Can Gmac close | Syracusefan.com

Can Gmac close

kcsu

Living Legend
Dean, others in the know. Can Gmac close? We seem to have alot of recruits with him as our lead recruiter.

upload_2016-7-9_9-24-23.png

upload_2016-7-9_9-36-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-9_9-31-50.png
    upload_2016-7-9_9-31-50.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 57
Gmac, has a great personality and presence. He is a high energy person and is good at creating win-win relationships.
What more, in terms of recruiting, could you want from an assistant coach?

Here's hoping because GMac has a good portion of the future of our program in his hands right now with the dudes he's recruiting. But if Syracuse basketball ever needed somebody to come through in the clutch - the guy we'd all pick for the job is Gerry.

Here's hoping because GMac has a good portion of the future of our program in his hands right now with the dudes he's recruiting. But if Syracuse basketball ever needed somebody to come through in the clutch - the guy we'd all pick for the job is Gerry.

We couldn't recruit Ten f@%$!^% guys without GMac!! NOT TEN! ;)

Dean, others in the know. Can Gmac close? We seem to have alot of recruits with him as our lead recruiter.
I still remember his fishing sabbaticals. He never came off as a hard worker during the off-season. Most guys who have been in our program all 4 years were noticeably stronger and more physically developed by years 3 and 4. GMac still looked like a pudgy white guy, just a few pounds heavier than his frosh year. Disclaimer: I'm not saying he should have bulked up like Mr. Shaky Potatoes -- we now have tangible evidence that it really messes with your shooting mechanics.

FrancoPizza said:
I still remember his fishing sabbaticals. He never came off as a hard worker during the off-season. Most guys who have been in our program all 4 years were noticeably stronger and more physically developed by years 3 and 4. GMac still looked like a pudgy white guy, just a few pounds heavier than his frosh year. Disclaimer: I'm not saying he should have bulked up like Mr. Shaky Potatoes -- we now have tangible evidence that it really messes with your shooting mechanics.
So what are you saying then? Other than taking a cheap shot at one of the best players to wear Orange? Who stuck around by the way to coach here because he bleeds orange...get bent

Gerry was so beat up by the end of each season, the kid needed some R & R. Have you any idea how much hard work it is to get to the level he did in basketball? He wasn't tall and he wasn't the best athlete. He had to work his ass off to get there. Questioning his work ethic makes you look foolish.

Gerry was so beat up by the end of each season, the kid needed some R & R. Have you any idea how much hard work it is to get to the level he did in basketball? He wasn't tall and he wasn't the best athlete. He had to work his ass off to get there. Questioning his work ethic makes you look foolish.

Gmac would be the very last su player that I would question his work ethics, the kid was a gamer, and gave us everything he had.

So the kid goes on a few fishing trips and he automatically 'never came off as a hard worker during the off-season' Got it.

I don't think you'll ever find a harder worker than GMac.

Ahh, the rarely seen double cheapshot, taking down GMac and Cooney in the same post.

Gmac would be the very last su player that I would question his work ethics, the kid was a gamer, and gave us everything he had.
When the season rolled in, for sure, he was a fierce competitor and let it all hang out every night. The pain he endured during the iconic big east tournament run and the days leading up to A&M is perhaps his greatest testament of valor. But all that being said, there were many posters who questioned if he was making the best use of his summer vacation. Maybe the doctors ordered him on bed rest, who knows.

Anyway, back on topic, the fact remains that he is more or less unproven as a closer compared to autry and hop. he's being trusted with so many critical leads in 2017 - and I don't really know what to make of it.

When the season rolled in, for sure, he was a fierce competitor and let it all hang out every night. The pain he endured during the iconic big east tournament run and the days leading up to A&M is perhaps his greatest testament of valor. But all that being said, there were many posters who questioned if he was making the best use of his summer vacation. Maybe the doctors ordered him on bed rest, who knows.

Anyway, back on topic, the fact remains that he is more or less unproven as a closer compared to autry and hop. he's being trusted with so many critical leads in 2017 - and I don't really know what to make of it.
What I make of it is that JB has a lot of confidence in GMac's ability to deliver.

Great player great guy not sure that equals a great recruiter. Personally i think that he may lack the separation between being viewed as more of a friendly peer than a respected coach.

He hasn't had as many opportunities as Hop or Red to close on a recruit. Unless I am completely brain dead from reading all the pages in the TT and AW threads Gmac closed on Matt Moyer. "How you like them apples?!" Also it was 14 years ago but I remember hearing that during preseason 5 on 5 games Gerry and Edelin would never lose no matter who they were teamed with. Obviously talent is part of that but desire and competitiveness is also pretty big factor. That will carry over into coaching imo! Gerry isn't going to go down without a fight with his recruits.

Great player great guy not sure that equals a great recruiter. Personally i think that he may lack the separation between being viewed as more of a friendly peer than a respected coach.
Let's be real here. Gerry wasn't brought on to the staff because of his car commercial experience. JB did him a favor. Granted, we all need to catch a break when it comes to landing our first gig. I believe Hop had more seasoning before he was turned loose on the recruiting trails. Is it possible that JB promoted Gerry a bit prematurely because of his pending retirement? These are legitimate questions.

Francis, is there any way to break down which assistants are on which recruits?

Let's be real here. Gerry wasn't brought on to the staff because of his car commercial experience. JB did him a favor. Granted, we all need to catch a break when it comes to landing our first gig. I believe Hop had more seasoning before he was turned loose on the recruiting trails. Is it possible that JB promoted Gerry a bit prematurely because of his pending retirement? These are legitimate questions.

Francis, is there any way to break down which assistants are on which recruits?
No. He hired GMAC, because he knows that he will be a great coach. And, it is beneficial to have guys like GMAC on the road recruiting, because kids know who he is, and he can relate to them better than an older coach. In the meantime, he is establishing relationships with AAU and high school coaches along the way. There was nothing premature about hiring GMAC. We have a great group of coaches.

No. He hired GMAC, because he knows that he will be a great coach.
That's taking an optimistic view and is not really addressing the question. There's no way to know if a player is destined to be a great coach until they've demonstrated it through experience. It's why we've always been harping on the football side to hire a proven HC. It's why many are clamoring for Hop to break his chops somewhere else first. For JB to "know" anything about Gerry's prospects is pure speculation. Gerry I'm sure has proven that he can help run drills in practice and give pep talks to the players. That doesn't prove that he can be a great recruiter, which is the main thrust of the OP. He's still a relatively unknown commodity compared to the older assistants. We don't need him to be a great coach - that falls on Hop first and foremost. We need Gerry to be a great recruiter if he's trusted with this responsibility. Until he can close on some big names, many of us have every right to take a wait-and-see attitude.

That's taking an optimistic view and is not really addressing the question. There's no way to know if a player is destined to be a great coach until they've demonstrated it through experience. It's why we've always been harping on the football side to hire a proven HC. It's why many are clamoring for Hop to break his chops somewhere else first. For JB to "know" anything about Gerry's prospects is pure speculation. Gerry I'm sure has proven that he can help run drills in practice and give pep talks to the players. That doesn't prove that he can be a great recruiter, which is the main thrust of the OP. He's still a relatively unknown commodity compared to the older assistants. We don't need him to be a great coach - that falls on Hop first and foremost. We need Gerry to be a great recruiter if he's trusted with this responsibility. Until he can close on some big names, many of us have every right to take a wait-and-see attitude.
Head coach is a bit different than an assistant coach. I think coaches can spot coaches, particularly when they have coached them for four years, and they see how they prepare and interact with the other players. JB and Hop weren't exactly flying blind here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom