Can we all agree making the tournament at large is the bare minimum expectation this season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can we all agree making the tournament at large is the bare minimum expectation this season

Yeah, college ball now just seems like a stage for the top 10 or so recruits to promote their brand before they get drafted.

I’m glad we won our natty when the sport was still somewhat popular and relevant.
You know, I don't agree with DC with the 44 and Lampkin thing. But, if I'm around in 20 years I'm not going to remember one thing about him other than probably say dry rub under my breath and giggle while I'll remember DC being one of if not the best ever here, long NBA career, always talking about Syracuse, always in the stands and always being a good ambassador until all of this, even before Lampkin with the University stuff.

I'm going to root for Lampkin, but unless we win a title, will we ever even have a legend again? Only way it happens is if it's a Melo type year. Maybe we need to hang onto the legends a little tighter before we start kicking them in the face for some fancy new dry rub.

You know, I don't agree with DC with the 44 and Lampkin thing. But, if I'm around in 20 years I'm not going to remember one thing about him other than probably say dry rub under my breath and giggle while I'll remember DC being one of if not the best ever here, long NBA career, always talking about Syracuse, always in the stands and always being a good ambassador until all of this, even before Lampkin with the University stuff.

I'm going to root for Lampkin, but unless we win a title, will we ever even have a legend again? Only way it happens is if it's a Melo type year. Maybe we need to hang onto the legends a little tighter before we start kicking them in the face for some fancy new dry rub.

If you look around the NBA and the stars that played college ball- the connection to where they played is gone except for a select few. Not to mention the stars skip or come from over seas more and more. College bball lacks the icons anymore that connect it to the NBA like the old days

I hate this point of view. UNC has had a few duds since we joined the conference. Red has improved the talent. He can improve it more by winning games. They know what they have to do. It’s about executing their plan and game day coaching.
I dunno. This looks like 16-18 wins to me.

Im going to cheer Eddie on but hes a fool for saying his food is the only good food in Syracuse. Even the chef he hired said eddie cant cook. His rub is lemon pepper with cajun spice, any decent "home cook" has that figured out. Thats similar to being good at CPR and saying you are the best doctor around. He has alot to learn.
If he didnt have his NIL his "restaurant" would close in less than a year.
Good for him using NIL to his advantage tho.

Last edited:
Maybe I'll just go back and watch all the old games I can and become a historian, sounds way better than following this sport for me now.
I did this (and Cubs, Bucks, etc.) during the pandemic when there were no sports. Was honestly a lot of fun lol. Also just incredible watching how intense our defense used to be compared to today.

Back to the OP,

Tournament is the bare minimum expectation.

I think next expectation or goal is can they finish in the Top of 4 of the league in the regular season? This program has avoided the top of the league standings like it is the plague.

I think next expectation or goal is can they finish in the Top of 4 of the league in the regular season? This program has avoided the top of the league standings like it is the plague.
Surely it's the goal, but I'm skeptical this team has top 4 talent. Not to belabor the point, but the staff knew they needed to acquire a high-level scorer, like an Erik Reynolds, to make a jump. Can JJ, Bell, Donnie be that? We'll see.

Luckily, the depth is there to make up the talent in the aggregate, but I see a gap in "top 4" talent. I'd guess another season on the bubble. Hopefully it's the right side of it.

I really hope the team makes the tourney, but I really have no idea how this team will perform. They could go 24-10 or 10-24. Neither would surprise me. Total and complete unknown.

Someone posted on another thread that it’s crickets around here so I figured I would get the conversation started.

Red needs to make the tournament next year to show that he’s turning the ship around.

We have a top 10 Freshman PF and brought in a very expensive center. JJ needs to perform to his reputation coming in. Bell needs to show some fight. Those guys will in all likelihood be the backbone of the team.

It’s not asking to contend for a conference title, but making it as an 8-10 seed is the expectation. Anything more than that is gravy. Anything less than that and the seat gets extremely hot in 25-26.
Making the tournament is 100% the bare minimum expectation. Agreed.

Back to the OP,

Tournament is the bare minimum expectation.

Hell we've gone through a plague since they were at the top of the standings.

I guess I'm a crazy optimist, but I think the pieces fit better than last year. If nobody gets hurt, I could see this team winning 24 games this year.
How do you break that down by individual games/opponents?
Okay, I'll bump my win number to 19-21 games, based on our schedule (road trip to California is two games without returning East).
We're going to have to beat Maryland, Georgetown, SMU, and maybe Tennessee/Texas to pull off 20+ wins, IMHO.
Virginia Tech could be a trap game, as could one of our home games vs. Pitt, Wake, and GT.

How do you break that down by individual games/opponents?
Okay, I'll bump my win number to 19-21 games, based on our schedule (road trip to California is two games without returning East).
We're going to have to beat Maryland, Georgetown, SMU, and maybe Tennessee/Texas to pull off 20+ wins, IMHO.
Virginia Tech could be a trap game, as could one of our home games vs. Pitt, Wake, and GT.
It's the year to turn it around. Win the ephing games. I don't want to see this projecting sht before the season.

Yep - the pieces are (should be) there for Red. Veterans, returners, highly-regarded freshmen. Find a way, have to get to the tournament.

The way the schedule is set up we could have an early holiday gift via doing the necessary work to be in every early bracket projection before Xmas day. 4 really good opportunities in the non conference maybe 5. From there it’s just getting better and building and being consistent winning some big conference games and avoiding the bad losses.

We never do anything easy but the key is always getting those non conference resume builders early. An older and locked in team should be ready and capable of doing so.

The way the schedule is set up we could have an early holiday gift via doing the necessary work to be in every early bracket projection before Xmas day. 4 really good opportunities in the non conference maybe 5. From there it’s just getting better and building and being consistent winning some big conference games and avoiding the bad losses.

We never do anything easy but the key is always getting those non conference resume builders early. An older and locked in team should be ready and capable of doing so.
Having an older team is especially important given the current state of the ACC. There's been less Q1 opportunities than the SEC, Big 12, Big 10. An older team is better equipped to win games in November and December than a young talented team that takes a couple months to adjust.