Callin my shot | Syracusefan.com

Callin my shot

Nahson

Your best friend
-At home vs. Clemson.
-Honoring Floyd Little.
-Leading the nation in all purpose yards.

Sean Tucker comes out wearing 44. I’ve been hesitant in the past and was against bringing it back but boy, if there ever was a time, it’s now. 44 swag is going to be littered all over that stadium Friday night. The crowd would go insane if Tucker runs out of the tunnel with it on. Tucker not only deserves it but it would generate a TON of hype for a program that desperately needs it. Couple it with a Clemson win and SU absolutely crushes the PR for the weekend. It’s literally such a no brainer.

Also, what better way to Honor Little than passing the torch of his legacy?

I think you will be disappointed by how few people in the crowd will notice. It will take awhile for the news to reach everyone unless an announcement is made.

There needs to be some sort of introduction when they leave the tunnel. I mean, why get this new scoreboard and light system if you can’t make use of it, especially at a night game? But it is SU so it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t mention it all and completely punt on the delivery.

There needs to be some sort of introduction when they leave the tunnel. I mean, why get this new scoreboard and light system if you can’t make use of it, especially at a night game? But it is SU so it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t mention it all and completely punt on the delivery.
Yeah if you want to create a moment, there needs to be an announcement. Before the first offensive play Mr Excitement could say something like “in at running back, wearing number 44, Sean Tucker. “. I think at least 25% of the crowd would hear it and/or understand the significance.

-At home vs. Clemson.
-Honoring Floyd Little.

Sean Tucker comes out wearing 44. I’ve been hesitant in the past and was against bringing it back but boy, if there ever was a time, it’s now. 44 swag is going to be littered all over that stadium Friday night. The crowd would go insane if Tucker runs out of the tunnel with it on. Tucker not only deserves it but it would generate a TON of hype for a program that desperately needs it. Couple it with a Clemson win and SU absolutely crushes the PR for the weekend. It’s literally such a no brainer.

All of that, from your keyboard to gods ears!

-At home vs. Clemson.
-Honoring Floyd Little.

Please. Please. Please. Let him lead the pack, so everyone knows. DO IT!

qjyz20r80jc11.gif

-At home vs. Clemson.
-Honoring Floyd Little.

This needs to happen. I've decided that it's going to. Dont care if I'm wrong. If you like movies? Its what should happen. HONOR Floyd Little. Honor tradition. Let the legacy live on with our BEST RB in ages.

I've decided to write Sean's tweet for after the game.

"Friday, I was thankful for the opportunity to wear #44. I hope I can honor those who wore it before me. I was pleased with my performance, but I am more happy that we won. I ran for 172 yards on 28 attempts for 3 TDs. I caught 5 for 64 yards and 2 TDs. I am just getting started. #44."

Yeah. I like his tweets, too.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people would notice if this happened but changing the number mid season? Seems like it would make more sense to do it at the beginning of next season.

This needs to happen. I've decided that it's going to. Dont care if I'm wrong. If you like movies? Its what should happen. HONOR Floyd Little. Honor tradition. Let the legacy live on with our BEST RB in ages.

I've decided to write Sean's tweet for after the game.

"Friday, I was thankful for the opportunity to wear #44. I hope I can honor those who wore it before me. I was pleased with my performance, but I am more happy that we won. I ran for 172 yards on 28 attempts for 3 TDs. I caught 5 for 64 yards and 2 TDs. I am just getting started. #44."

Yeah. I like his tweets, too.
Nostradamus? Is that you?

-At home vs. Clemson.
-Honoring Floyd Little.

It wouldn't surprise me if SU gave 44 to Sean for the Clemson game but in my book they should have done it for Wake Forest.

On a night when we are honoring Floyd, the whole "Tucker getting 44" thing would seem to distract attention from the purpose of the evening. Also, 44 isn't exactly Floyd's legacy. He was not the first great 44 and we have had several after him. Actually, the passing of the 44 torch would be from Rob Konrad to Sean.

I want Sean to get #44, and maybe if he gets it this week there is less pressure due to the night being about somebody else, but I think that the focus should be solely Floyd Little. Certainly better late than never but they should have done it last week.

It wouldn't surprise me if SU gave 44 to Sean for the Clemson game but in my book they should have done it for Wake Forest.

On a night when we are honoring Floyd, the whole "Tucker getting 44" thing would seem to distract attention from the purpose of the evening. Also, 44 isn't exactly Floyd's legacy. He was not the first great 44 and we have had several after him. Actually, the passing of the 44 torch would be from Rob Konrad to Sean.

I want Sean to get #44, and maybe if he gets it this week there is less pressure due to the night being about somebody else, but I think that the focus should be solely Floyd Little. Certainly better late than never but they should have done it last week.
Dick,

I always appreciate your posts and certainly get where you are coming from. However I am firmly in the camp that the failure to use 44 for so many years has caused less of a focus on the greats who wore it before.

After Rob Konrad, etc. wore it, it would invariably lead to a discussion about the legendary status of the number and the specific greats who donned the jersey in years’ past.

I think those focus vignettes have been lacking since they decided to retire it. A decision I will always believe was a major mistake.

My feeling is that if Sean Tucker is given the number, leads the team out of the tunnel on Floyd’s night and has any success, there will be a focus on that tie during national wraps…..especially if Syracuse wins.

I like the idea for Friday night and would be certainly willing to raise four fingers on each hands to honor the occasion.

For what it is worth, it would also not hurt the Heisman campaign to at least get him invited to NY.

Let’s Go Orange!

SUOrange44

Dick,

I always appreciate your posts and certainly get where you are coming from. However I am firmly in the camp that the failure to use 44 for so many years has caused less of a focus on the greats who wore it before.

After Rob Konrad, etc. wore it, it would invariably lead to a discussion about the legendary status of the number and the specific greats who donned the jersey in years’ past.

I think those focus vignettes have been lacking since they decided to retire it. A decision I will always believe was a major mistake.

My feeling is that if Sean Tucker is given the number, leads the team out of the tunnel on Floyd’s night and has any success, there will be a focus on that tie during national wraps…..especially if Syracuse wins.

I like the idea for Friday night and would be certainly willing to raise four fingers on each hands to honor the occasion.

For what it is worth, it would also not hurt the Heisman campaign to at least get him invited to NY.

Let’s Go Orange!

SUOrange44

Don't get me wrong; I am absolutely in the camp that says Sean should get #44 and I agree that they never should have retired it. I just feel that they should have done it for Wake. As I said, better late than never.

I‘m not sure this is the game to give Tucker the number. The last thing you want to happen is he wears 44 and Clemson holds him to 40 yards. It could also be a distraction. On the other hand, if he goes for 200 yards it would be a magical night.

It'd be great, but I'm not sure if the game we're honoring Floyd would be the best way to do it?

I‘m not sure this is the game to give Tucker the number. The last thing you want to happen is he wears 44 and Clemson holds him to 40 yards. It could also be a distraction. On the other hand, if he goes for 200 yards it would be a magical night.
National Prime time TV. Our tradition of the great 44s. What better way to bring national attention to the legacy?

It'd be great, but I'm not sure if the game we're honoring Floyd would be the best way to do it?

did anyone else know that we were honoring Floyd before yesterday when they sent out the email to buy the navy blue 44 shirts?

Didn’t know if this was a last minute idea or had been planned since before the season

did anyone else know that we were honoring Floyd before yesterday when they sent out the email to buy the navy blue 44 shirts?

Didn’t know if this was a last minute idea or had been planned since before the season

Since August...

Since August...

Gotcha, weird that they are doing an Orange out and pushing people to buy navy blue Floyd little 44 shirts for the game

chalk that up to typically bad Syracuse University Marketing

Gotcha, weird that they are doing an Orange out and pushing people to buy navy blue Floyd little 44 shirts for the game

chalk that up to typically bad Syracuse University Marketing

Hey - maybe the students can do a platinum out to really make it a spectacle? :p

I want this to happen. But it won’t, for two reasons.

First, this leadership has never exactly proven that from a marketing and momentum standpoint, it can take it’s shot at the exact right time and cash in. They just cannot do it.

Second, if Jim Brown has refused to give his blessing, there is no way leadership will risk him vocally sharing his displeasure. (Which I disagree with and frankly the guy does not deserve the level of respect he gets already. He may be the best all time on the field, but off of it……).

I want this to happen. But it won’t, for two reasons.

First, this leadership has never exactly proven that from a marketing and momentum standpoint, it can take it’s shot at the exact right time and cash in. They just cannot do it.

Second, if Jim Brown has refused to give his blessing, there is no way leadership will risk him vocally sharing his displeasure. (Which I disagree with and frankly the guy does not deserve the level of respect he gets already. He may be the best all time on the field, but off of it……).
Dino has said publicly that for 44 to be given out, the players who wore it in the past should give the nod first. But he also said that decision is above him.