Can Someone Explain Why Cooney is Playing? | Syracusefan.com

Can Someone Explain Why Cooney is Playing?

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
I guess it's because JB thinks he needs 3 guards come NCAA time and he's getting him minutes. Is that it?

Experience for the future and he didn't play too badly today. I mean he had, what, 8 points? I'll take that from a redshirt freshman Cooney. It'll only help in the long run.

Do you think it's realistic to expect Triche and MCW to play 40 minutes a game each? Because that's what would happen if Cooney did not play.

Oh look, another cooney thread. You really can't see why this kid plays?

Oh look, another cooney thread. You really can't see why this kid plays?
Based on his post history on the FB, I'm sure he hasn't clue.

Can Someone Explain Why Cooney is Playing?

Are you interested in Syracuse going to the Final Four? That answer will tell you all you need to know...

I guess it's because JB thinks he needs 3 guards come NCAA time and he's getting him minutes. Is that it?

Dude really? count the guards on this team and there is your answer.

JB said after the game he was out there because we needed some offense. He was also mad at Grant for not getting out on Kilpatrick so gave him the excuse for pulling him. Then he was all over TC for letting Kilpatrick hit another 2 threes. JB wasn't happy in the least that's for sure.

from the sound of JB i don't think we will see that lineup too much he said it takes away from us defensively too much.

In other years people complainthat JB hurt us by not playing guys before they were "ready." Now there are complaints when a guy gets minutes before he's ready. These minutes will he us in march.

Come on...really? Okay, I'll give you some reasons:

1. First, he is the 3rd guard. Playing BT and MCW 40 each is a recipe for disaster.
2. He is the remaining true shooter (JS is the other). He could go off at any time, giving him time now may pay later.
3. Of course development. Same reason for DC2. There will be improvement. Next year they will be so much better.

Because Iggy was right. He is better than Trey Burke.

Kid gives 100%, played well today. Earned what he was given, when he doesn't, he plays less.

Dude really? count the guards on this team and there is your answer.
I buy that. But 18 minutes of offensive & defensive liability? If you take away his banked in three there's not a lot of offense there. I can see giving MCW and Triche a break but I think JB went way too long with him.

I buy that. But 18 minutes of offensive & defensive liability? If you take away his banked in three there's not a lot of offense there. I can see giving MCW and Triche a break but I think JB went way too long with him.
Defensive liability?

The banked in three should have been an and one because he was hit (which was why it banked in...had the perfect view from my seat). He actually isnt a bad defender. He didnt defend that well today but he has been ok defensively this year. I dont see where he has been a defensive liability.

We played a huge game Saturday where our guards played 38 minutes each. TC played 4. Today they needed him to fill minutes and he did that. Tough to ask our starting backcourt to once again play 38 minutes.

I thought sitting MCW for that stretch in the first half helped big time as he was sharp in the second half.

The banked in three should have been an and one because he was hit (which was why it banked in...had the perfect view from my seat). He actually isnt a bad defender. He didnt defend that well today but he has been ok defensively this year. I dont see where he has been a defensive liability.

We played a huge game Saturday where our guards played 38 minutes each. TC played 4. Today they needed him to fill minutes and he did that. Tough to ask our starting backcourt to once again play 38 minutes.

I thought sitting MCW for that stretch in the first half helped big time as he was sharp in the second half.
That makes sense. Defensively, however, it seemed like he didn't get out on some threes the way JB might like. But, that may have just been today.

That makes sense. Defensively, however, it seemed like he didn't get out on some threes the way JB might like. But, that may have just been today.

I dont see him playing 18 minutes Saturday if we are in a close game as we should be well rested.

I thought overall the defense was decent. Cincy scored some monster threes from well beyond NBA range. You can't expect the defense to cover that far out. But Cooney is a much better defender than previous freshmen have been. Hell, he's a better defender than some of our upperclassmen guards have been. He was on the Cincy players like white on rice. His shooting is still suspect but not his D.

well, let's see: Cincy plays a three guard line-up, they packed-in the zone big-time, no one else was scoring for big chunks of the game,he plays good D and there is no one else on the bench who can hit a three

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom