Calhoun breaks Hip | Syracusefan.com

Calhoun breaks Hip

Photo of the license plate on the car that hit him

thumbnail.aspx

National Cycling Association was informed by Calhoun that his bike received impermissible parts and he would need to take a 2-year break from riding.

That's not good at all. That can be very serious. Hope he recovers and suffers no longterm effects or complications. Cancer drugs can reek havoc on bones, blood and organs.

Having emergency surgery this evening. As good an athlethe that he is / was - gonna be a tough bounce back for a 70 year old

Man he got torn up in a bike crash a few years ago too, didn't he? Here's hoping for a full recovery.

That really shouldn't have been funny.

But it was funny.

Probably too soon. Would be more funny after he's recovered which I hope happens quickly.

Something about UConn hoops immediately fills me with venom though.

What doesn't happen to this guy, jeez. He should consider changing his name to Job. Get well soon.

The beginning of the end. This may do it for JC on the sidelines.

The beginning of the end. This may do it for JC on the sidelines.

At his age, a broken hip is a pretty serious injury. Not making light of the fact that he got hurt, but I think you are right--this is the beginning of the end.

Man he got torn up in a bike crash a few years ago too, didn't he? Here's hoping for a full recovery.

Yeah, I'm quite sure he did. The guy's been through his fair share of health problems the past decade.

Get well soon Coach.

My father had a similar accident a few Years back. I can't imagine the pain even if I hate uconn...I hope he recovers and gets back soon.

Hopefully with the new media contract the BE is about to sign UConn can afford to buy Calhoun some training wheels...or a tricycle.

Really not funny. A broken hip at his age is a sign of deteriorating bones. As has been pointed out I am sure his cancer regimen has played a role. His health seems to be on the downslide. He's had a great run at UConn. Maybe its time to hang it up and take care of himself and enjoy his family. Tough to do for such an active person. Get well soon Coach!!

Yeah I hate UCONN as much as anyone but a hip fracture in a 70 year old can be the difference between life and death.

to quote Wes Mantooth "I hate you with every fiber of my being, but goddamn do I respect you!"

Jim Calhoun is the only reason that UCONN is not currently on the same level with Providence and Boston College. Calhoun was great for the Big East and UCONN carried the league through some otherwise lean years. I will miss the rivalry but it seems like Calhoun has more important things in his life to worry about at this point. I wish him well.

Calhoun said he expects to be back and fine and wants to finish out the final 2 years in his contract. It'll be interesting to see how quickly he can recover.

Would it be worth it to rush back and risk not healing fully to coach a team that can't be in the BET or NCAA?

I like a good joke as much as anyone and lord knows I've made my fair share of bad and inappropriate jokes, but I just don't get how some people can make light of someone sustaining a serious injury. Let's all try to stay classy, San Diego.

Get well soon, coach.

Riding bike today
What a shame. Especially considering he was hurt raising money to fight cancer. Best wishes to him for a full and speedy recovery.

Hate the guy but love to hate him/respect the hell out of him.

Will miss playing games against his teams more than any other thing next year when Syracuse is no longer in the BE. It will be awful if he is in a wheel chair or not on the bench at all when SU plays UConn for the last time in regular season play in the winter. I assume that game will be played in Hartford...might have to make my first basketball road trip to Connecticut to see that one.

What a shame. Especially considering he was hurt raising money to fight cancer. Best wishes to him for a full and speedy recovery.

Hate the guy but love to hate him/respect the hell out of him.

Will miss playing games against his teams more than any other thing next year when Syracuse is no longer in the BE. It will be awful if he is in a wheel chair or not on the bench at all when SU plays UConn for the last time in regular season play in the winter. I assume that game will be played in Hartford...might have to make my first basketball road trip to Connecticut to see that one.
Did not know he was riding to raise money for cancer. Hopefully the people making jokes feel even more like asses now with that knowledge.

Did not know he was riding to raise money for cancer. Hopefully the people making jokes feel even more like asses now with that knowledge.

Pfft. Gimme a break (no pun intended). My great uncle broke his hip last fall and had total hip replacement surgery at the age of 82. He was happy as hell that he broke it the fall so that his recovery time would be throughout the winter and spring and wouldnt cut into this year's golf season. He's back on the links.