can we all agree that Steve Rene is not the answer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

can we all agree that Steve Rene is not the answer

Rene leaves a lot to be desired, but I can't remember one instance this year where he's had solid blocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm okay with sticking with experience/steady hands for the first couple games against tough competition. Hopefully we'll have lots of chances to experiment this weekend.

Agreed. For all the trashing of how bad the special teams has been, you'd think we'd be happy to stick with conservative there until we get through the tough opening weeks of the schedule...you want a young guy getting his clock cleaned to add a score for NU or USC? That was maybe the one point of the game I could handle conservative play...now against Stony Brook? that's another story...

you are right. Kobena is very fast but just doesn't have the instincts to find holes. Very fustrating watching him return kicks, almost like Nassib needing to add a little touch on his shorter passes Kobena needs to learn to use his speed and moves to find holes and not just 100 percent full speed ahead.
kobena is averaging 19.3 per with a longest listed at 26.

The play where he got killed should have been a penalty. You get a 1 yard buffer when returning punts...seemed like he was on him just as he caught it.
haven't watched a replay but at the time i thought it was a clean hit. the backward punt chase was "nunesesque"

haven't watched a replay but at the time i thought it was a clean hit. the backward punt chase was "nuneseque"
It is at the 34 min mark on espn3.com. I have watched it a couple times and I think it was a penalty. No big deal, wouldn't change the game, but he does have sure hands.

Rene leaves a lot to be desired, but I can't remember one instance this year where he's had solid blocking.

Yeah, it is a combo of breakdowns and a nice thing about Rene is he does catch and hold onto the ball (kid got clobbered once) but he can not make a bad decision like he did vs USC which lost SU some decent field position. It seemed to me that they went after the punter somewhat hard and wanted Rene to be on his own but I agree...we need more out of that position and I haven't seen Rene make tacklers miss him for the time he's been doing this.

He can catch the ball. And according to our uber-conservative head coach, that's good enough for him.

Agree, there must be more than one kid on this team who can catch a punt.

He can catch the ball. And according to our uber-conservative head coach, that's good enough for him.

Yeah the guy that wants to run a no huddle high tempo offense and a heavy blitz defense is uber conservative.

This is what I was saying earlier in the thread-Look how much time the other teams' returner gets compared to us. Rene has no time to make a move. Put him against our special teams and he'll look much better. Personally, Kobena at KR has had more chances to prove himself and has shown nothing for over a year (except for one return against inferior competition last year). He's very fast, but not super instinctive and almost always goes down with the 1st tackler.

Yeah the guy that wants to run a no huddle high tempo offense and a heavy blitz defense is uber conservative.
But see, he is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I suppose if you have suspect blocking, you need a guy who at least can catch the ball.

Nonsense, how the guy makes a handful of calls doesn't define his style.
It's not a handful.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom