Calhoun to Retire | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Calhoun to Retire

As much as I hate Calhoun and Uconn, it's sad to see him go. JT3 just isn't the same sort of foil to Boeheim that Calhoun was, and it is sad that there won't be one last showdown between the Jims. Like losing JT2 at Georgetown, hating Uconn just won't quite be the same without him on the side line.

OK, there, Curley Bill. Better grow some eyes in the back of that there head. You called down the thunder. ;)

Ha! The quote just seemed to fit. Living in CT for so long, I really, really hate the bastard. There just isn't much more for me to say. :)

If I were a uconn fan, I'd stay on my own board for a few days. Probably not a good time to be trolling and flaming.

There's a shitstorm brewing in your athletic department because your hall of fame coach your new AD.

If I were a uconn fan I'd be pissed at Calhoun...two years of hemming and hawing has damaged your recruiting and now this. If uconn is the best program in the league, why not open up the search and let big name after big name get floated for the job, instead of giving it to the intern with two years in the program who still hasn't proven he can recruit. It's not like Ollie has been groomed for job...he just happens to be the only warm body on the Calhoun coaching tree that hasn't gone tits up in the past five years.

And he's got to coach and recruit while on probation with no post season.

Not exactly ideal circumstances. You don't have to be Kreskin to see trouble brewing.

Not to mention the conference mess you have on your hands and the gold member qualified AARP football coaching leadership we ran out of town 8 years ago that is putting out an offense that made our Grob years look like Montana's 49ers.

just saying...it might be a good time to lay low for a bit...

Ollie got a one-year deal. If they want to can him after this year, they'll can him. It's quite simple.

I'm actually happy for Jim. Enjoy your retirement, nobody should go through all the physical pain he has + the stress of this job. And Ollie gets a tryout year that would have had nothing to look forward to anyway. Now I get to see if this guy can coach/recruit.

If I were a uconn fan, I'd stay on my own board for a few days. Probably not a good time to be trolling and flaming.

just saying...it might be a good time to lay low for a bit...
That would make sense.

Some here were feeling bad for their fan base because of the ND move, let alone JC. Then the trolls come out and make you wonder why you felt sorry for them in the first place.

Ollie got a one-year deal. If they want to can him after this year, they'll can him. It's quite simple.

That doesn't sound like a good thing.

Coaching instability + conf instability = what?

That would make sense.

Some here were feeling bad for their fan base because of the ND move, let alone JC. Then the trolls come out and make you wonder why you felt sorry for them in the first place.

Some people are just wired differently. Isn't because of the laundry the team they root for is a certain color. It's just the way they are.

IMO, game respects game. I respect the hell out of JB. I know he respects the hell out of JC.

I also value their opinions more than those of any message board poster because they know what the hell they are talking about.

That doesn't sound like a good thing.

Coaching instability + conf instability = what?

Yeah, but they had that anyway. At least they can try and get out in front of it if they have to.

It'll be fascinating to watch. An entire coaching staff fighting for their jobs, with ONLY the regular season to do so. It's like a bizarro-world reality tv show. :)

I'm actually happy for Jim. Enjoy your retirement, nobody should go through all the physical pain he has + the stress of this job. And Ollie gets a tryout year that would have had nothing to look forward to anyway. Now I get to see if this guy can coach/recruit.

Your AD isn't thrilled with how this went down. You know, they guy whose job depends on the success of the coaches of each sport. He might want a say in who they are.

Some people are just wired differently. Isn't because of the laundry the team they root for is a certain color. It's just the way they are.

IMO, game respects game. I respect the hell out of JB. I know he respects the hell out of JC.

I also value their opinions more than those of any message board poster because they know what the hell they are talking about.
I agree, apologies if my post came out wrong. I get annoyed at troll posters who are just posting to get a rise. Always enjoy the back and forth followed by a handshake and a good luck before a game, makes fanhood fun.

Definitely feel for you guys and will miss disliking Calhoun.

As much as I hate Calhoun and Uconn, it's sad to see him go. JT3 just isn't the same sort of foil to Boeheim that Calhoun was, and it is sad that there won't be one last showdown between the Jims. Like losing JT2 at Georgetown, hating Uconn just won't quite be the same without him on the side line.

I'm with you- really enjoyed rooting against him. There's a lot of negative about Calhoun that I'll let others say but if you needed a coach for one season I'd be hard pressed to find one better than he. K? maybe. Izzo- don't think so. That Kentucky guy who shall not be named, maybe, but Calhoun would outcoach him head to head. It'll be interesting to see how the hoops program goes. They have a tradition of excellence but I wonder if the infrastructure is there to continue it without him (as I think IS there when JB goes- at least I hope so).

Yeah, but they had that anyway. At least they can try and get out in front of it if they have to.

It'll be fascinating to watch. An entire coaching staff fighting for their jobs, with ONLY the regular season to do so. It's like a bizarro-world reality tv show. :)
Zls, how can these guys recruit when they can't tell them they will be coaching at Uconn? It seems impossible.

Your AD isn't thrilled with how this went down. You know, they guy whose job depends on the success of the coaches of each sport. He might want a say in who they are.

Oh, I agree. Which is why he only gave him 1 year. They can't do anything of note this year anyway, so he can just jettison him and start from scratch next year. If they hired a new coach, at ANY point, there would be recruiting concerns anyway. So yes, it's ty timing, and yes, it's a power play. But UConn has covered itself as best it can to get out from under Ollie after a year if it's clear he isn't up to the task.

The timing sucks. I can't do anything about that. So I'm not going to worry about that part.

Zls, how can these guys recruit when they can't tell them they will be coaching at Uconn? It seems impossible.

It does seem like it'll be tough. Guess we're about to find out.

I find it easy to dislike uconn some because they have 3 titles including beating a rediculous good butler squad in 4 final fours. We have one but should have 2 in 4 final fours.

If it wasn't for that, I think alot of the uconn posts on this board wouldn't even be here.

Whitey, that gif is great...loved the post today on Deadspin...classic stuff. You could tell Francesa was pissed at the director/ producer for staying with the shot of him asleep at the wheel. LOL . Great stuff.

I can't stand Calhoun, which is precisely why I'm really going to miss him. Having an arch villain makes sports fandom fun.

I agree with half of your statement. I can't stand him, and couldn't be happier he is gone. Good riddance D-B

Really? cuz I hang on every word you type in every one of your posts

Look what the cat dragged in. Yeah, we'll be Clemson in 5 years. You really a moron Mau. First, you don't belong here. Second, this was a very bad day for your school. The ACC told you to stay in the craphole of a league you are now in and you lost a great coach. Coming off a lousy season and heading in toa worse one. I understand your pain but...get lost. Oh, and you were second class for the first half of the Big East's history. Just like you are now.
I was in total agreement with your post till you said a great coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom