Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now?

longtimefan said:
True. But the bottom line is the bottom line. As has been stated many times over the years, JB has given the hometown discount to SU.

True JB has been under paid for years. But we can't use state money and I don't see a booster bucking up a million per. Heck I remember years ago we found out Rollie was paid by boosters.

Absolutely not!! This isn't 1976 anymore, you don't give a completely unproven young guy the job. Why would you even consider placing the program in GMac's hands?

It worked with JB. What determines if someone is "proven" ? Does the coach who gets the job have to have one at least one national championship?

It worked with JB. What determines if someone is "proven" ? Does the coach who gets the job have to have one at least one national championship?

You turn the keys to your program over to GMac, I'd prefer mine go to someone with a bit more experience. He's been a professional coach who can recruit off campus for what, all of 4 years?

You turn the keys to your program over to GMac, I'd prefer mine go to someone with a bit more experience. He's been a professional coach who can recruit off campus for what, all of 4 years?

Does "proven" mean they have to have one at least one national championship? Does coach Hopkins pass your standards?

Does "proven" mean they have to have one at least one national championship? Does coach Hopkins pass your standards?

Hopkins at least has been an assistant for over twenty years, is the guy who runs practice, and is lead recruiter.

JB brought in Orr and Bouie as Danforths assistant. What has Gmac done?

Hopkins at least has been an assistant for over twenty years, is the guy who runs practice, and is lead recruiter.

JB brought in Orr and Bouie as Danforths assistant. What has Gmac done?

GMac's was a pretty darn good basketball player. Lots of heart and determination. Ice in his veins!

And Magic Johnson was a helluva player, but he couldn't coach a lick.

Since coach Hopkins doesn't have a national championship under his belt is he qualified?

Since coach Hopkins doesn't have a national championship under his belt is he qualified?

Also there are not many active coaches that have won an NC:

Coach K
Roy Williams
Tom Izzo
Rick Pitino
John Calipari
Steve Fisher
Bill Self
Tubby Smith
Larry Brown
Kevin Ollie
Jim Boeheim

EDIT: Forgot Billy Donovan. Hat tip to tbonezone

Last edited:
CraigForth said:
Fair point, who do you suggest?
I don't have any suggestions. Hopkins might be the right guy. I do hope all options are considered when the time comes.

Why are you bringing up national 'ships in every post?
Sorting by NC's to rate coaches is one of the dumbest concepts ever, even by internet standards. Come up with a better case if you want to campaign for Gmac.

Hop has 20 years of experience under JB. He has USA basketball experience. He is a proven recruiter. And he has JB's blessing.

I like the idea of going with someone who I believe will be loyal to the program, and Hop is really the only one that comes close to qualifying and has the SU history. Would it be nice if he had a couple of years experience in the lead chair. Yes. But, that ain't going to happen because no one is hiring him knowing that he may be on his way back here in 3 years or less.

Could GMAC be a good head coach. Probably, but not here; at least not as JB's successor.

It's interesting. Most of us are all in with Hop, but JB's coaching tree hasn't exactly bloomed. Maybe we should be looking outside of the JB coaching tree. Who has had continuing success and continues to have a job other than Pitino? I usually don't consider Pitino to be part of the tree because he was only here a couple of years and it was so early in the JB's career that it isn't as though Pitino was trained by JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom