Camp watch | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Camp watch

the big thing was last year we stopped dropping so many INTs.

sacks are a hard to thing to understand. ED ran out of a ton but also ran into a ton and held the ball too long.

getting the QB hit less is a good thing to strive for.

1-2-1-3-1-2-5-5-3-6-1-2-5

we gave up 3 vs FSU, 5 vs UNC 5 vs NC st 3 vs wake 6 vs ND 5 vs WV

so 7 games of 2 or less and 6 games of 3 or more..

Most important issues, Left Tackle and LB.

Really about the only open issues on the team, but huge to where this season will go.

There's no drama at QB, SU is riding with Tommy, he's the guy that is gong to set the ceiling.

Running back, Moe and Adams are 1 and 1a, Howard is the clear #3 and depth guy. Jordan can be an X factor on specials. If he breaks into the rotation he's really special.

WR is set, just settling on the rotation and if the 5th an 6th guys deserve PT.

OL, is there a legit LT on the roster, if there is watch out, if not, it's going to limit what the offense can do or expose Devito to big shots, which is the biggest risk for the season.

DL, not worried unless there are significant injuries, which is true for almost every other team in the country

LB, stars at the 1st and 3rd level, need one to emerge on the 2nd level to be considered a great defense. Want to be beat Clemson this year, need to limit Etienne and create opportunities for the DL and Secondary to impact the game, which are the two best units on the team.

Secondary, solid 2 deep at corner, legit ACC talent at safety. Other than Clemson and maybe FSU there isn't a WR unit that is going to create mismatches with this group.

Specials, just keep doing what you do
Well well said and great points and info. Agree with everything u said especially Tommy devito that I think us having a good to great season hinges on devito being healthy

Yep. Cisco is our most overrated player. He got burned in coverage a lot last year. Foster will be solid, but there is a realistic shot he does not progress. Trill Williams & Stritzinger are both going to be good if you count nickel as a sort of safety. Also, Frederick is very good, but he still gets beat. He is not elite at any one skill and it is incredibly unlikely he could be drafted in the NFL draft. The scary part about this team is that too many positions we are giving the benefit of the doubt to. How will the WRs hold up without the big presence of a Etta Tawo/Custis? Did we vastly undervalue the play of both Cody Conway and Koda Martin? Will the run game be better losing Dungey? How important was Slayton? Can the LBs step up? Will the special teams units be as good (I definitely expect a mean reversion in FG kicking %). Will DeVito be as good as we hope?

We have a very talented roster for the first time in a quick minute, but you can't count your chickens before they hatch. We could easily lose 4 coin flip ACC games plus playing at FSU and home against Clemson could be tough. I love this team but there is a reason the O/U is 7 wins. We are on the right track and a win at Clemson gives us a shot at the CFP. We want Bama baby!!!!

Prepare for the worst and pray for the best. Life of an SU football fan summed up.
Every team in CFB is going through exactly the same things we are.

The difference and reason everyone is so high on this team is that we see how crappy we were 3 years ago and how good we were last year as well as how good we can be this upcoming season. With a heck of a lot of damn good players back.

Last off-season everyone was saying the WR unit was in trouble. Who’d be the next AET. THIS system is built for WRs someone will easily step up and fill in for Custis.

Also wasn’t a huge Koda Martin fan. Not to say he wasn’t a good football player he is, but he wasn’t the anchor of the O line last season.
Koda Martin was very good for us. I like our chances I’m just pin pointing the few concerns. When things get too good around here you have to find something to stir the pot with. Almost like a reverse jinx. I hope we run the table.

the big thing was last year we stopped dropping so many INTs.

sacks are a hard to thing to understand. ED ran out of a ton but also ran into a ton and held the ball too long.

getting the QB hit less is a good thing to strive for.

1-2-1-3-1-2-5-5-3-6-1-2-5

we gave up 3 vs FSU, 5 vs UNC 5 vs NC st 3 vs wake 6 vs ND 5 vs WV

so 7 games of 2 or less and 6 games of 3 or more..

Giving up 3 to FSU is actually pretty good. They had one of the best edge rushers in college football, and the DL in general wasn't their weak spot.

UNC and ND were the two worst games we played all year.

ND we went in with a run heavy QB plan.. once ED went down we had issues across the board and got chasing. dropping 2-3 TD passes didnt help.

if we can keep it under 3 every game we still end up with 35+ but spread out.. the better we run and the quicker we throw the better it will be

Last off-season everyone was saying the WR unit was in trouble. Who’d be the next AET. THIS system is built for WRs someone will easily step up and fill in for Custis.

Also wasn’t a huge Koda Martin fan. Not to say he wasn’t a good football player he is, but he wasn’t the anchor of the O line last season.
His name is Taj Harris

ND we went in with a run heavy QB plan.. once ED went down we had issues across the board and got chasing. dropping 2-3 TD passes didnt help.

if we can keep it under 3 every game we still end up with 35+ but spread out.. the better we run and the quicker we throw the better it will be
Is it me or should we have had a backup plan. Cmon I love Dino and glad we have him and I know coaches have bad games too but that is a high school level game plan. All the video we had and that was it. Cmon. It still pissesssss me off. U can’t play that team and have one kinda answer maybe. U have to have a solid answer backed up by another answer when that answer don’t work. Don’t get me wrong here as having Conway and Martin looking like Turnstiles didn’t help anything either. Worst game I have seen either one play at pass pro. Dropped balls excetra. Piss poor game plan though. Really bad. Onward and upward though.

Is it me or should we have had a backup plan. Cmon I love Dino and glad we have him and I know coaches have bad games too but that is a high school level game plan. All the video we had and that was it. Cmon. It still pissesssss me off. U can’t play that team and have one kinda answer maybe. U have to have a solid answer backed up by another answer when that answer don’t work. Don’t get me wrong here as having Conway and Martin looking like Turnstiles didn’t help anything either. Worst game I have seen either one play at pass pro. Dropped balls excetra. Piss poor game plan though. Really bad. Onward and upward though.
We did

Tommy dropped a dime that should have been 7, but was dropped in the endzone.

That changed the whole game.

Dungey’s improvisation will be greatly missed. McNabb had it and Dungey had it. The ability to make something happen when nothing else worked.

The 2nd half of Western Michigan might have been different if he wasn’t able to comeback into the game. Likewise, against ND, maybe the score is 35-21 ND instead of 38-3 if Dungey stays in the game.

Hopefully TD has a bit of it. Regardless it helped us get to 10 wins last year and is not a skill that every skill player possesses.

Dungey’s improvisation will be greatly missed. McNabb had it and Dungey had it. The ability to make something happen when nothing else worked.

The 2nd half of Western Michigan might have been different if he wasn’t able to comeback into the game. Likewise, against ND, maybe the score is 35-21 ND instead of 38-3 if Dungey stays in the game.

Hopefully TD has a bit of it. Regardless it helped us get to 10 wins last year and is not a skill that every skill player possesses.
yep you can't underestimate the loss of a program impact type player like Dungy was. His loss will be palpable, that said theres enough talent around to soften the blow of his loss somewhat to avoid too great a backslide. Havent done the season analysis and prognostication yet but we're not going to see another 10 win season and rather I'll be satisfied with a 7-5 or better type year. If Babers pulls off anything like last season then he's an even better coach than I already thought.

Regardless it's going to be fun with more positives than negatives and will be a fun ride, and it's beyond cool that we can say that about syracuse football again as we look forward to the season.

Giving up 3 to FSU is actually pretty good. They had one of the best edge rushers in college football, and the DL in general wasn't their weak spot.

UNC and ND were the two worst games we played all year.

Pitt says “HELLO?”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom