Can someone please explain to me how the NIL works | Syracusefan.com

Can someone please explain to me how the NIL works

Actionthrill

Walk On
I didn’t think schools could pay the players. If they can’t how is it that a school like Kansas can afford to pay AD all that money. And if Kansas has people that can pay the players shouldn’t SU have the money to pay players the same amount. I know Kansas is a blue blood but do they really make that much more money than we do? And do they really have that many more donors than us? Kansas is not Texas where they have people with oil money backing them up. In my opinion we should at “least be on the same level as Kansas when it comes to the NIL. Can someone please explain to me why we’re not and also answer my other questions. I really appreciate all of you. Thanks for reading my post.

Alumni.
Special “collectives” for rolling up cash to then commit to players.
It’s an easy way for the NCAA to (pretend to) stay on the sidelines, schools + NCAA to not give players a SINGLE penny of TV + conference + ticket + merch sales, yet allow players to “have a job” benefiting from their name image likeness by third parties (advertising and merch). See: Olivia Dunne on TV pushing recycled gymwear to middle age men.
Basically, it UNforbids boosters paying players.

The intent was to allow for student athletes to do autograph signings, receive sponsorships and sell merchandise bearing their name, image or likeness in exchange for compensation. Because the NCAA doesn't have any foresight, they left it up to interpretation and as a result, boosters exploited the NIL rule. While the intent was fair, we're in uncharted wilderness because of Mark Emmett and the rest of the NCAA.

There are few instances of NIL being done within the spirit of the rule. It's become a free for all with players with no marketability getting paid like they were employees of the school by overzealous boosters.

The intent was to allow for student athletes to do autograph signings, receive sponsorships and sell merchandise bearing their name, image or likeness in exchange for compensation. Because the NCAA doesn't have any foresight, they left it up to interpretation and as a result, boosters exploited the NIL rule. While the intent was fair, we're in uncharted wilderness because of Mark Emmett and the rest of the NCAA.

There are few instances of NIL being done within the spirit of the rule. It's become a free for all with players with no marketability getting paid like they were employees of the school by overzealous boosters.
And good thing he didn't ask about if foreign student athletes were eligible for NIL. The answer is no. As in no, make that yes, they are. Especially if you are a Blue Blood and you never followed the rules anyway.

And if Kansas has people that can pay the players shouldn’t SU have the money to pay players the same amount. I know Kansas is a blue blood but do they really make that much more money than we do? And do they really have that many more donors than us?
Kansas aside, insert any school name there, this is interesting to me. I just always assume that every major school has more whales than SU does. SUs alumni base is small. It would be interesting to know more about the boosters at major programs, if that can even be studied.

Kansas, WV, Texas, etc, these private, but beloved as the 'state' schools in their areas, it seems like they are going to have the most influential donor pools...

NIL works like this:

1) School decides which players they want
2) School asks donors to pay those players
3) Donors pay players to attend the school
4) If NCAA asks, the schools says they don’t know anything about anything and the donors say they really just liked the kid’s smile and paid for him to make some Instagram posts and what school he picked didn’t matter to them.

NIL works like this:

1) School decides which players they want
2) School asks donors to pay those players
3) Donors pay players to attend the school
4) If NCAA asks, the schools says they don’t know anything about anything and the donors say they really just liked the kid’s smile and paid for him to make some Instagram posts and what school he picked didn’t matter to them.
underrated tweet

They knew it was going to go down just like it has.

If you like, UVA will tell you how it works at UVA. See the link below

P.S. I am an SU undergrad and UVA law grad. That is how I rec'd the invite, which is open to all, but when it comes to fan interest I am all Syracuse Orange.

Alumni.
Special “collectives” for rolling up cash to then commit to players.
It’s an easy way for the NCAA to (pretend to) stay on the sidelines, schools + NCAA to not give players a SINGLE penny of TV + conference + ticket + merch sales, yet allow players to “have a job” benefiting from their name image likeness by third parties (advertising and merch). See: Olivia Dunne on TV pushing recycled gymwear to middle age men.
Basically, it UNforbids boosters paying players.
its like how restaraunts dont pay wiaters any salary but rely on the goodness of the hearts of the public to do so, instead

Fans pay talented children to go to their favorite school.

Sometimes they tell the children they are going to pay them more than they actually do to trick them into going to the school they want.

There aren't really any rules.

Schools enjoy signing billion dollar television contracts without having to pay the stars of those TV shows any money.

There are 2 stories with NIL. Athletes that are stars and stars that are athletes, neither could get paid now both can.

Pretty blonde girl who is "ok" at gymnastics also has a growing social media following. (Some will say she's better than "ok" but I don't see her at the Olympics/Nationals)

In 2020 she joins tik tok and publishes videos of her routines and also other content. She can't get paid.
2021 rolls around, new NIL rules, now she can and does get paid (highest $$$ deals for female athlete)
Rightfully gets to cash in with her 7M tik tok and 4M insta followers.

There are 2 stories with NIL. Athletes that are stars and stars that are athletes, neither could get paid now both can.

Pretty blonde girl who is "ok" at gymnastics also has a growing social media following. (Some will say she's better than "ok" but I don't see her at the Olympics/Nationals)

In 2020 she joins tik tok and publishes videos of her routines and also other content. She can't get paid.
2021 rolls around, new NIL rules, now she can and does get paid (highest $$$ deals for female athlete)
Rightfully gets to cash in with her 7M tik tok and 4M insta followers.
but nothing was stopping her from making money before from being popular, was it?

if a hollywood actress wanted to attend college and play a ncaa sport that would have always been allowed right??

independently making your own money has always been allowed, right?

whats new is that schools and school affiliated people can now participate with student athletes to make money together?

or...am I missing something?

but nothing was stopping her from making money before from being popular, was it?

if a hollywood actress wanted to attend college and play a ncaa sport that would have always been allowed right??

whats new is that schools and school affiliated people can now participate with student athletes to make money together?

The NCAA was absolutely stopping her from making money from her popularity before.

Independently making your own money wasn't allowed.

That's why rights to benefit from one's own name, image, and likeness needed to be defined.

independently making money has always been allowed, kind of. That depends on the degree of this independence.

Yes, if you have a totally independent business that with earnings that has nothing to do with the NCAA sport you are participating in then sure no problem. The problem is typically this is not practical.

Taking your example of a Hollywood actress attends college and play an NCAA sport, can she keep the money from the actress side? Yes as long as that side is totally independent from her sport. So a child actor say Shirley Temple grows up and happens to be a talented athlete to play in NCAA volleyball then yes she can collect money for her acting job and not violate NCAA rules. Now if the order is reversed, say a very talented basketball player Michael Jordan while still at North Carolina was approached by Hollywood to do a Bugs Bunny movie over the summer, that would be a violation because the opportunity would not be possible without his fame as a basketball player first, then whatever money offered is somewhat tied to his athletic participation at the school, so the movie is using in some way shape form his name, image or likeness. That would have been a violation.

So if someone can prove there is no relation between the NCAA sport and the activity he/she is getting paid for, no problem. Most of the time there is some relation it's just a matter of degree.

Technically you can have a college basketball player participating in NCAA games, while playing professional baseball and getting paid, as long as the basketball didn't lead to the baseball.

There was a case in 2013, an NCAA wrestler from Minnesota created a youtube video, a music video. In the video he identified himself as an athlete and a wrestler, and that was enough for NCAA to declare him ineligible due to his receiving compensation for that video. If he had not mentioned the name of his school, or that he is a wrestler, or wear a shirt with the school's name on it etc...yes he could have gotten away with it. Later on he said he did this on purpose to see if NCAA would act, and by NCAA acting this thing got noticed and his video hits skyrocketed.

The NIL took away this restriction.

Last edited:
independently making money has always been allowed, kind of. That depends on the degree of this independence.

Yes, if you have a totally independent business that with earnings that has nothing to do with the NCAA sport you are participating in then sure no problem. The problem is typically this is not practical.

Taking your example of a Hollywood actress attends college and play an NCAA sport, can she keep the money from the actress side? Yes as long as that side is totally independent from her sport. So a child actor say Shirley Temple grows up and happens to be a talented athlete to play in NCAA volley then yes she can collect money for her acting job and not violate NCAA rules. Now if the order is reversed, say a very talented basketball player Michael Jordan while still at North Carolina was approached by Hollywood to do a Bugs Bunny movie over the summer, that would be a violation because the opportunity would not be possible without his fame as a basketball player first, the whatever money offered is somewhat tied to his athletic participation at the school, so the movie is using in some way shape form his name, image or likeness. That would have been a violation.

So if someone can prove there is no relation between the NCAA sport and the activity he/she is getting paid for, no problem. Most of the time there is some relation it's just a matter of degree.

Technically you can have a college basketball player participating in NCAA games, while playing professional baseball and getting paid, as long as the basketball didn't lead to the baseball.

There was a case in 2013, an NCAA wrestler from Minnesota created a youtube video, a music video. In the video he identified himself as an athlete and a wrestler, and that was enough for NCAA to declare him ineligible due to his receiving compensation for that video. If he had not mentioned the name of his school, or that he is a wrestler, or wear a shirt with the school's name on it etc...yes he could have gotten away with it. Later on he said he did this on purpose to see if NCAA would act, and by NCAA acting this thing got noticed and his video hits skyrocketed.

The NIL took away this restriction.
thanks, I get it now...

always going to be some grey area there, in most cases then.

If I won the powerball I’d go rogue and just offer “NIL” cash to the kids I see on this site’s recruiting boards. I’d never talk to anyone at SU giving the school plausible deniability

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom