Can we have a grown up convo about what we think the base offense set is? | Syracusefan.com

Can we have a grown up convo about what we think the base offense set is?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
What do we actually think the base offense set looks like?

I suspect it's going to be a 3 wide, single back set.

I know everyone's enamored with Gadsden nominally listed as a TE, but 1) he's going to be on the field a lot, 2) lining him up with a finger in the dirt doesn't play to his strengths and might even hinder his advantages so calling the base offense a two TE set probably doesn't make sense, and 3) Villari is also going to be on the field a lot as a natural tight end anyway. For purposes of where he lives in the offensive set, Gadsden is one of the 3 wides.

Justus-Simmons would seem to be another. Then there's a snap battle for the 3rd spot between Haynes/Pena/Meeks/Hatcher/one of the many freshmen etc. It looks like we have a lot of productive options there.

Allen's a no brainer as the back.

Also for all you jokers out there I'm assuming 5 OL and a QB (McCord).

3 wide single back. That's the move.

I know everyone's enamored with Gadsden nominally listed as a TE, but 1) he's going to be on the field a lot, 2) lining him up with a finger in the dirt doesn't play to his strengths and might even hinder his advantages so calling the base offense a two TE set probably doesn't make sense, and 3) Villari is also going to be on the field a lot as a natural tight end anyway. For purposes of where he lives in the offensive set, Gadsden is one of the 3 wides.

Justus-Simmons would seem to be another. Then there's a snap battle for the 3rd spot between Haynes/Pena/Meeks/Hatcher/one of the many freshmen etc. It looks like we have a lot of productive options there.

I also expect 11 personnel (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB) to be our most used offensive package.

However after OG and Villari, it’s unclear if we have a receiving threat at TE (unless Tremble comes in physically ready to rumble with ACC DL and LBs).

I think we see those two on the field together a bunch, but I think our offence will deploy the TE (either OG or Villari) in a Flex or H-back capacity much more than inline with their hand in the dirt.

I think Justus-Simmons and Haynes will be our clear cut top two WRs. I expect Emanuel Ross to solidify a spot near the top of the rotation, but Meeks, Pena, Hatcher, Hornsby, and Gill all will see the field.

So I agree on 11 personnel as our base package, but I think it will more often be 3 WR + OG OR Villari than 2 WR + OG AND Villari.

It will be interesting to see how they use OG and Vallari. OG is a mismatch against most safeties and LBs but if you run him out more as the WR then he goes more against DBs. Vallari if he wants to get to the next level as a TE needs to show blocking and ability to get out in the pass lanes. if we trust the 3rd TE we could even go with 3 TE sets and see if teams go heavy to slow the run down and then spring OG and Valari out more.

Lots of options. Lets hope we get to use them.

How fast we go will also control some of the usage. If we can run down hill without bringing in the TEs all the time to block we might go 4 WR sets with OG

So I agree on 11 personnel as our base package, but I think it will more often be 3 WR + OG OR Villari than 2 WR + OG AND Villari.
Interesting.

It is a big looming question as to how many snaps Gadsden and Villari get together.

I think it will bounce between 3-1 and 4-1 depending on team and what their weakness is. see a lot of 4 wide with Villari and GADSEN split out wide. How hard would that be to defend. Makes my head hurt just trying to figure it out.

I agree, I think the base offense is an 11 package with some 12 mixed in.

Bills are a close comp personnel wise in my opinion

Funny thing was I believe they had close to the lowest 2 TE sets last year

Mang is definitely the third TE.

I find the title “grown up discussion” and the topic “base offense”, particularly in June, to be oxymoronic.
I don’t think there are a lot of grown up discussions about sports, particularly Xs and Os.

I think everyone has the right idea. Mostly 11 personnel. I don't see them doing too much 12. That will be more situational ( 4 min offense, short yardage, redzone). I think Villari will be relied on more for blocking situations and Oronde will still be used in the slot for certain packages. All this can be determined by the advantages they have vs that particular team.

Haven't looked at Nixon's offense at Baylor but just based on how many WRs they brought in I would think they'll go 11 personnel as a base. But with the staff's comments on attacking opponent's weakness we'll prolly see a variety of personnel/formations

HCFB doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who relies upon deception. I suspect he will run an offense that tries to identify mismatches without necessarily trying to be overly “cute.” I don’t think he will outsmart himself.

Its going to be interesting to see the play calling as well. We for the first time in a very long time have weapons all over the O and i believe in Nixon we have a mindset to use them as he isn't wed to any particular scheme. We also have a very Savy QB who has the skills and brains to make the correct read. I think we are going to be an extremely difficult team to stop.

I was hoping for a Wing-T, but this will work too.

HCFB doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who relies upon deception. I suspect he will run an offense that tries to identify mismatches without necessarily trying to be overly “cute.” I don’t think he will outsmart himself.
I think this is right.

I suspect the deception will come from play action passing. It's not going to come from a ton of pre snap movement or formation shifts.

I think you're probably right, that the base will be 3 WR and 1 RB, with a strong side TE to block and run routes over the middle.

I could see some two RB sets (at least I'd like to ...), just for the counters, lead blockers on sweeps and all sorts of options it permits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom