Can Gmac close | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can Gmac close

Head coach is a bit different than an assistant coach. I think coaches can spot coaches, particularly when they have coached them for four years, and they see how they prepare and interact with the other players. JB and Hop weren't exactly flying blind here.
Exactly. JB recruited him, coached him, and has overseen his development as a coach. He has also spoken and written glowingly of GMac's character, competitiveness and great potential as a coach. I will go with JB's assessment over that of some random posters on a message board.

G-Mac hit six threes in the national championship game as a freshman and his performance in the BET as a senior was legendary. If being recruited by someone like that doesn't do it for you, you're playing the wrong sport.

G-Mac hit six threes in the national championship game as a freshman and his performance in the BET as a senior was legendary. If being recruited by someone like that doesn't do it for you, you're playing the wrong sport.
why should we expect today's high school players to even remember GMacs playing career? When he played here today's hot shot recruits were at most 6-7 years old.

why should we expect today's high school players to even remember GMacs playing career? When he played here today's hot shot recruits were at most 6-7 years old.
They can google it very easily. A tiny bit of research by the prospect will help us a ton.

Edit: The first three things that came up in a search on Youtube were: 2006 Big East Tournament, Gerry McNamara Syracuse Highlights and Jim Boeheim Uncensored - not ten games. It is pretty easy to find out how much impact Gerry has had on Syracuse and Scranton.

Let's be real here. Gerry wasn't brought on to the staff because of his car commercial experience. JB did him a favor. Granted, we all need to catch a break when it comes to landing our first gig. I believe Hop had more seasoning before he was turned loose on the recruiting trails. Is it possible that JB promoted Gerry a bit prematurely because of his pending retirement? These are legitimate questions.

Francis, is there any way to break down which assistants are on which recruits?
GMac
Q. Green, Hami Diallo, Lonnie Walker, Brandon Randolph, Jordan Tucker, Jose Alvarado, Alex O'Connell. 2018 Cam Reddish.

Red
Nick Richards, Bourama Sidibe, Matt Coleman, Simi Shittu, Alex O'Connell. 2018 Jalen Smith, Brandon Slater.

Hop
Ethan Thompson. 2018 Naz Reid, Lou King.

They can google it very easily. A tiny bit of research by the prospect will help us a ton.
If our sales pitch asks them to do a Google homework assignment then we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

GMac
Q. Green, Hami Diallo, Lonnie Walker, Brandon Randolph, Jordan Tucker, Jose Alvarado, Alex O'Connell. 2018 Cam Reddish.

Red
Nick Richards, Bourama Sidibe, Matt Coleman, Simi Shittu, Alex O'Connell. 2018 Jalen Smith, Brandon Slater.

Hop
Ethan Thompson. 2018 Naz Reid, Lou King.
Awesome breakdown! Any reason hop is not in charge of more leads?

Awesome breakdown! Any reason hop is not in charge of more leads?
As others have mentioned here before, the plan is to groom GMac into the lead recruiter role once Hop becomes the HC. The 2017 class is all about G building up that resume and landing us some good talent. Ron Patterson needs to be a distant memory off his list and needs to be replaced by several of the studs mentioned above.

As others have mentioned here before, the plan is to groom GMac into the lead recruiter role once Hop becomes the HC. The 2017 class is all about G building up that resume and landing us some good talent. Ron Patterson needs to be a distant memory off his list and needs to be replaced by several of the studs mentioned above.
Any particular reason they chose gmac over red? Are they thinking red will move on at some point?

Any particular reason they chose gmac over red? Are they thinking red will move on at some point?

Francis might have more to add, but I understand a major reason is that McNamara's expected to be on the staff for longer.

Won't be long before someone wants Autry to be a head coach, and we don't want to set ourselves up to replace our primary recruiter so soon.

Let's be real here. Gerry wasn't brought on to the staff because of his car commercial experience. JB did him a favor. Granted, we all need to catch a break when it comes to landing our first gig. I believe Hop had more seasoning before he was turned loose on the recruiting trails. Is it possible that JB promoted Gerry a bit prematurely because of his pending retirement? These are legitimate questions.

Francis, is there any way to break down which assistants are on which recruits?

GMac is the #3 assistant. Do you expect JB's staff to be composed of Popovich, Steve Kerr, and Coach K?

GMac is the #3 assistant. Do you expect JB's staff to be composed of Popovich, Steve Kerr, and Coach K?
He may be "#3" but he's responsible for all the 2017 big hitters sans Richards. It's not even close. The way it was divvied up you'd think red is gone next year.

That's taking an optimistic view and is not really addressing the question. There's no way to know if a player is destined to be a great coach until they've demonstrated it through experience. It's why we've always been harping on the football side to hire a proven HC. It's why many are clamoring for Hop to break his chops somewhere else first. For JB to "know" anything about Gerry's prospects is pure speculation. Gerry I'm sure has proven that he can help run drills in practice and give pep talks to the players. That doesn't prove that he can be a great recruiter, which is the main thrust of the OP. He's still a relatively unknown commodity compared to the older assistants. We don't need him to be a great coach - that falls on Hop first and foremost. We need Gerry to be a great recruiter if he's trusted with this responsibility. Until he can close on some big names, many of us have every right to take a wait-and-see attitude.

“I think it’s a combination of fine-tuning and confidence,” said Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins, who credited colleague Gerry McNamara with doing the daily work on Gbinije’s jumper. “I always say: There’s a shooter, and there’s the mind of a shooter. Coaches have had to do better with building confidence instead of subtracting it.”

Warriors' small-ball revolution continues to change recruiting game

Just came across this story. Assistant coaches don't just recruit. They actually coach.

Green is the test. We were first on him. Kid loves cuse. Gmac needs to close him. No excuse not to land him regardless of duke or Kentucky.
JB is grooming him to become the lead recruiter even though his resume is pretty sparse at the moment, which I think is a huge risk. Wish they would take a wait-and-see if he can close on the big names in 2017 before designating him the heir apparent to Hop's role.

JB is grooming him to become the lead recruiter even though his resume is pretty sparse at the moment, which I think is a huge risk. Wish they would take a wait-and-see if he can close on the big names in 2017 before designating him the heir apparent to Hop's role.

What difference does it make? All the assistants have to recruit. Who else would be the lead recruiter?

What difference does it make? All the assistants have to recruit. Who else would be the lead recruiter?
The difference is the fate of 2017 rests primarily on gmac. Our most experienced and proven assistants are not on the biggest fish which just seems risky. I'm sure many of us thought Louis Orr was going to do "just fine". That became a dark chapter in Syracuse basketball. And that's the problem with bad recruiting - it usually takes a few cycles to recognize that someone isn't cutting it. And by that point, we're talking about 3 or 4 NITs before the ship can get righted.

The difference is the fate of 2017 rests primarily on gmac. Our most experienced and proven assistants are not on the biggest fish which just seems risky. I'm sure many of us thought Louis Orr was going to do "just fine". That became a dark chapter in Syracuse basketball. And that's the problem with bad recruiting - it usually takes a few cycles to recognize that someone isn't cutting it. And by that point, we're talking about 3 or 4 NITs before the ship can get righted.
upload_2016-7-15_12-15-15.jpeg

You do realize that a recruit's final decision is likely based on more than the efforts of his primary recruiter, do you not? And how, exactly, would you ever be able to attribute the loss of a recruit to the efforts of the recruiter?

You do realize that a recruit's final decision is likely based on more than the efforts of his primary recruiter, do you not? And how, exactly, would you ever be able to attribute the loss of a recruit to the efforts of the recruiter?
You would know if the recruiter strikes out on multiple targets... but by then, it's too late.

You would know if the recruiter strikes out on multiple targets... but by then, it's too late.
Too late for what? Why should one assume another recruiter would have produced different results? Who do you propose we have out there recruiting then?

I still remember his fishing sabbaticals. He never came off as a hard worker during the off-season. Most guys who have been in our program all 4 years were noticeably stronger and more physically developed by years 3 and 4. GMac still looked like a pudgy white guy, just a few pounds heavier than his frosh year. Disclaimer: I'm not saying he should have bulked up like Mr. Shaky Potatoes -- we now have tangible evidence that it really messes with your shooting mechanics.
whose this goombah think he his??

taking shots at a couple of micks??

line crossed.

only us micks can take shots at a couple of micks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom