Can Brandon play himself into the draft ? | Syracusefan.com

Can Brandon play himself into the draft ?

Can Brandon play himself into the draft?

• Total voters

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Personally, I think he has all the tools physically. I think the key is between his ears. I'm not sure that he can be assertive enough on the floor without charging and losing control.

He's built like a linebacker and had some impressive dunks over people in the last couple seasons. His 3 point shooting form is very good. He seems like he could either explode this year - or else be just the same. Hard to tell with Brandon because he's a quiet kid, and maybe doesn't have that swagger.

In any event, we know that he will be a very good player on this team next year. Will he be the leader ? Will he be the go-to guy? Only time will tell. Let's have your vote.

Good, solid player, but don't see him as an NBA type. He isn't a good enough shooter to make up for his lack of ball skills. If he could combine his skills with those of Andy Rautins, you'd have a solid bench/ rotation player.

Doesn't mean he won't help us win a lot of games.

Good, solid player, but don't see him as an NBA type. He isn't a good enough shooter to make up for his lack of ball skills. If he could combine his skills with those of Andy Rautins, you'd have a solid bench/ rotation player.

Doesn't mean he won't help us win a lot of games.

Tend to agree with this. He is going to be a very, very good player for us this year. And I bet that similar to DNic's senior year, all of the talk about him "between the ears" will evaporate pretty quickly once he demonstrates that he is one of the top focal points of the offense next season.

But like DNic, I see him as a marginal NBA prospect [no knock on Triche]. Could he make it--absolutely, but I see him kind of like Scoop / Kris / Rick J. as a guy who is a fine college player and capable of making a lot of $$$ playing professionally, but more likely as an overseas type. And there isn't anything wrong with that.

Absolutely he can. I would love to see him get consistent with his three point shot. Setting his feet and not moving side to side when he elevates is his biggest problem.

I'd like to know what the previous poster meant about his lack of ball skills. I don't recall ever seeing him have a problem breaking down the guard on him. He does tend to throw some passes where his teammates may not be or have the athletic ability to get to, but dribbling doesn't seem to be an issue. He also needs to keep working on making sure that he doesn't charge. He's so strong that he often gets that counted against him.

Personally, I think he has all the tools physically. I think the key is between his ears. I'm not sure that he can be assertive enough on the floor without charging and losing control.

He's built like a linebacker and had some impressive dunks over people in the last couple seasons. His 3 point shooting form is very good. He seems like he could either explode this year - or else be just the same. Hard to tell with Brandon because he's a quiet kid, and maybe doesn't have that swagger.

In any event, we know that he will be a very good player on this team next year. Will he be the leader ? Will he be the go-to guy? Only time will tell. Let's have your vote.
Brannon holds himself back by disappearing during games. If he sats focused and takes the shot whenits there for the taking he will get into the draft. With his body type he has the strength and ability to be a big time pro at the guard spots.

it will interesting to see how triche takes on the role of senior leader. the irony is that triche will need to tell his younger mates to keep their heads up after they make poor decisions, while hanging his own head is one of brandon's more obvious flaws.

triche has the ability, and boeheim seems to think he is one of the best players on the team. brandon just needs to remained focused, confident, and stay positive during games when things aren't going well.

He will be the classic SU star senior... a very good college player who just isn't meant for the NBA.

I think he is already in the draft. The question is whether he can play himself up into the first round.

He may lack a bit of quickness and, of course, there is the mental thing, but guys with PG skills & his strength & size don't grow on trees. No question he gets drafted.

I think he is already in the draft. The question is whether he can play himself up into the first round.

He may lack a bit of quickness and, of course, there is the mental thing, but guys with PG skills & his strength & size don't grow on trees. No question he gets drafted.

I'm not sure; he's obviously really strong, but I am not sure he has the quickness to be a PG at the NBA level.

Hmm the funny thing is him and Dion have similar strong builds at the guard spot, and some might argue that he has a better jumper than Dion, however, whatever he lacks that Dion has, is the difference from playing overseas and being a potential lottery pick.

Hmm the funny thing is him and Dion have similar strong builds at the guard spot, and some might argue that he has a better jumper than Dion, however, whatever he lacks that Dion has, is the difference from playing overseas and being a potential lottery pick.

Dion, to me, seems to be much more elusive than Brandon. Brandon seems to be kinda mechanical as a player, if that makes any sense

Absolutely he can. I would love to see him get consistent with his three point shot. Setting his feet and not moving side to side when he elevates is his biggest problem.

I'd like to know what the previous poster meant about his lack of ball skills. I don't recall ever seeing him have a problem breaking down the guard on him. He does tend to throw some passes where his teammates may not be or have the athletic ability to get to, but dribbling doesn't seem to be an issue. He also needs to keep working on making sure that he doesn't charge. He's so strong that he often gets that counted against him.

His bread and butter for bringing the ball up court is change of pace, race to a spot and then stop, then start etc. This would not work in the NBA. I used to hold my breath when he brought the ball up court. Last year showed marked improvement, but still no where as solid as Scoop. MCW also has room for improvement bringing the ball up court. He exhibits the same stop and go desperation technique. The ball handler should be in complete control. Desperation dashes should be unnecessary. Billy E could have walked the ball up court with ease. Same for Z or any of our great ball handlers.

i've come across only one mock draft that has triche being drafted (nbadraft.net has him going 55th). there seems to be a consensus that guys like elijah johnson, dexter stickland, kenny boynton, ray mccallum, and even peyton siva are ahead of triche.

I'd like his chances better if he didn't already have 107 chances to "wow" us previously. How many times has his game jumped off the court at you? What would "wow" a scout watching him? Seems like a nice kid..occasionally has really nice games?

Like KJo, there will be too much tape on him, showing his glaring weaknesses.

I love Brandon as a player and as a person, but if he was going to play in the NBA, he'd be in the NBA already.

He absolutely doesn't have a good enough handle to break down NBA guys. As strong as he is, he looks awkward at times when he attempts to get to the basket, even against smaller guys. Is this something he can work on and improve? Absolutely, but until he shows it you can't exactly count on it. A guy like Devendorf was tremendous at getting to--and finishing at the hoop. I'm not trying to knock the kid, I expect big things from him this year, but he at times seems almost robotic.

I love Brandon as a player and as a person, but if he was going to play in the NBA, he'd be in the NBA already.
exactly especially in this era, if you make it to your senior year at a top program, you most likely will not be in the NBA

I think BT's going to have a big year. At the college level, he's a mismatch for opposing guards because of his 3-like body. At his size (I'm guessing he's 220+, substantially bigger than his listed weight), he can slash to create his own (mid-range) shot or drive inside, yet he has enough outside range (35% from 3) to keep college defenders from cheating back. At the other end of the floor, he's been our best perimeter defender for the past couple of seasons.

At the pro level..., Brandon might suffer from the 'tweener' syndrome. He does have the physique to play guard in the NBA (he reminds me of a taller Derrick Fisher). But which guard spot and what could he bring to get into an NBA rotation? I don't see him at the point -- not enough speed or explosion, and not a proven distributor. At the 2, I don't see him as a volume scorer and he lacks the height and outside range to be a serious threat in the NBA. Conversely, on defense, he's not tall enough to intimidate pro SG's, and I think there will be some initial questions about his lateral quickness and ability to stay in front of the ball. These questions will be answered in team workouts and/or the combine after next season, but I think his pro fate may have been sealed when the SU staff moved him to shooting guard.

I have no idea if he will be drafted as the NBA is a cloudy mystery to me, but if Brandon is the new standard (along with Rautins) of the lunch pail, work-a-day, role player for Syracuse then our program is in great shape. He's a very high quality player to have never been thought of as even a top 3 guy on the team at any point in his career.

I have no idea if he will be drafted as the NBA is a cloudy mystery to me, but if Brandon is the new standard (along with Rautins) of the lunch pail, work-a-day, role player for Syracuse then our program is in great shape. He's a very high quality player to have never been thought of as even a top 3 guy on the team at any point in his career.

Very well said. I hope we get one of him a year for a long time to come. The best part of college basketball is seeing kids like Brandon grow over the years into something we really couldn't even imagine when they started on the Hill.

I think BT's going to have a big year. At the college level, he's a mismatch for opposing guards because of his 3-like body. At his size (I'm guessing he's 220+, substantially bigger than his listed weight), he can slash to create his own (mid-range) shot or drive inside, yet he has enough outside range (35% from 3) to keep college defenders from cheating back. At the other end of the floor, he's been our best perimeter defender for the past couple of seasons.

At the pro level..., Brandon might suffer from the 'tweener' syndrome. He does have the physique to play guard in the NBA (he reminds me of a taller Derrick Fisher). But which guard spot and what could he bring to get into an NBA rotation? I don't see him at the point -- not enough speed or explosion, and not a proven distributor. At the 2, I don't see him as a volume scorer or consistent outside threat (like Fisher) at NBA range. Defensively, he's not tall enough to intimidate pro SG's, and I think there will be concern about his lateral quickness and ability to stay in front of the ball. This will come out in team workouts and/or the combine after next season.

I also worry about his distance from 3. Seems like those times he's been in MSG and shoots from behind the NBA three they typically aren't close. He would really need to work on that in order to be considered a decent 2 on the next level. But that's also just more practice. But he will have to show some of that this year in order to get the looks next year.

I also worry about his distance from 3. Seems like those times he's been in MSG and shoots from behind the NBA three they typically aren't close. He would really need to work on that in order to be considered a decent 2 on the next level. But that's also just more practice. But he will have to show some of that this year in order to get the looks next year.

I think it's going to depend heavily on his competition in next year's draft. But comparing him to this year's prospects, it's hard to see him getting picked. He's got the body -- good (not elite) strength/athleticism and he can penetrate at the college level. But he's not a volume scorer like most (shorter) NBA shooting guards -- D. Wade at the elite level, or in this year's draft -- Austin Rivers or Dion Waiters. Nor is he a long-range bomber like a Brad Beal or J. Lamb. I just don't know if he has the explosion or any extra-special talent to his game to help him -- at 6'3/4 -- fit at the next level -- expecially when guys like DJO and Buford (even Lamb) are being listed as second rounders.
http://www.mynbadraft.com/2012-NBA-Mock-Draft-Round-2 (all 3 2nd round)
http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft (has Lamb going in 1st round, DJO/Buford in 2nd)

I say 1O0% aint happening. Hes not an nba player, he will play for pay somewhere else.

BT has been and will be solid for us, but where does he find the extra gear in his senior year? It helps that he will gain some minutes, and be looked to for more scoring. But it isn't like Nichols or Rautins where the improvement came as a skinny frosh got stronger year over year or like Laz Sims who didn't get a real opportunity until his upperclass years. BT will need to add the quickness to get past his defender or get his own shot. Hard to add that dimension as a senior.

BT has been and will be solid for us, but where does he find the extra gear in his senior year? It helps that he will gain some minutes, and be looked to for more scoring. But it isn't like Nichols or Rautins where the improvement came as a skinny frosh got stronger year over year or like Laz Sims who didn't get a real opportunity until his upperclass years. BT will need to add the quickness to get past his defender or get his own shot. Hard to add that dimension as a senior.

One dimension he will be able to add is: shot attempts, and being one of the main focal points of the offense. He has the tools, he has the talent. He's been a complimentary scorer up until this point, and will have to shoulder more of the offensive load as a senior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom