get 6'11 athletic length. Worth it each year (at least every other) to add depth at the 5 if you run a 2-3 zone. Much more difficult to get a stud Center commit than a Wing or Guard.

Difficult to get 6'11 athletic length. Worth it each year (at least every other) to add depth at the 5 if you run a 2-3 zone. Much more difficult to get a stud Center commit than a Wing or Guard.
Agree. Most teams (zone or man D) can live with the 5 spot being void of a lot of offense. Protect the rim, rebound, help on defense, picks/screens, and mobile enough in todays game to get out on the perimeter. Bigs often take time to develop so good to stash and let them grow some.

There are very few 7 foot people that play bball at his hs level.

(Shrugs)
Unless one of those bigs take a huge step forward this year, you’d have to think we’d want a 5 in the transfer market. And if we do go that route, that means 4 guys on scholly who play the 5?

I understand maybe defensively playing 2 of those guys at once next year, but offensively it would be tough.

Unless one of those bigs take a huge step forward this year, you’d have to think we’d want a 5 in the transfer market. And if we do go that route, that means 4 guys on scholly who play the 5?

I understand maybe defensively playing 2 of those guys at once next year, but offensively it would be tough.
Assuming Patterson comes here, Edwards, Torrence and Girard leave, and none of our other players transfer or go pro, our rotation could look like this:

C Hima 25
C Carey 15
F Carey 10
F Williams 35
F Bunch/Taylor/Brown 45
G Taylor 10
G Mintz 35
G Copeland 25

Patterson and unknown guard/forward recruit are deep depth, or may not even exist, as the scholarships go unused. Unless, of course, we get lucky on either the transfer or recruiting front. Another Cole Swider type transfer, this time at guard, would look really good in this lineup next to Mintz.

As always when projecting a year out, virtually every player is a complete unknown, so worrying about how a hypothetical 7' project center fits in is a bit of a fools errand...

(I guess I'm the fool, then)

I think this is a desperation move. Hima is much better than Patterson. I’m not sure why a scholarship is being considered.
why even make desperation moves with the portal??? easier than ever to get something last minute...

Assuming Patterson comes here, Edwards, Torrence and Girard leave, and none of our other players transfer or go pro, our rotation could look like this:

C Hima 25
C Carey 15
F Carey 10
F Williams 35
F Bunch/Taylor/Brown 45
G Taylor 10
G Mintz 35
G Copeland 25

Patterson and unknown guard/forward recruit are deep depth, or may not even exist, as the scholarships go unused. Unless, of course, we get lucky on either the transfer or recruiting front. Another Cole Swider type transfer, this time at guard, would look really good in this lineup next to Mintz.

As always when projecting a year out, virtually every player is a complete unknown, so worrying about how a hypothetical 7' project center fits in is a bit of a fools errand...

(I guess I'm the fool, then)
Lol, we will use the transfer portal to fill out the roster.

people werent thrilled with jessie’s commitment and he turned out fine. I dont think jessie even played on the top img team.

Lol, we will use the transfer portal to fill out the roster.
Perhaps, JB seemed hesitant to block this freshman class with transfers. Next year may be different if one or more hasn't worked out.

If they all play up to expectations, we won't need any, this will be a very good young team.

I suspect we will take Patterson, a guard and leave the other open for a "wait and see" transfer or late recruit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom