Can Someone Explain Why Cooney is Playing? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can Someone Explain Why Cooney is Playing?

Defensive liability?

JB has stated this on a couple of occasions. he was especially irritated today on not following the game plan of not leaving Kilpatrick. the kid hustles, and does create some steals, but consistently gets beat off the dribble, and is late closing out.

I guess it's because JB thinks he needs 3 guards come NCAA time and he's getting him minutes. Is that it?

After Grant, Cooney is our most improved player so far. I thought he played quite well today. I even liked the few minutes he played against Louisville. His shot selection today was quite decent. I predict he will have some good games this year against some of the lesser BE teams. He will be ready for the postseason, and we will need him.

Interesting though playing a 3 guard offense...but then maybe we'll see that against any good zone defense...especially without JS playing.

After Grant, Cooney is our most improved player so far. I thought he played quite well today. I even liked the few minutes he played against Louisville. His shot selection today was. quite decent. I predict he will have some good games this year against some of the lesser BE teams. He will be ready for the postseason, and we will need him.

if he is playing more then 8 mins a game this year we are in big big big trouble.

His D is good. I got no problems with Cooney right now in this role. Nor do I care when he is on the floor getting minutes.

HOWEVER... I am more than a a little worried that his shot will remain garbage next year and beyond with Triche and MCW gone. I pray that he finds his stroke and can hit 3s regularly. If he doesn't shoot well next year the pressure on Ennis will be enormous.

But Cooney is fine right now I don't really have any issues his all around play is making up for the shaky shooting. But please sort it out mentally Trevor. You can hit contested threes but everyone in the building can see the piss trickle down your knee when you are open and have a second to think about it.

His D is good. I got no problems with Cooney right now in this role. Nor do I care when he is on the floor getting minutes.

HOWEVER... I am more than a a little worried that his shot will remain garbage next year and beyond with Triche and MCW gone. I pray that he finds his stroke and can hit 3s regularly. If he doesn't shoot well next year the pressure on Ennis will be enormous.

But Cooney is fine right now I don't really have any issues his all around play is making up for the shaky shooting. But please sort it out mentally Trevor. You can hit contested threes but everyone in the building can see the piss trickle down your knee when you are open and have a second to think about it.

Eh, he's coming around - 2/5 on 3pt in a tough game. I thought he squared up well and looked balanced when he shot, unlike some of his earlier games.

But I agree, his D is good for a freshman. He's big enough and quick enough to get it done on D.

It's amazing the love affair this board has for the 9th man on the team who is shooting under 30% and even per JB has defensive problems . I guess the reason why is obvious though

Nobody mentions triches clutch performance once again or fairs consistent game, but everyone's quick to point out cooneys great bank shot 3

It's amazing the love affair this board has for the 9th man on the team who is shooting under 30% and even per JB has defensive problems . I guess the reason why is obvious though

Nobody mentions triches clutch performance once again or fairs consistent game, but everyone's quick to point out cooneys great bank shot 3

I'm getting really tired of the dopey attribution about the race card that gets played with Cooney.

The only thing dumber than the perspective espoused above is making the dopey attribution about the race card.
and pretending it's not a factor is looking at it with blinders. I have a lot of Irish friends who all they want to talk about is cooney. Same goes here. Not everyone but it definitely influences some people to give him a pass

tumblr_ll6z9pqvNU1qk74clo1_500.jpg

and pretending it's not a factor is looking at it with blinders. I have a lot of Irish friends who all they want to talk about is cooney. Same goes here. Not everyone but it definitely influences some people to give him a pass

I dont care if he is perry winkle purple and has a dong growing out of his forehead.

As long as we're playing the sweeping generalization game, are all these Irish friends you brought up cops who talk with Irish brogues? Probably not--which is the same reason you shouldn't make attributions about what everybody else thinks based on one or two examples.

No offense, but claiming that the main reason people root for Cooney is because he is white is complete bunk from my perspective. I root for all of our players equally to succeed. Cooney's offensive performance has been subpar--no question. But due to the fact that we only have three scholarship guards on the roster, he's going to have to play. And suggesting that he doesn't bring anything to the table besides shooting is what I'd call looking at it with blinders.

As long as we're playing the sweeping generalization game, are all these Irish friends you brought up cops who talk with Irish brogues? Probably not--which is the same reason you shouldn't make attributions about what everybody else thinks based on one or two examples.

No offense, but claiming that the main reason people root for Cooney is because he is white is complete bunk from my perspective. I root for all of our players equally to succeed. Cooney's offensive performance has been subpar--no question. But due to the fact that we only have three scholarship guards on the roster, he's going to have to play. And suggesting that he doesn't bring anything to the table besides shooting is what I'd call looking at it with blinders.
I actually don't think he brings shooting to the table actually. And see how I said some people's perspective, not all.

I actually don't think he brings shooting to the table actually. And see how I said some people's perspective, not all.

It doesn't have anything to do with "giving him a pass" [him being white], and everything to do with the fact that we have three guards, and therefore he needs to contribute by playing some minutes to give the starters some rest.

There are definitely things to be critical about with Cooney's performance this year. But in their zeal to criticize him, some posters also overlook the positive contributions--and then revert to the reverse racism complaint when people point out said positive things, like him playing aggressive defense.

I'm just tired of the race aspect being brought into it. Just keep the criticism at the performance level, and I don't have an issue.

It doesn't have anything to do with "giving him a pass" [him being white], and everything to do with the fact that we have three guards, and therefore he needs to play some minutes.

There are definitely things to be critical about with Cooney's performance this year. But in their zeal to criticize him, some posters also overlook the positive contributions--and then complain about reverse racism when people point out said positive things, like him playing aggressive defense.

I'm just tired of the race aspect being brought into it. Just keep the criticism at the performance level, and I don't have an issue.
all I am criticizing is that our 9th man has probably been mentioned just as much as our top guys since the season started . You don't see nearly as many compliments on how triche has done a great job taking over the leadership role or how mcw has been clutch or how fair is the most consistent player in the country . It's all cooney cooney cooney when he rarely plays ten mins a game

all I am criticizing is that our 9th man has probably been mentioned just as much as our top guys since the season started . You don't see nearly as many compliments on how triche has done a great job taking over the leadership role or how mcw has been clutch or how fair is the most consistent player in the country . It's all cooney cooney cooney when he rarely plays ten mins a game

You know what's frustrating to me? That Cooney gets mentioned just as much of our top guys since the season started, with threads like this one popping up on a day when he scored 8 points [which equates to 15% of our scoring today, by the way].

When the obvious truth is that he has to play, and is going to play, due to our limited backcourt depth. I don't get the fixation, nor the need to throw one of our players under the bus.

Reactions: MCC
tell us some more about how we're in BIG BIG BIG trouble if Cooney plays!

I actually see more criticism of Cooney on this board than praise. :rolleyes: But you go...you validate your *true* feelings.

Cooney plays very good defense, is active and breaks up a lot of passes. Dont just look at his offense. He's still getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Against the #1 and #21 ranked teams in the country the past two games:
4-8 50% FG, 2-5 40% 3pt
4 steals 1 turnover
10 points in 22 minutes
3rd guard, redshirt freshman
What do I win?

I thought overall the defense was decent. Cincy scored some monster threes from well beyond NBA range. You can't expect the defense to cover that far out. But Cooney is a much better defender than previous freshmen have been. Hell, he's a better defender than some of our upperclassmen guards have been. He was on the Cincy players like white on rice. His shooting is still suspect but not his D.

Yup, he hustles on d ...may get out of position. But he works hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom