Can the Post Standard stop with the BS? | Syracusefan.com

Can the Post Standard stop with the BS?

Nick44

All Conference
I get it, the media needs drama to survive but is the Bud article about Dino being a hot commodity for other schools really necessary already? He's been our coach for 10 freaking minutes. Between Buds nonsense and Bailey's constant negative tweets it gets ridiculous after awhile.

Positive energy for Syracuse football not only helps the program, it helps the PS too. The more people excited about this program, the more willing to read the constant that the PS spits out. Yet at every opportunity they do what they can to push negativity and steer away the intrigued fan.

I get it, the media needs drama to survive but is the Bud article about Dino being a hot commodity for other schools really necessary already? He's been our coach for 10 freaking minutes. Between Buds nonsense and Bailey's constant negative tweets it gets ridiculous after awhile.

Positive energy for Syracuse football not only helps the program, it helps the PS too. The more people excited about this program, the more willing to read the constant that the PS spits out. Yet at every opportunity they do what they can to push negativity and steer away the intrigued fan.

Bud very rarely writes something coherent that actually makes sense. It's usually a pile of gobbly gook filled with buzzwords from the 30's.

was the word "whiz-bang" used?

My suggestion to you is never, ever click on a Bud article. Life is too short and you are never going to get those minutes back.

Bud does not like sports, and he does not like SU.

Yet at every opportunity they do what they can to push negativity and steer away the intrigued fan.
First of all, that's 100% false. They don't go out of their way to be negative. Bud's a columnist, not a reporter. He gives opinions, not facts. That's his job, and every paper in the country has columnists. Also, he's terrible. But Bailey's articles yesterday were just straight info - Dunk to transfer, injury report.

Second, it's not their job to promote the program. They're the most accessible and visible news source and by far the best. Their job is to ask and answer questions, get a feel for what's going on, have a finger on the pulse. They're not supposed to report how wonderful everything is, even if that's what people want to hear.

First of all, that's 100% false. They don't go out of their way to be negative. Bud's a columnist, not a reporter. He gives opinions, not facts. That's his job, and every paper in the country has columnists. Also, he's terrible. But Bailey's articles yesterday were just straight info - Dunk to transfer, injury report.

Second, it's not their job to promote the program. They're the most accessible and visible news source and by far the best. Their job is to ask and answer questions, get a feel for what's going on, have a finger on the pulse. They're not supposed to report how wonderful everything is, even if that's what people want to hear.

Also the "snark" in the tweets is a generational thing. The DO kids do it too. Definitely not geared at my generation. :(

Bud goes out of his way to be negative. Sorry. When it comes to SU football and hoops, he takes the negative slant 90% of the time.
Okay. I refuse to read Bud because he's extremely out of touch and antiquated. So show me this 90% negativity thing. Give me articles.

I'm glad someone brought this up. I saw the article last night on Facebook and unfortunately I can never tell who writes it until I actually click the link (well sometimes I can tell by the headline, sometimes not).

I personally think it's in poor taste but I suppose that's his prerogative. Yes, it's not his job to promote the program but at a time where fans are excited, proud, and starting to see that proof of the faith we've been told to have that's the garbage he writes?

The PS needs to rid itself of Bud. Bailey reports the news, IMO.

He mentioned the fact that Purdue has an opening. The day Dino leaves to take the Purdue job is the day Bud writes an article that isn't full of self absorbed crap. In other words, never.

This is one week after they published an article discussing how the honeymoon was over for Babers.

Funny.
Opinion pieces from two different writers. Bailey also clarified his "honeymoon" comments on Twitter. He said he was implying the fans only have faith so far, and losing to Wake left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Bud just has no idea what's going on.

I agree with all that, but I will say it again: you can write an article about negative things from a viewpoint that takes the readers passion for the program into account. Waters on the Bball side is a ninja Jedi master at that stuff.

The football guys seem to delight in delivering bad news.

It's a bad look.

Opinion pieces from two different writers. Bailey also clarified his "honeymoon" comments on Twitter. He said he was implying the fans only have faith so far, and losing to Wake left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Bud just has no idea what's going on.

Yeah, finger in the program? Sure. Pulse of the fans? Nah.

I agree with all that, but I will say it again: you can write an article about negative things from a viewpoint that takes the readers passion for the program into account. Waters on the Bball side is a ninja Jedi master at that stuff.

The football guys seem to delight in delivering bad news.

It's a bad look.
Donna Ditota does a lot of good pieces that have substance without the negative slant. I prefer that to the snarky negativism or the veiled negativism from Bud. Even when the title of his rants seems positive, he throws in backhanded compliments.

Donna Ditota does a lot of good pieces that have substance without the negative slant. I prefer that to the snarky negativism or the veiled negativism from Bud. Even when the title of his rants seems positive, he throws in backhanded compliments.
Agree. Really enjoy Donna's pieces because they don't take unnecessary shots. I guess living in Syracuse makes you (writers) want to be negative all the time, (the weather perhaps ;)) but it seems to radiate out of some of these writers. It's frustrating, because we diehard fans understand the issues we have seen with the football team. The Wake game was ugly, no two ways about it, but it also was played in a torrential rainstorm, with young players who are learning the system. Bailey and Mink relish going negative. Carlson, who I went to school with at SU, seems to as well. Donna and Mike on the hoops side are way more positive, to me. Perhaps its cause we have been consistently good over there? Either way, its refreshing. I tend to not read the football articles, at all because of it, and never read Bud.