Can we stop being idiotic | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop being idiotic

"Zach Wilson isn't a good starting QB. Starting him every game hurts our chances to win the game"

"Yeah but one game this year he played real well vs KC and they won the super bowl"

Same difference.

The proof is in the numbers with Taylor. He's not a starting level player. Copeland is better than him. I agree that ultimately it doesnt matter at this point.

That’s a big stretch. I said nothing more than I don’t agree that we start every half with our hands tied behind our backs. Clemson was an example. But I also said above that I would start Q. He’s the better player. But so far Red looks at it differently. Don’t know why for sure but a couple of possible reasons were given above and a 3rd could be Red likes the flexibility Q provides since he can insert him for any one of 4 players.

I made a point to watch Taylor during warmups Saturday and he could not miss. I think at one point I counted him making 12 in a row. I wonder if this is a change of mechanics thing that hasn't carried over to games.

There's an Athletic article that I read part of before the sign in pop-up blocked me. His coach at IMG told the writer that Taylor had one of the best shots of any player he had coached.
Who knows what's going on in Taylor's head.

There's an Athletic article that I read part of before the sign in pop-up blocked me. His coach at IMG told the writer that Taylor had one of the best shots of any player he had coached.
Who knows what's going on in Taylor's head.
He looked confident in limited minutes last year too. Something’s off this season. He appears as broken as JJ was in December.

He looked confident in limited minutes last year too. Something’s off this season. He appears as broken as JJ was in December.

I'd hate to see him get booted and magically turn into a Andy Rautins type player but if Red can replace him with a sure thing he should do it.

What actually has happened to Taylor? He was never Buddy Buckets but he at least used to be able to hit a shot or two. Anymore, he is doing well to a) even get a shot up and b) draw iron. Like what the heck??
I'll just keep banging this drum - watch his feet.

He does an astonishingly bad job preparing himself to shoot.

And even when he does, he hesitates.

I'd hate to see him get booted and magically turn into an Andy Rautins type player but if Red can replace him with a sure thing he should do it.
That’s the thing too is that I think the chances are likely that he becomes a very good player for us or another team. He really just needs to get his shot going and I think everything else will take care of itself. I think the pressure of producing has gotten to his head and maybe coming off the bench giving him an opportunity to scout the opposing defense can be very beneficial to his game right now. I think when he doesn’t make his first or second shot by the time he comes back in the game for his second sequence, I think there isn’t confidence from his teammates and quite frankly himself to make a shot.

Cope is perfect in the 6th man role and I hope he plays it next year too. And I'm a massive Cope fan, but we'll be a better team next year with a stud portal guard and Cope playing his same role.

Here's why I'm saying that: In the post-season meeting it'll be easier to keep him from the portal if Cope stays in the same role to finish the year -- it's easier to say you'll have at least the same role with a chance for more, instead of saying despite starting the last 1/3 of the season you'll be demoted to play off the bench next year.

I'll just keep banging this drum - watch his feet.

He does an astonishingly bad job preparing himself to shoot.

And even when he does, he hesitates.

Watching him the last few games, it doesn't even look like he wants the ball (even though last game it wasn't quite as bad). He was putting himself in space that didn't look like he was really a threat in any capacity.

I dunno, his shot is slow when he does shoot and it doesn't look right. Granted, I haven't been checking his feet, but it really seems like he's totally broken on the offensive end.

I'm not saying he's not trying, but it looks like some gnarly stuff is going on and he isn't just letting the game come to him.

Watching him the last few games, it doesn't even look like he wants the ball (even though last game it wasn't quite as bad). He was putting himself in space that didn't look like he was really a threat in any capacity.

I dunno, his shot is slow when he does shoot and it doesn't look right. Granted, I haven't been checking his feet, but it really seems like he's totally broken on the offensive end.

I'm not saying he's not trying, but it looks like some gnarly stuff is going on and he isn't just letting the game come to him.
It's extremely rare he catches in position where he's square to the basket.

I'm fine with not starting Copeland. Not having ANYONE on your bench who might change the pace/trajectory of a game isn't great strategy.
I hate starting every game down 7-10 points. We did not bring Copeland in until way too late late game.

Copeland is in his perfect role and should stay there. Next year Copeland should also be a bench piece.

Clemson has two big strong guys that play a lot.

Maliq was matched up with Hall. The problem Coach Autry had was who was going to cover Carrothead?

The only healthy player we have on the roster remotely close to hissize and strength is Taylor. If you watched the game, you would see that when Clemson had two two dangerous bigs in at the same time, he tried to have Brown and Taylor in to avoid having an awful mismatch on defense.

I think Taylor often plays to avoid bad mismatches on defense.

Hopefully next year, we will have a couple of players on our roster at center and PF who are big enough to cover ACC level centers and PFs. Right now our roster is a real mess.
yeah in theory that makes sense...now with the roster as is...theres almost zero wiggle room for the coach to influence proceedings

but does little to explain why taylor played so much when the roster was more complete

for example watching him try to cover filipowski at the beginning of the 2nd half of the Duke game was braindead

Could we not just borrow a couple lineman from the football team if we were just trying to beef up our interior defense? Would there be any dropoff?

If we're not going to get any shooting anyway, I'd rather put Enrique Cruz in there. I imagine he has quick enough feet.
This is not a bad idea. A couple of the big guys must have played the 4 or 5 in high school. Even if we just get 10 hard fouls from them we could wear down guys from the other team. Play like Pitt.

Someone posted his high school stats and apparently his 3pt shooting in HS was like Russ Westbrook levels, under 30%. I actually didn't even believe it and still don't because if that is true, what possibly indicated he could be a good shooter here?
Yeah think he got exposed a bit at IMG his senior year.
He had some ugly games shooting the ball.

I made a point to watch Taylor during warmups Saturday and he could not miss. I think at one point I counted him making 12 in a row. I wonder if this is a change of mechanics thing that hasn't carried over to games.
Problem is in games you don’t have 30 minutes to release the shot.

I'm fine with not starting Copeland. Not having ANYONE on your bench who might change the pace/trajectory of a game isn't great strategy.
So then we should have several of our current starters begin the game on the bench because then we could really alter the games trajectory.

Logic is dead .

Yeah think he got exposed a bit at IMG his senior year.
He had some ugly games shooting the ball.
if taylors issue is not being able to deal with length defending him, play him at guard and allow him to go against shorter players

if taylors issue is not being able to deal with length defending him, play him at guard and allow him to go against shorter players
I agree with that theory however, he's too slow to play guard in M2M. If we go zone possibly, and that was probably the idea when he was recruited. But he's not playing over JJ due to offense and Cuffe and QC are probably the best on ball defenders in M2M. He's a tweener that doesn't really fit so he starts at Forward to give the mirage that we have more than 5 serviceable players.

If Cope had an outside shot it would be a no brainer. He has a high ceiling.

So then we should have several of our current starters begin the game on the bench because then we could really alter the games trajectory.

Logic is dead .
A child thinks, "Just put in all your best players at once!" You imagining that to be some kind of keen insight into the game that you've stumbled on is bizarre. Unfortunately, game theory as well as the history of basketball isn't on your side in this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom