Can college basketball avoid a repeat of college football's calamity? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can college basketball avoid a repeat of college football's calamity?

unlikely.jpg

There is no way the schools and/or the NCAA will execute this as seamlessly as the NBA. They aren't smart enough and are too cheap.

Have an ACC bubble from December to mid January.
Find a location.

18 games over 36 days.
Then a conference tournament to end.
If they chose Syracuse you could play 2 games at the Dome at the same time and use the Melo Center as a 3rd venue stage games.

You need a venue where 3 games could realistically be played at one time.

All schools would be out of classes from December to mid January. So no missed class time.

The NCAA tournament could be in a bubble in March.
Those among us that have attended Jim Boeheim's Big Orange Basketball Camp know that you can play 10(!) games at one time in the Dome. Heck, let's invite the Big East to come home!?!

Feel like they should just go “AAU style” and have each team’s season be a series of tournaments they run bubble style every few weeks, culiminating in the NCAA/NIT tourneys.

I.E. - We really want to see what happens when students get back onto campuses and start partying in basements.
We've already seen that picture at UNC! Ain't a pretty site. Covid infection rate (overall) up 20% and the kids just got back!

Good idea but the 18 games in 36 days is just a bit too much. Not to mention it really takes coaching prep out of the equation. I can live with that to get the season over with. But I do worry about injuries with that many games in such a short time span. You might want to extend that to the end of January. the learning will likely be remote anyway.
Playing so many games every day over a relatively short time would greatly reduce the financial gain. Especially if all conferences went the same way. NCAA tournament itself only plays 18 games at most on 1 day.

Another case where individuals REFUSE to accept the consequences of their actions! You would have to haved lived in a bubble or on the moon to have not heard parties aren't the thing to do during a pandemic. So the author chooses to blame the university. What about all the students and parents DEMANDING the right to attend classes? They have no responsibility?

ACC bubble in Greensboro. This is being kept top secret.

There is no way the schools and/or the NCAA will execute this as seamlessly as the NBA. They aren't smart enough and are too cheap.
The NBA and NHL are making it work for playoffs.

Regular season? A whole different animal. Silver said yesterday the starting date for next season will likely be pushed back. They're obviously hoping for a breakthrough on the medical front, and the longer they wait, the greater the possibility of vaccine/therapeutics.

We'll have some results from the football experiments within the next couple of months. Those outcomes will advise all sports going forward.

As to your original point--most colleges don't have the resources to emulate the pro models.

They might be sleeping in their own beds.
if its a bubble the only way they sleep in their own beds is if they bring their beds to the bubble housing.

Have an ACC bubble from December to mid January.
Find a location.

18 games over 36 days.
Then a conference tournament to end.
If they chose Syracuse you could play 2 games at the Dome at the same time and use the Melo Center as a 3rd venue stage games.

You need a venue where 3 games could realistically be played at one time.

All schools would be out of classes from December to mid January. So no missed class time.

The NCAA tournament could be in a bubble in March.
do they drop out of school for 36 days? take exams during time outs?

do they drop out of school for 36 days? take exams during time outs?
I said between semester.
Syracuse and most schools are going to be done with the fall semester at Thanksgiving.
Second semester doesn’t start till the Tuesday after MLK Jr. Holiday.
Thus as I said
Do the bubble from December to mid-January.

How are they supposed to be taking exams when their are no classes on campus during the time between semester?

You didn’t read my post.

yo're right, i did not read the whole post.

I said between semester.
Syracuse and most schools are going to be done with the fall semester at Thanksgiving.
Second semester doesn’t start till the Tuesday after MLK Jr. Holiday.
Thus as I said
Do the bubble from December to mid-January.

How are they supposed to be taking exams when their are no classes on campus during the time between semester?

You didn’t read my post.
I love the idea. I just think they may need to go a few weeks with online learning and stretch out time between games. 18 games in 36 days is just too much to ask.

I love the idea. I just think they may need to go a few weeks with online learning and stretch out time between games. 18 games in 36 days is just too much to ask.
Problem--coordination among the P5 (6). I know at least some of the Pac-12 schools use the quarters system, and they might not be the only ones. If different conferences are on different schedules. . .

Problem--coordination among the P5 (6). I know at least some of the Pac-12 schools use the quarters system, and they might not be the only ones. If different conferences are on different schedules. . .
At this stage, I just want to get our ACC schedule in. Anything else is gravy.

Does anyone know what year the 20 game ACC season begins? Too lazy to search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom