Can we please put the "Dome needs to be replaced" theory to rest? | Syracusefan.com

Can we please put the "Dome needs to be replaced" theory to rest?

nzm136

All Conference
Sure the Dome isn't perfect. What stadium is? However, the Dome is pretty good. All the seats have great views, the climate can be hot, but it beats the alternative of what's probably happening outside, and the stadium is built to be loud, which makes the environment great (when fans actually show up).

*Sure the Dome doesn't have seats, but many college venues don't have seats. Anyway, they make cushions with seat backs. Sure it costs a little extra, but given how cheap Dome tickets are, the only way on Earth that could possibly be an issue is if you're actively looking for things to complain about. And honestly, the seating issue isn't going to change because of the basketball setup. Adding seats would be very problematic because the Dome's basketball setup is less than ideal, so seating density is at a premium, and adding seats would make the seating MUCH less dense.

*Sure the parking isn't great, better than the vast majority of venues. If you think that the parking is bad, drive down to the traffic jam that is State College on game day, park in a cow field, and spend up to half an hour walking through cow droppings and then get back to me. We only have to take a shuttle and then walk through a campus quad surrounded by game day festivities. And yes, the festivities need to be improved, but that is a whole different can of worms.

*Sure the outside could use a little work, and the school probable does need to build some amenities around the Dome. Specifically a museum honoring past Syracuse athletes would be nice, but there are MUCH worse-looking stadiums in the land and a museum is an entirely different issue. Anyway, what does the exterior of the stadium have to do with fan enjoyment inside the stadium. Will anyone really be less happy if we blow out Clemson or FSU because our stadium is grey? I won't.

*And, for anyone who really, really doesn't think that the Dome has good seating: go to PSU in November and buy a nose-bleed ticket and tell me the numbers of the players on the field, tell me how much you paid for the ticket, and tell me how cold it was, and then go to a Syracuse game and tell me that your seats in Beaver Stadium were better.

Anyway, regardless of what you think, Syracuse doesn't have the money to build a brand new stadium, or worse, a brand new stadium AND a brand new gymnasium for basketball. As it stands right now, Syracuse has paid for the Dome many times over, so our expenses are low. That means instead of diverting money to overhead, we can divert money to coaching salaries. That's a beautiful thing.

The problem isn't with the Dome, it's with the fans who haven't been showing up. Fortunately, I think that will change under HCSS. For SU fans to show up, I think we need to play real teams, we need to win, and we need a charismatic head coach. We're in the ACC, so we play real teams and HCSS is charismatic and his staff is engaging. That means that all he has to do is win, which is something that he should be capable of doing. SU recruiting seems to have gotten better pretty much every year since GRob left, and HCSS was one of the best DC's in the nation.

(This is in response to a couple threads on this board and several Post Standard stories)

All your points aside, I think the lighting in the Dome for football games is horrible... Looks fine for basketball as the light reflects off the hardwood floor, but with the turf, the lighting is awful.

Don't believe me?

Watch a Falcons, Saints, Lions, or Colts game on TV - the quality of their lighting compared to the Carrier Dome is night and day.

I agree with you that the seats/sight lines in the Dome are fantastic and that the parking's not as bad as everyone says (especially when compared to other big time schools), but let's not kid ourselves... The Dome needs some major updates if it's gonna be viable for 10-20 more years.

Correction: The Dome is perfect.

If the Dome is replaced it's not going to be for the reason that it isn't sufficient or we need to improve on it. It will be for other reasons.

We can discuss the dome all day til the cows come home, but it will be the SU sports venue for the next 50+ years guaranteed.

The Dome is here to stay and will not be replaced. SU is looking at many potential plans for the Dome. The number one priority will be to put a hard roof on the current facility. The current structure can't handle it, but you can place new bases and supports around the perimeter of the Dome and then attach a new roof to that. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about extending the Dome to the west. SU and Dome management have similar thoughts.. It would allow for a huge a new lobby and new refreshment and restrooms especially for basketball. An expansive lobby, restrooms, offices, locker rooms, etc. would make the dome very modern. A solid roof would bring costs of heating the building down significantly. With an air supported roof no longer in place, you might be able to be more creative on attaching a new western expansion to the original structure. The Dome would lose 3 seats for every row in the dome if individual seats replaced the current bench style seating. It would bring the capacity to around 42,000. That's too many seats to lose. I wouldn't expect anything to take place for many years. I would guess that the earliest you might think about it, will be when the roof is replaced again. If they replace the roof again, you won't see any upgrades for about 20 years after the replacement of the roof. I'm guessing that the current roof has about 7-12 years left.

Sure the Dome isn't perfect. What stadium is? However, the Dome is pretty good. All the seats have great views, the climate can be hot, but it beats the alternative of what's probably happening outside, and the stadium is built to be loud, which makes the environment great (when fans actually show up).

*Sure the Dome doesn't have seats, but many college venues don't have seats. Anyway, they make cushions with seat backs. Sure it costs a little extra, but given how cheap Dome tickets are, the only way on Earth that could possibly be an issue is if you're actively looking for things to complain about. And honestly, the seating issue isn't going to change because of the basketball setup. Adding seats would be very problematic because the Dome's basketball setup is less than ideal, so seating density is at a premium, and adding seats would make the seating MUCH less dense.

*Sure the parking isn't great, better than the vast majority of venues. If you think that the parking is bad, drive down to the traffic jam that is State College on game day, park in a cow field, and spend up to half an hour walking through cow droppings and then get back to me. We only have to take a shuttle and then walk through a campus quad surrounded by game day festivities. And yes, the festivities need to be improved, but that is a whole different can of worms.

*Sure the outside could use a little work, and the school probable does need to build some amenities around the Dome. Specifically a museum honoring past Syracuse athletes would be nice, but there are MUCH worse-looking stadiums in the land and a museum is an entirely different issue. Anyway, what does the exterior of the stadium have to do with fan enjoyment inside the stadium. Will anyone really be less happy if we blow out Clemson or FSU because our stadium is grey? I won't.

*And, for anyone who really, really doesn't think that the Dome has good seating: go to PSU in November and buy a nose-bleed ticket and tell me the numbers of the players on the field, tell me how much you paid for the ticket, and tell me how cold it was, and then go to a Syracuse game and tell me that your seats in Beaver Stadium were better.

Anyway, regardless of what you think, Syracuse doesn't have the money to build a brand new stadium, or worse, a brand new stadium AND a brand new gymnasium for basketball. As it stands right now, Syracuse has paid for the Dome many times over, so our expenses are low. That means instead of diverting money to overhead, we can divert money to coaching salaries. That's a beautiful thing.

The problem isn't with the Dome, it's with the fans who haven't been showing up. Fortunately, I think that will change under HCSS. For SU fans to show up, I think we need to play real teams, we need to win, and we need a charismatic head coach. We're in the ACC, so we play real teams and HCSS is charismatic and his staff is engaging. That means that all he has to do is win, which is something that he should be capable of doing. SU recruiting seems to have gotten better pretty much every year since GRob left, and HCSS was one of the best DC's in the nation.

(This is in response to a couple threads on this board and several Post Standard stories)
Well said. Agree 100%

The fact that people continually come on here to defend the Dome means that the Dome needs help.

Every time this thread (in one form or another) pops up, I'm reminded of that scene in "Ted" where Ted and John discuss Boston girls.

The Dome is here to stay and will not be replaced. SU is looking at many potential plans for the Dome. The number one priority will be to put a hard roof on the current facility. The current structure can't handle it, but you can place new bases and supports around the perimeter of the Dome and then attach a new roof to that. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about extending the Dome to the west. SU and Dome management have similar thoughts.. It would allow for a huge a new lobby and new refreshment and restrooms especially for basketball. An expansive lobby, restrooms, offices, locker rooms, etc. would make the dome very modern. A solid roof would bring costs of heating the building down significantly. With an air supported roof no longer in place, you might be able to be more creative on attaching a new western expansion to the original structure. The Dome would lose 3 seats for every row in the dome if individual seats replaced the current bench style seating. It would bring the capacity to around 42,000. That's too many seats to lose. I wouldn't expect anything to take place for many years. I would guess that the earliest you might think about it, will be when the roof is replaced again. If they replace the roof again, you won't see any upgrades for about 20 years after the replacement of the roof. I'm guessing that the current roof has about 7-12 years left.

1. Original roof lasted 19 years from 1980-1999. The current roof has been on for 14 years. It may only have 5 years left.

2. Every row in the Dome has an even number of seats. Stadiums hate to have "singles" left over in every row. If they're not comfortable with losing 3 seats in each row, they'll never go for losing 4 seats in each row to convert to individual seats.

3. To install roof support pylons around the perimeter of the Dome, you would lose the access road that runs between the Dome and Archbold Gym, and the road that runs between the Dome and ESF. Not sure if this is a viable option, since those roads are used for handicap busses during games.

We can discuss the dome all day til the cows come home, but it will be the SU sports venue for the next 50+ years guaranteed.

I would take that bet. Of course, 50 years from now I won't be able to collect or pay off.

Wall of text.. failed to read..

It hasn't been discussed/talked about for a week or so... only one keeping it alive is OP...hypocritical if you ask me.

If a superstructure has to be built to support a hard dome roof; couldn't they extend the height of the dome to accommodate more seats? I'm thinking something similar to LSU's expansion several years ago that expanded the seating capacity of their stadium.

original.png

1. Original roof lasted 19 years from 1980-1999. The current roof has been on for 14 years. It may only have 5 years left.

2. Every row in the Dome has an even number of seats. Stadiums hate to have "singles" left over in every row. If they're not comfortable with losing 3 seats in each row, they'll never go for losing 4 seats in each row to convert to individual seats.

3. To install roof support pylons around the perimeter of the Dome, you would lose the access road that runs between the Dome and Archbold Gym, and the road that runs between the Dome and ESF. Not sure if this is a viable option, since those roads are used for handicap busses during games.

The original roof was an inferior design and it was also dropped at least twice (and got to experience the fun of the Labor Day storm shaking lights and speakers off its underbelly eight months before it was retired).

Unless something catastrophic happens, the current roof (not lowered or damaged since installation, and designed with a longer life expectancy than its predecessor) will be around for a long time. SU's gotten some bang for its buck with that purchase.

I'd settle for backs on the benched in the upper deck. And orange padding on the seats and backs in every seat. Don't want to lose the capacity mentioned earlier with regards to going to individual seats.

Not that I think the Dome needs to be replaced but I hope they are thinking about all possibilities including replacement. Rainy day funds should be established for this purpose. Anything else is shortsighted.

All your points aside, I think the lighting in the Dome for football games is horrible... Looks fine for basketball as the light reflects off the hardwood floor, but with the turf, the lighting is awful.

Don't believe me?

Watch a Falcons, Saints, Lions, or Colts game on TV - the quality of their lighting compared to the Carrier Dome is night and day.

I agree with you that the seats/sight lines in the Dome are fantastic and that the parking's not as bad as everyone says (especially when compared to other big time schools), but let's not kid ourselves... The Dome needs some major updates if it's gonna be viable for 10-20 more years.

Agree with you on the lighting for football games in the dome. If you watch a replay from TW sports and even ESPN it looks like were playing in a cave or some type of underground bunker. I have been hoping they would upgrade the lights for the better part of a decade now, we desperately need it.

It's not a theory. Theories imply thought and research, it's stupidity, the dome is perfect for sure football and if we can pack it once again it will become a tough road trip for Acc opponents.

I want the Dome to be the most impressive, intimidating, dank house of pain ever assembled by man for sport.

Lighting sucks? Sounds good to me.

115 degrees in there? Someone crank up the heat.

Crowd isn't loud enough? The beers are too expensive.

If we're going to replace the Dome, I only want it to be a larger version of this.

3025536-bm2002-0968-08292340-thunderdome-.jpg

If anyone thinks that SU has 7-800 million dollars to replace the Carrier Dome, you're crazy. I was told that point blank. The original purpose of the roofing system was to be able to afford a $26 million dollar stadium with the state paying $15 million. That should tell you how much SU can afford to build a new stadium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom