Can Brandon average 20 ppg next year? | Syracusefan.com

Can Brandon average 20 ppg next year?

PoppyHart

All American
I think it's a stretch, though I think he and CJ are our best players.

Discuss.

Very few players average 20 under JB. Seriously, who has in the last 25 years? Melo, Wallace, Owens, Moten...anyone else? DC never did, did he?

So no. Our leading scorer will be at most around 15 PPG next year, once again.

I think he could, but I don't think it is likely nor that the team will need him to if a few things fall into place.

Agree 100% that our two "best" players next year [or at least, our two leading scorers] are likely going to be Brandon and CJ.

Very few players average 20 under JB. Seriously, who has in the last 25 years? Melo, Wallace, Owens, Moten...anyone else? DC never did, did he?

DJ, if you round up. 19.8 as a senior. And Hak.

No.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not sure what CJ's ceiling is or if he is more of an excellent role player. A bigger version of Pace, if you will. Would not be surprised if MCW and Triche are the best players.

2. Syracuse Orange

While the focus is on losing Kris Joseph, Fab Melo, Scoop Jardine and Dion Waiters from a Syracuse-record, 34-win team, the Orange return Brandon Triche, who could average 20 points per game, point guard Michael Carter-Williams and shooter Trevor Cooney -- all terrific perimeter talents.
Baseline talents include lefty C.J. Fair and freshman wing Jerami Grant. Inside, Rakeem Christmas can block shots and rebound, and DaJuan Coleman will anchor the middle. Syracuse will lack experience but not talent.

- From Jay Bilas

2. Syracuse Orange

While the focus is on losing Kris Joseph, Fab Melo, Scoop Jardine and Dion Waiters from a Syracuse-record, 34-win team, the Orange return Brandon Triche, who could average 20 points per game, point guard Michael Carter-Williams and shooter Trevor Cooney -- all terrific perimeter talents.
Baseline talents include lefty C.J. Fair and freshman wing Jerami Grant. Inside, Rakeem Christmas can block shots and rebound, and DaJuan Coleman will anchor the middle. Syracuse will lack experience but not talent.

- From Jay Bilas
I'm skeptical about anything Bilas has to say because he spends way too much time actually following college basketball.

As a Triche fan I would like to say YES; and having Bilas in ESPNinsider say Triche may be score 20 pts a game gives credence...but I think between 15-17 pts will be max...other scorers on team and 'Cuse will be sooooo good will not need to play 30+ minutes every game. Look to CJ, Dirty, and MCW to score also...and others too.

Don't a guard has ever averaged 20 ppg under JB.

Here are the highest scoring averages for a season I could find for guards in the Boeheim Era...didn't take a lot of time, might have missed someone.

Sherman 88-89 18.2
Flynn 08-09: 17.4
Pearl 85-86: 17.3
Sherman 86-87 17.3
Gmac 03-04: 17.2
Devendorf 07-08: 17.0
Autry 93-94: 16.7
Sherman 87-88: 16.1
Gmac 05-06: 16.0
DeShaun Williams 01-02: 15.9

I don't think it is likely a guard will ever average 20 ppg playing in the context of the JB offense. It is too balanced and too forward centric for this to happen.

Would have to be really unusual circumstances...a special, really talented guard and a really weak supporting cast for this to happen.

I think BT will end up about 15 ppg.

As a Triche fan I would like to say YES; and having Bilas in ESPNinsider say Triche may be score 20 pts a game gives credence...but I think between 15-17 pts will be max...other scorers on team and 'Cuse will be sooooo good will not need to play 30+ minutes every game. Look to CJ, Dirty, and MCW to score also...and others too.
Bilas said "could", not will or maybe but could. He is just describing Triche's talent/ability. He has the outside shot and can drive plus his defense at the top of the zone make for easy breakway points. Even stepping up in a leadership role, I think that 15 ppg is more realistic, 17 possible but unlikely.

There is a zero percent chance that Triche (or anybody else on Syracuse) averages 20 points a game. To have one person who scores 20 you have to have several players that dont score because there is a limit of how many points a team can put up on average - and that limit is right around 80.

For example, when Melo averaged over 20 for us, Forth was in the rotation who didn't score, McNeil was in the rotation who didnt score, even Pace really didn't score much during the regular season (he picked it up during the tournament). And Edelin missed a good chunk of the year. So there was a lot of room for Melo to get his points.

This year's team has 7 scorers (hopefully) out of an 8 man rotation. With the only non-scorer being Kieta the back up center (who may not even play that much if Christmas blows up and ends up getting minutes at both the 4 and 5).

With 7 guys capable of putting up 10 on any given night there is no room for anybody to score 20. I'd be surprised if anybody on the team averaged 15.

No. And honestly, I see Cooney averaging 15 before I see Brandon close to 20.

2. Syracuse Orange

- From Jay Bilas

I have a man-crush on Bilas, but in this instance, he's being lazy and just had to fill a blurb about SU. Triche averaging 20 ppg simply isn't realistic on any level. 13-14 ppg is probably his ceiling.

There is a zero percent chance that Triche (or anybody else on Syracuse) averages 20 points a game. To have one person who scores 20 you have to have several players that dont score because there is a limit of how many points a team can put up on average - and that limit is right around 80.

For example, when Melo averaged over 20 for us, Forth was in the rotation who didn't score, McNeil was in the rotation who didnt score, even Pace really didn't score much during the regular season (he picked it up during the tournament). And Edelin missed a good chunk of the year. So there was a lot of room for Melo to get his points.

This year's team has 7 scorers (hopefully) out of an 8 man rotation. With the only non-scorer being Kieta the back up center (who may not even play that much if Christmas blows up and ends up getting minutes at both the 4 and 5).

With 7 guys capable of putting up 10 on any given night there is no room for anybody to score 20. I'd be surprised if anybody on the team averaged 15.

That's right--balanced team with lots of scoring pop generally isn't a formula for one player needed to be the scoring anchor.

I know we have a lot of players who will be ascending into bigger roles this year [CJ, Triche, Southerland, MCW, etc.], but I have a difficult time not envisioning next year's team having pretty balanced scoring, with several players capable of going for 20+ any given game [just like last year].

On an unrelated note, we're going to have a lot of size, as well--Coleman / Rak / experienced Keita is a nice group of bigs to work with. Factor in the versatility of CJ / Southerland / Grant at forward, and that has the makings of one of the top frontcourts in the nation, if not THE best.

Brandon has the ability to put up 25+ points but at the same time you might see a game where he scores less than 10. To date, he has not shown at any time that he has a "scorers mentality". Bilas stated on more than one occasion last year, to paraphrase " Brandon Triche may be the best player on this team".

Brandon is somewhat enigmatic and it's never certain what you are going to get from him on any given gameday. I'm hoping that now that he is a more crucial component of the team than he has been in years past, coupled with the fact that he will be in a position of leadership that we'll see a better version of Brandon than we've seen in years past. He certainly has the tools and ability, it's the consistentcy of his demeanor that remains to be seen.

No. And honestly, I see Cooney averaging 15 before I see Brandon close to 20.

That would be an interesting bet. I think Triche will be about 15 and Cooney 8-10.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I can see Brandon getting 14, mw 11, and cooney around 7-8. Gives us about 33 from back court. I can see Coleman, rak, and bmk getting about 22 between them. And dirty and Cj about 18 to 20 between them. Grant not sure if much. Would put us around 73 a game.

In JB's 36 years at the helm, only six players have ever averaged more than 20 ppg in a season (Owens, Moten, Wallace, Shumpert, Anthony, Warrick). No player has ever done it twice. In his short term here, Roy Danforth matched this record.

Of course Dave Bing did it all three years he was at SU. If Brandon achieves such a milestone, he will join the most elete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom