Can we stop being idiotic | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop being idiotic

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
And just start Copeland already? Beyond lame we just start each half with our hands tied behind our backs because of “convention”. I don’t even care if zero game results would have been altered. It’s just dumb and intellectually bereft of logic. I can think of no other reason other than clinging to an obviously incorrect conclusion drawn at some point. Sunk costs.

“Oh well it doesn’t really matter , it’s who finishes that is more important.” This is great logic. Aristotle himself would applaud. We should have been starting the walk ons all this time and then brought in the actual good players. I mean it doesn’t matter who starts.

And just start Copeland already? Beyond lame we just start each half with our hands tied behind our backs because of “convention”. I don’t even care if zero game results would have been altered. It’s just dumb and intellectually bereft of logic. I can think of no other reason other than clinging to an obviously incorrect conclusion drawn at some point. Sunk costs.

“Oh well it doesn’t really matter , it’s who finishes that is more important.” This is great logic. Aristotle himself would applaud. We should have been starting the walk ons all this time and then brought in the actual good players. I mean it doesn’t matter who starts.

Against Clemson we were down 1 when Taylor came out. Clemson then went on a 14-0 run.

He's a perfect 6th man. But when you don't have 5...yeah, he should start. I find myself thinking 'get Cope in' 30 seconds into every half.

Against Clemson we were down 1 when Taylor came out. Clemson then went on a 14-0 run.
I don’t care if they went on a 100 to nothing run. Completely besides the point and also a meaningless 1 game sample. I’m sure Bobby Meachum went 3/4 one game . Should have batted ahead of Rickey. I guess if you watch the games and actually think that the other guy should be starting …… then there’s no point in even discussing.

Clemson has two big strong guys that play a lot.

Maliq was matched up with Hall. The problem Coach Autry had was who was going to cover Carrothead?

The only healthy player we have on the roster remotely close to hissize and strength is Taylor. If you watched the game, you would see that when Clemson had two two dangerous bigs in at the same time, he tried to have Brown and Taylor in to avoid having an awful mismatch on defense.

I think Taylor often plays to avoid bad mismatches on defense.

Hopefully next year, we will have a couple of players on our roster at center and PF who are big enough to cover ACC level centers and PFs. Right now our roster is a real mess.

The only healthy player we have on the roster remotely close to his size and strength is Taylor.
Could we not just borrow a couple lineman from the football team if we were just trying to beef up our interior defense? Would there be any dropoff?

If we're not going to get any shooting anyway, I'd rather put Enrique Cruz in there. I imagine he has quick enough feet.

Maliq was matched up with Hall. The problem Coach Autry had was who was going to cover Carrothead?

The only healthy player we have on the roster remotely close to hissize and strength is Taylor. If you watched the game, you would see that when Clemson had two two dangerous bigs in at the same time, he tried to have Brown and Taylor in to avoid having an awful mismatch on defense.

I think Taylor often plays to avoid bad mismatches on defense.

Hopefully next year, we will have a couple of players on our roster at center and PF who are big enough to cover ACC level centers and PFs. Right now our roster is a real mess.

Yeah, I just don't know what the answer is with the roster we have.

JT is absolutely anemic on the offensive side of things and it's not even like he's an all world defender, but I guess Red just wants some size out there.

I'm not sure if it's the right move or not because Taylor, at least right now, is not capable of playing at this level. His numbers are awful -- he has five games of scoring zero and six games of scoring one or two points. When your PER is under 8 and your TS% is at 43% (rounded up)... I dunno.

Tough spot. I can see the argument for starting Q pretty clearly, especially since we're on a slide. I guess I get what Red is doing keeping JT starting (and it's obvious why Benny wasn't starting before he was booted) for some additional size and allowing Q to come in for a number of people off the bench.

Dunno, tough spot.

Last edited:

And Taylor then came back in and the run stopped. This is one of the reasons I said if you can't see why he plays, you need some help lol.

And we started the 2nd half comeback with Taylor in.

Sorry but I cannot agree with these arguments. He is one of five players. Correlation does not equal causation. Think that both the run Clemson went on and our run to come back were about way more than just Taylor. We replaced Brown with Hima towards the start of that 14-0 run too. Do we really think that the guy who had zero points was the main reason for our comeback early in the second half? That was thanks to the guys on the team who can actually put the ball in the hoop every now and then.

Could we not just borrow a couple lineman from the football team if we were just trying to beef up our interior defense? Would there be any dropoff?

If we're not going to get any shooting anyway, I'd rather put Enrique Cruz in there. I imagine he has quick enough feet.
Satire?

Sorry but I cannot agree with these arguments. He is one of five players. Correlation does not equal causation. Think that both the run Clemson went on and our run to come back were about way more than just Taylor. We replaced Brown with Hima towards the start of that 14-0 run too. Do we really think that the guy who had zero points was the main reason for our comeback early in the second half? That was thanks to the guys on the team who can actually put the ball in the hoop every now and then.

How can you disagree with my statement? It’s fact in response to it being said we always start in a hole. Personally I’d start Q. But Red knows what he wants and I think Justin still starts and plays some minutes because of what Tomcat said and what one of the coaches said in an interview about fundamental defense.

How can you disagree with my statement? It’s fact in response to it being said we always start in a hole. Personally I’d start Q. But Red knows what he wants and I think Justin still starts and plays some minutes because of what Tomcat said and what one of the coaches said in an interview about fundamental defense.
Seemed like you were implying that Clemson went on a 14-0 run because we took Taylor out, and we were keeping it close up to that point because we had Taylor in. If that is not what you were saying I apologize.

You can't teach 6'7" 330lbs.

I bet Enrique would set fantastic picks... The big question is the quality of his roll.

Satire?
Partly yes and no. The pundits are saying Red keeps taylor in the game for his beef. It's a backhanded compliment.

If that's truly the case, we might as well go all in on the beef. That's all I'm saying.

Seemed like you were implying that Clemson went on a 14-0 run because we took Taylor out, and we were keeping it close up to that point because we had Taylor in. If that is not what you were saying I apologize.

Nope i was replying to a specific statement.

What actually has happened to Taylor? He was never Buddy Buckets but he at least used to be able to hit a shot or two. Anymore, he is doing well to a) even get a shot up and b) draw iron. Like what the heck??

What actually has happened to Taylor? He was never Buddy Buckets but he at least used to be able to hit a shot or two. Anymore, he is doing well to a) even get a shot up and b) draw iron. Like what the heck??
Someone posted his high school stats and apparently his 3pt shooting in HS was like Russ Westbrook levels, under 30%. I actually didn't even believe it and still don't because if that is true, what possibly indicated he could be a good shooter here?

Last edited:
I don't think hes done his part and pushed forward since the Miami game.

Sure he should start over Taylor. And if you want to give Judah a 2 handed shove out of the program and hand over the starting PG duties to Cope I understand that as well.

Someone posted his high school stats and apparently his 3pt shooting in college was like Russ Westbrook levels, under 30%. I actually didn't even believe it and still don't because if that is true, what possibly indicated he could be a good shooter here?
I've wondered the same. I found this: Justin Taylor's St. Anne's-Belfield High School Basketball Stats. 47% as a freshman, 34% as a sophomore. No idea if it's accurate.

Nope i was replying to a specific statement.
My fault. But I hope most people agree that the good things that happened for us in the Clemson game were not because of Justin Taylor and bad things did not happen because he was on the bench.

"Zach Wilson isn't a good starting QB. Starting him every game hurts our chances to win the game"

"Yeah but one game this year he played real well vs KC and they won the super bowl"

Same difference.

The proof is in the numbers with Taylor. He's not a starting level player. Copeland is better than him. I agree that ultimately it doesnt matter at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom